U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 02:28 AM
HDL
Status: "Here's to finding common ground" (set 27 days ago)

3,090 posts, read 5,853,635 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that I fit into one of those categories , as I've been told by peeps on a daily basis that I'm "too SMART for my own good "!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I'm a big believer in Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. They are, for those unaware:

Linguistic intelligence ("word smart")
Logical-mathematical intelligence ("number/reasoning smart")
Spatial intelligence ("picture smart")
Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence ("body smart")
Musical intelligence ("music smart")
Interpersonal intelligence ("people smart")
Intrapersonal intelligence ("self smart") and
Naturalist intelligence ("nature smart")

If a test ever comes along that can equally measure all these intelligences to TRULY determine the intelligence quotient of an individual, then the I.Q. measurement will be one of value.

Just my humble opinion,
Charley
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 07:33 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,225,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
Interesting, well let's kinda think outside of the box on this.

We take two people, one being highly intelligent the other not so highly intelligent.
We take two identical large cardboard boxes and have our people get into them then seal them up.

Now the genius he has all the answers right, so while he is in that box he has to figure the size, cubic inches, how much air volume it will hold, how long that air volume will last at a certain breathing rate, the exact composition of that cardboard, what bursting strength it might have, how has it been sealed from outside, and tons of other useful info to make the most intelligent decision on getting out.

So that brings us to the not so highly intelligent individual, he simply busts right out in no time flat then proceeds to placing shipping labels on the other fellas box shipping him to the badlands.

Steals his wife or girlfriend, his car, house, assets, & even the poor guys dog, he now lives in a resort area of a well known country sipping margaritas & watching that big red ball sink in the sky.
Clever! Very c-l-e-v-e-r, Joee! "He couldn't think his way out of box."

Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,458,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I am looking to hear from people with a very high IQ? Maybe people who are told they are a genius? Is life harder or easier because of your brainpower? Fellow geniuses, let's compare notes!
I have a problem with this question and here's why: You indicate that you are a genius but neglected to substantiate that claim by starting the thread off by offering your own IQ score. That's a red flag. You want us to tell you something personal, without imparting the same information about yourself to us. That does not compute, even in a social or conversational arena. By any chance, is this a government survey?

Another thing that struck me for the same reason is that you didn't qualify your stance, is in asking the question here. We all know about MENSA, the association exclusive to geniuses but instead brought it here, to a public forum based largely on opinions with a sprinkling of facts and statistics. We all know about NASA and that there are very few retarded individuals working there. Why didn't you go there rather than present it here?

Somehow, it reminds me of people who see me park my van in the handicap space in front of a store and watch as I walk to the store. Some ask what my handicap is or worse, how I managed to get a handicap sticker for my car. Not all disabilities are visually obvious. The same is true of a person's IQ score: It's not always evident. Still, I'm not sure what makes these people feel they are socially acceptable in asking such a personal question of a stranger.

That brings me to a resolution, either by answering or not answering. Since it appears I have way too much time on my hands, I choose to answer. Since one phrase was shouted to me time and time again all through my life from childhood, "Act your age, not your shoe size!" I gather that my IQ score is either equal to my shoe size or my age. Since I have never bothered to take such a test, that means my IQ score is either "10" or "50-something."

By the way, what's yours?

Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,577,145 times
There have been times when I was the smartest person in the room.

And there have been time when I was the stupidest.

But the best times where when I was the the only one at the buffet and there was no line in the rest room.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:39 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,168,223 times
I took an I.Q. test about 3 years ago and it said I was about 115-120. That's pretty good. But not a genius. I'm still a little weak at math.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:45 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
I'm too stupid to even take a test like that. And yet I'm perfectly content with my IQ. Whatever it is. I've got a fair amount of common sense...which I'm still trying to figure out how to measure. When I figure that out I "will" be a genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or