U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 AM

6,046 posts, read 9,734,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I raise my children. I am responsible for them. I feed, clothe and educate them. That is my job. Their job is to follow my rules. If they don't, they can suffer the consequences or find other living arrangements.

See above. They may be physically adults, or have the physical characteristics of adults, but they are not adults mentally. You should definitely understand that.

In any event, I really shouldn't have responded to you, because what you have been saying is beyond idiotic, but I will repeat that since I am an adult, a grown man, I can set whatever rules I want for my kids and enforce them however I want. I can also set whatever rules I want for myself.

I am strict with myself actually - I have sex with one woman (my wife) and am disciplined, even ascetic, in other aspects of my life. But if I wanted to be a sexual libertine, if I were or were not married, I would do so, as it is my prerogative as an adult. And If I wanted to say on a speculative Internet thread that I do not mind if good-looking women are comfortable being naked, it has absolutely no connection with what I think about anyone else, including my children, having sex. The fact that you are making such a connection and attempting to make an idiotic argument speaks to your lack of understanding of life, not any failings or hypocrisies on my part. So please do me a favor. Go somewhere and work on your issues instead of trying to create them for others.
You're right. But all I'm saying is if your rules for yourself are so much different than the rules you expect your kids to follow, that's the pot calling the kettle black, and you shouldn't be shocked if your kids don't want to follow your rules. Kids learn by examples. If they see you do something, they think it's alright.

And the second part I bolded actually has a connection. You admit you like seeing good looking naked women. So you shouldn't act shocked when your teenage kids also like seeing the opposite sex naked. Parental rules cannot compete with human nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 AM

5,077 posts, read 12,707,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You're right. But all I'm saying is if your rules for yourself are so much different than the rules you expect your kids to follow, that's the pot calling the kettle black, and you shouldn't be shocked if your kids don't want to follow your rules. Kids learn by examples. If they see you do something, they think it's alright.

And the second part I bolded actually has a connection. You admit you like seeing good looking naked women. So you shouldn't act shocked when your teenage kids also like seeing the opposite sex naked. Parental rules cannot compete with human nature.

I understand where both of you are coming from but Lucario has it right. When you are a parent you not only have to be your childrens protector, advisor, role model, parent, friend, etc... You ARE there to guide kids, and help them grow into worthy adults. They DO need rules, they DO need consequence.

Sure you can let them branch a little on their own but the fact is, as parents its OUR responsibility to take care of those kids. They don't like the rules? They can find a new place to live and see if life is any easier.

My son thinks a lot like you, so I get it. But until YOU become a parent, you just will not be able to relate.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,619 times
My state has an annual naked bike ride through the busiest town. It is only against the law to "get" undressed in public, not "be" undressed in public. While I have no problem with nudity and actually hate clothes, there's just something wrong about adding a bike seat to the equation!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 PM

951 posts, read 1,563,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I have a friend who loves to strut around naked at home..What do you think of people like that (who are comfortable being naked infront of others)?

ie- could be locker-room situations, nude beaches, etc
It's a great way to clean the house. Women should look for guys like that.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,790,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
My state has an annual naked bike ride through the busiest town. It is only against the law to "get" undressed in public, not "be" undressed in public. While I have no problem with nudity and actually hate clothes, there's just something wrong about adding a bike seat to the equation!
Oh wow. Interesting. Have you ever participated, or have you just been a spectator?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 PM

3,788 posts, read 6,672,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Well that all makes sense. I'm sorry ma'am, but you can't undress out here. I will arrest you if you do. But if you go inside, get undressed and come out again, then thats ok.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:44 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,902,513 times
Quote:
I never said I was over 21. I said I was over 18.
My bad.

Quote:
And do you wanna know why I care? Because parents like you bother me. Parents like you are one of the reasons I never want to be a parent.
Then don't be a parent. The gene pool thanks you.

Quote:
Parents like you are also one of the reasons I never dated in high school.
You did not date in high school because you chose not to date in high school, or, nobody chose to date you in high school. That's on you.

Quote:
You're the type of parent that would automatically assume any boy that has a thing for your daughter is evil.
I have no dog in this fight, having no daughters. And I used to be a boy myself. That said, I don't assume any boy is evil. I assume that any boy COULD be evil, and that even if the boy is not evil, there are consequences, projectable and or/unintended, to premarital or underage sex. Consequences that are avoidable but potentially devastating, and my job would be, if I had a daughter, to help her avoid them. I have already successfully avoided them as a father to one son and intend to avoid them again.

Quote:
It bothers me that parents assume(d) false bad things about me.
Deal with it. It goes with being a young man. Convince me, or other parents, that you're an honorable young man, and you're OK. Man up.

Quote:
On a thread about teens having sex, you implied that you would get violent with any boy that had consensual sex with your daughter. Now that's just over the top.
It depends on the situation. I walk inside my house, and some dude is in flagrante delicto with my daughter in my bed, yeah, ass will be whipped because that's disrespecting my house and going against my explicit instructions. Over the top? OK.

Quote:
And I don't even want to have sex. I have a girls best interest in mind.
Good for you.

Quote:
But you strike me as the type of parent that would assume boys want to use your daughter for sex. Once again, assuming false bad things.
I'm a man, a father and a coach. I know how boys are. I know teenage boys want to have sex with teenage girls (and vice versa). I'm just trying to avoid illegitimacy and teenage pregnancy, as they have been devastating to our society. Don't understand that? I can't help you.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:51 PM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times
I have friends who are nudists and believe me, it's not pretty. But it's not about pretty, I think it's an expression of freedom. I haven't seen a single nudist yet with a good body. They are just average folks. And most of the ones I've seen are older so parts are sagging.

I have a 20 ft fence and my backyard is totally private. Unless you have a helicopter. I swim naked and hang out in the yard. No big deal.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,790,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have friends who are nudists and believe me, it's not pretty. But it's not about pretty, I think it's an expression of freedom. I haven't seen a single nudist yet with a good body. They are just average folks. And most of the ones I've seen are older so parts are sagging.

I have a 20 ft fence and my backyard is totally private. Unless you have a helicopter. I swim naked and hang out in the yard. No big deal.
I have a 20 foot fence too and, while I'm not one to prance around naked, I love the privacy of being able to lounge in the backyard in my underwear without any invasion of privacy issues.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,902,513 times
Quote:
You obviously have had no parenting at home. I do expect my children to follow the same rules I followed. I did not have sex until I was an adult, I did not sleep around and father lots of kids with lots of women, and I lived - and live - a disciplined, principled life. I expect the same from my sons. Why can't you comprehend this?

Quote:
And the second part I bolded actually has a connection. You admit you like seeing good looking naked women. So you shouldn't act shocked when your teenage kids also like seeing the opposite sex naked.
Apples and onions. I'm a heterosexual adult male. The female body is beautiful. But I'm not out there nailing everything with two X chromosomes either.

So I would not be shocked if my kids liked looking at naked women. It's natural. But I'm also not going to turn my home into a high school love hotel, either.

Quote:
Parental rules cannot compete with human nature.
Parental rules compete with human nature all the time. It's called being a good parent. Some kids like drinking, some like drugs, some like sex, some like all of the above. But children need boundaries and they need to follow rules, and that means I will not permit mine to participate in these things with my sanction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology