U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:48 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,319,343 times

Advertisements

All the time in college. Some in the workplace, too. They are mostly people who are favorites or supervisors. More sociopathic women than men. The power goes to their heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
How to deal with common everyday sociopaths. (article)

Found this simple but engaging article on sociopaths.

Does anyone know a lot about this?

If you don't and don't have time to read it, I would break down the symptoms of a sociopath into lack of empathy, conscience and guilt. Inability to love. Manipulation is second nature to them. Boredom due to lack of sincere connections with other human beings that leaves them with more time than the rest of us to plan and deceive, and to win at all costs.

Do you suspect that you have/had one in your life? If so, what did you do, what will you do about it?

Most disturbing in the article is that they can not be treated, do not even respond to Oxycontin, which is supposed to increase feelings of warmth and love. They make up an estimated 2 to 3% of the population and there is somewhat of a range in severity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,319,343 times
Technically there are more women in the USA. So technically there will be more women sociopaths in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Can't say it's been conclusively diagnosed, but this: lack of empathy, conscience and guilt. Inability to love. Manipulation is second nature to them. ... more time than the rest of us to plan and deceive, and to win at all costs - sounds a lot like my husband's ex-wife!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,275,368 times
Sociopath is a pop culture concept. If think people should simply accept that everybody is different and some persons will be bad. Presuming that everybody will necessarily be nice and accommodating is naive.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:20 AM

15,088 posts, read 16,938,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Sociopaths ... Know Any?

I'm Mr.Cat, my pleasure to meet you!
Haha...

I do, too, but I'm on medication so everyone's safe...

Old 09-27-2013, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
How to deal with common everyday sociopaths. (article)

Found this simple but engaging article on sociopaths.

Does anyone know a lot about this?

If you don't and don't have time to read it, I would break down the symptoms of a sociopath into lack of empathy, conscience and guilt. Inability to love. Manipulation is second nature to them. Boredom due to lack of sincere connections with other human beings that leaves them with more time than the rest of us to plan and deceive, and to win at all costs.

Do you suspect that you have/had one in your life? If so, what did you do, what will you do about it?

Most disturbing in the article is that they can not be treated, do not even respond to Oxycontin, which is supposed to increase feelings of warmth and love. They make up an estimated 2 to 3% of the population and there is somewhat of a range in severity.
I believe

Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times
I think I have known one but honestly to this day I am still not sure. I mean at first I thought he was one now from talking to people that know him it sounds like he is just in the closet and that is typical and not a sociopath.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:18 PM

38,759 posts, read 37,938,490 times
We have a friend and I swear, her mother is a sociopath. Suspected it for yrs.

She puts on a big smile, but every time you interact with her you just walk away feeling "less valuable"... she does this like I said, with a nice smile, but always seems to get the digs in......... ugly nasty person.... I've go not use for people like that... I wish I could voice my opinion on how I would handle sociopaths......

The article says to just cut them out of your life..... Yeah... my plan would effect that too.......

Old 09-27-2013, 05:23 PM

I think its harder if you are not sure if they are a sociopath or not. I mean once you know they are one then its easy cut your losses and move on knowing they wont change. However if the question remains then what do you do? In my case I have taken myself out of his life but at the same time if he is telling the truth and just cant come out if/when he does I would be there for him.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 PM

3,019 posts, read 3,122,364 times
90% of the women in my life that I have had 'romantic' - sexually intimate relationships with are sociopaths.

The sex is way better since they all lacked a soul and typically would take things to the next level of orgasmic evolution during intercourse.

And they are more exciting. . . . .

Because they are evil. In every way imaginable.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
90% of the women in my life that I have had 'romantic' - sexually intimate relationships with are sociopaths.

The sex is way better since they all lacked a soul and typically would take things to the next level of orgasmic evolution during intercourse.

And they are more exciting. . . . .

Because they are evil. In every way imaginable.
That is interesting. Knowing what I know I don't think I would want to know or have sex with a person I knew was a sociopath. Why I ran when I found out the guy I liked was either a sociopath or so far in the closet it was not worth my time talking to him till he came out. It still hurts and I think about him more then I should but unless he does come out as gay I know there would be no reason for us to ever be friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology