U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 AM

7,001 posts, read 18,167,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
From what I've read of your posts you seem anything but..

But I could be wrong..

Appearances can be deceiving my little peach, er....Mr. Humble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM

42,837 posts, read 77,122,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
But let's say you have an extreme loyalty for a person, a person that you can't imagine not standing by, no matter what. And let's say that that person has someone in their life that fits this profile of a sociopath, someone that they have the same intense loyalty to. You don't want this bad news type in your life, you don't what him/her in their life, but there they are, because of your loyalties.
Afraid there isn't a whole lot you can do in this situation... It's not up to you.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,399,669 times
I actually did know someone who was a sociopath from my home town. He ended up murdering a woman and died in prison in Deer Lodge, Montana. He was a very withdrawn and quiet guy but it's creepy to think about him because he even met my parents.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 AM

12,941 posts, read 18,852,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If you go by these definitions, sociopaths may very well account for about half of the population... I've given up on the labels. If you see a duck, you discard it! No need to wonder if it's really this type of duck or that type of duck as you don't need any of these ducks.
Eliminating all ducks would result in an imbalance in nature. They are there by grand design for a reason; although we might not know what that reason is, we need to realize that what has worked for millenia is not ours to trifle with.

Quack.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 PM

2,179 posts, read 2,812,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I actually did know someone who was a sociopath from my home town. He ended up murdering a woman and died in prison in Deer Lodge, Montana. He was a very withdrawn and quiet guy but it's creepy to think about him because he even met my parents.
Yeah, they say there is a scale of severity. 'Course, might just depend on when you run into them.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:02 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,122,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Eliminating all ducks would result in an imbalance in nature.
Oh, I don't have such lofty ambitions. I just want the ducks out of MY life!

Quote:
Quack.
Quack-quack.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM

33,141 posts, read 39,090,825 times
Good article describing a sociopath and/or sociopathic behavior
Profile of the Sociopath
Certainly does remind me of a description of a few media big wigs

Old 01-27-2011, 12:15 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,262,088 times
The last one I remember was my GF business associate. I warned my GF about her but she wouldn't listen. Turned out I was right. That woman was simply dead inside and anywhere she went, people were on the defensive because she was so incisive, deceitful and just plain nasty. The stuff she pull was completly insane.

Thing is, most sociopaths aren't intelligent masterminds. Most of the time they're idiots who act on impulse, going through life lying and walking over people. It rarely last very long, unless they are intelligent enough to hide their cards, but most of the time, they end up locked up or move on to find other hosts to parasite.

Not everyone you have a big conflict with is a sociopath. In fact, they tend to generate fascination. Purely predatory people display a certain strenght, until it starts to impact you.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,399,669 times
Mr. Humble wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, they say there is a scale of severity. 'Course, might just depend on when you run into them.
I agree. You get the feeling that a person that has no empathy for other human beings is just scheming and fantasizing about what they'd really enjoy doing. Most of them probably don't act on their desires but a few of them end up crossing that line when they begin planning and then actually living out their twisted acts of cruelty. The BTK killer seems like a perfect example of someone who is at the far end of the scale. He could fool his family and friends into thinking he was a caring person but then make elaborate plans to carry out the most horrible crimes you can imagine. Thankfully, people like that appear to be very rare.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:46 PM

2,179 posts, read 2,812,842 times
They say they are born not made; I do know that two people can experience near identical childhoods and turn out polar opposites with regards to the attributes cited. I have a hunch they are born weak, and so the same bumps that many of us experienced but were able to grow stronger from, even more empathetic from break their spirit. This could give them the self-perceived right and mission to try to get even with the world; I'm just having trouble accepting the idea of a mutant gene at work here. But I always do; 'cause hopelessness is something that I try to avoid until I just can't delude myself anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology