Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I am so unhappy with my life and living off savings on top of it. I have nothing that makes me happy when I wake up in the morning, and nothing to look forward to when I go to sleep. I am just glad I don't have kids or a spouse who would have to see me like this.

I moved to a new city for a job that ended up being a position I should have not even been offered due to my experience not being right for the position. I ended up getting new jobs, but they are very on call. I volunteer 2x a week doing something I like, but it's not enough.

I have no friends here, or family. I go to Meetup events and talk to people, but never get friends from this. I go to synagogue events and they are just things that allow me to kill the time.

I regularly apply for full time jobs that I am qualified for. I also work out regularly and completely changed my diet and eat right.

I am just so miserable right now. I am on medication, seeing a therapist, call up my parents and old friends, and try to realize things are "learning experiences", and try to listen to all those other cliches, but I still feel this way.
You realize, of course, that your description of your day to day life is many people's idea of heaven. Can you imagine having that much time just for YOURSELF? OMG, being able to exercise and work on your diet is something that many people never seem to find time for.

As far as making friends, these things take time. On the other hand, there are people who seem to be able to make friends instantly. Everyone is different. Try volunteering with a Hospice for a little while and you will gain a new perspective of how wonderful your life is.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,895 times
Quote:
I am so unhappy with my life and living off savings on top of it. I have nothing that makes me happy when I wake up in the morning, and nothing to look forward to when I go to sleep. I am just glad I don't have kids or a spouse who would have to see me like this.

I moved to a new city for a job that ended up being a position I should have not even been offered due to my experience not being right for the position. I ended up getting new jobs, but they are very on call. I volunteer 2x a week doing something I like, but it's not enough.

I have no friends here, or family. I go to Meetup events and talk to people, but never get friends from this. I go to synagogue events and they are just things that allow me to kill the time.

I regularly apply for full time jobs that I am qualified for. I also work out regularly and completely changed my diet and eat right.

I am just so miserable right now. I am on medication, seeing a therapist, call up my parents and old friends, and try to realize things are "learning experiences", and try to listen to all those other cliches, but I still feel this way.
Medication and therapy for an employment false start in a strange town? Sounds like you made a mistake. Took a job that was wrong for you and moved out of town to do it. Are far away from old friends and family and lonely as hell. So, go home and start over. Move in with your folks for a few months till you catch your second wind and see things more clearly. Don't compound your problems with medication you don't need. Haven't you been following the Michael Jackson case? Just a little levity, and if it is not as simple as I am making it out to be I'm sure you will let me know. If you're of a mind to.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:

What you need honey is a plan of action. Geez, if you are in San Diego like your profile shows, I'd be thinking of moving to a more affordable place asap.

You get this one life to live, and you alone can live it.

I know things haven't worked out like you would like, and that sucks.

But only you can change where you are.

We all go thru tough things at one time or another in life. Try to remember, it's not about saying "why are all these bad things happening to me???" but instead of saying "now that these bad things have happened to me what am I going to do about it?"

Old 01-26-2011, 03:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
I can't believe suicide is in your title... That's a very permanent solution for the very temporary problem you're having right now. You're in your 20's and being in a new city without a job hardly qualifies, particularly since you have a family you can always go back to.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,895 times
I'm gonna take a shot and say there is more to this. You are feeling like a failure, and conspicuously so. You made a big show of moving to a new city for your new big job and you wound up with egg on your face. Your pride is hurt, and your stubbornness will not allow you to admit defeat. Unless there is a big financial consideration for your staying put, then why else are you still there? There are times when it's important to dig in and tough it out, and other times when that determination can make a fool out of us. A tree that won't bend will soon snap; and could be that's where the mention of suicide came from. Better to bend, take the hit, learn your lesson and find another way. You'll be all the stronger and all the wiser for it. And you may even end up with a better sense of humor on top of it.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,431 times
You should move shug.
Find happiness with yourself.
Get off the medication.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:40 PM

Sometimes things are really not as complicated as we try to make them

Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
...When you're not happy with yourself, the only people you will attract are other gloom and doomers. Maybe you should wear all black clothing and smoke clove cigarettes.
LOL - I already do that, but it hasn't destroyed my ability to find occasional enjoyment here and there in life.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:35 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,854 times
I spoke to my landlord about getting out of my lease. The only way out is if I pay the remaining 6 months. I was told if I can find someone to take over my lease, there won't be any fees to pay. I have advertised it already. No one is interested and realistically, probably won't be. We already have 2 other vacancies that have been available for 2 months or so now..... I have 2 on call jobs here in San Diego so I am making a little bit of money to have something to do to pay part of the bills.

I think I may just drive up home every weekend or so. I just spoke to my parents today and there is stress to look forward to when I get back. The roof caved in so my parents got that fixed and fixed the walls are something at the house. They told me all my belongings are in bags. I don't think people realize how much crap I will have in bags including all the stuff I kept under my bed.

I just feel like a total loser. I just want to move back with my parents and live somewhere that will always be familiar to me.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I spoke to my landlord about getting out of my lease. The only way out is if I pay the remaining 6 months. I was told if I can find someone to take over my lease, there won't be any fees to pay. I have advertised it already. No one is interested and realistically, probably won't be. We already have 2 other vacancies that have been available for 2 months or so now..... I have 2 on call jobs here in San Diego so I am making a little bit of money to have something to do to pay part of the bills.

I think I may just drive up home every weekend or so. I just spoke to my parents today and there is stress to look forward to when I get back. The roof caved in so my parents got that fixed and fixed the walls are something at the house. They told me all my belongings are in bags. I don't think people realize how much crap I will have in bags including all the stuff I kept under my bed.

I just feel like a total loser. I just want to move back with my parents and live somewhere that will always be familiar to me.

Do you want a little cheese to go along with that whine Naomi??

Come on honey, time to put on your big girl panties and pull yourself together - I know you can do it

Granted, you got a harsh dose of how cold the world can be sometimes when you struck out on your own. But don't let the fact it didn't go like you thought it would upset you so much. You've got to keep a positive attitude and realize that these kinds of things happen. You are only a loser is you tell yourself you are, and it is just ridiculous to be your own worst enemy!

Buck up - things will get better in time I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology