U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 07:46 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,448,399 times

Advertisements

resurrected a 2+ year old post.

OK.

Re: more women than men, read on: (I should clarify simple sociopathy translates to Antisocial Personality Disorder, and should be taken in that fashion when reading the linked article snippet) http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...53217764,d.aWM

This may do better in the Psychology forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:52 AM

994 posts, read 1,198,480 times
Yeah, I dated one. And I'm not saying that to be funny.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 PM

709 posts, read 919,850 times
Its probably almost impossible to know for sure unless they are the crazy murderous type. We often judge people more based on how they make us feel about ourselves than we judge them for who they really are.

There are some people who I disliked so strongly that I behaved like a sociopath around them. So those people might think I'm a sociopath.. yet my friends would never consider the idea. So how do you know? The smart sociopaths know when to turn it on and turn it off. After all.. they want to WIN. You don't win by letting everyone around you know you're a sociopath. As long as the sociopath can GAIN from association with you.. they will hide their dark side. Its only when they have nothing to gain from you that you'll have a chance to figure them out. Its only the stupid ones that are obvious.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
There are psychopaths everywhere...or do I mean, sociopaths?

Most CEO's qualify.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 PM

319 posts, read 364,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
There are psychopaths everywhere...or do I mean, sociopaths?

Most CEO's qualify.
Yep. I read somewhere that the percentage of CEOs who are sociopaths are much higher than the percentage of sociopaths in the general population.

I believe that my maternal grandmother was a sociopath. Her abuse and manipulation poisoned everybody in the entire family for years. None of her kids and none of us grandkids were spared.

Before I was born, my mother ran away to California without telling her... and my grandmother found her. When I was three, my parents abandoned their house in Kentucky and moved eight hours away in the middle of the night to give her the slip... and she found us in no time. Eventually, though, my parents were able to get her out of our lives for good.

Last edited by Sedivec; 09-28-2013 at 03:53 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 11:35 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Its probably almost impossible to know for sure unless they are the crazy murderous type. We often judge people more based on how they make us feel about ourselves than we judge them for who they really are.

There are some people who I disliked so strongly that I behaved like a sociopath around them. So those people might think I'm a sociopath.. yet my friends would never consider the idea. So how do you know? The smart sociopaths know when to turn it on and turn it off. After all.. they want to WIN. You don't win by letting everyone around you know you're a sociopath. As long as the sociopath can GAIN from association with you.. they will hide their dark side. Its only when they have nothing to gain from you that you'll have a chance to figure them out. Its only the stupid ones that are obvious.
Yes they are hellishly hard to spot. For whatever reason, I attract my share of these "people" but I still can't tell if they are until they actually do something. They can lie with their eyes and make it look like they love you even though they're sitting there thinking how stupid you look in your new pink dress. It's when they do or say something that makes no sense though that you should start to get suspicious. Even if it's not evil but just puzzles you, start watching very carefully and they will reveal themselves b/c the act gets tiring. Yes I just got out of a relationship with one and it's hard to say whether his problem is borderline, narcissistic, or sociopathy, but those all tend to go together. Have a sis who is. Had a co-worker--a Teacher's aide, who tried to get me fired and she was purely evil but one of the stupid ones and even so, after years of being at the job, the teachers are only just now starting to figure out what's going on. I would never let her set foot in my classroom b/c I had her number early on. But I knew about her because I'm one of the first ones she went after. It's scary to think that this woman has power over some of the most helpless members of our society--special ed handicapped children, but she's not smart enough to get away with bullying anyone else.

One thing to watch for when that random comment or act slips out is whether they can be embarrassed. They can't, really. They will do things that would make a normal person blush with shame like move in with someone who clearly does not want them there and they will stay until forcibly removed. They'll get caught over and over for shoplifting. Show up for a trip with no money and fully expecting you to foot the bill. Stuff like that. They get away with stuff like this b/c it's so completely unexpected.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:48 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
I've known one sociopath. He was extremely charming.

I've known several psychic vampires who suck you dry, but I think that is different from being a sociopath.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
I think it's a virus that's spreading. From experience, I can now spot one in about 20 minutes.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I think it's a virus that's spreading. From experience, I can now spot one in about 20 minutes.
Do tell. How? Because I've had a sis all my life who's a sociopath and I still can't spot one right off though I actually have pretty much empathy and can tell when people are suicidal and such, even before they tell me.

From what I know, unless one actually has it in for you, they look pretty normal and even come off more sane than the average person when things are getting stressful (because they have the advantage of not caring of course) but unless they say or do something to give themselves away or they don't care if you know, then it's not that easy to tell. Some of them even pass themselves off as spiritual and may possibly believe themselves to be so, but again, they're serene b/c they don't really care about what most people care about.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:19 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,704,256 times
I knew a young kid who used to torture animals, lie often, and hurt other kids. His mom disciplined him one day by sending him to his room, and he stayed in there for 5 days without eating food -- just sat in the middle of his room, refusing to apologize. His mother was astounded, and expressed to me her fear that her kid may be a sociopath. They eventually moved, but I've wondered if I will hear about him in the news one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology