Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel incredibly beautiful & sexy with no negative reservations about it whatsoever?
I am "normal weight" and I believe that I am beautiful and sexy in every way. 15 20.83%
I am "normal weight" and I DON'T believe that I am beautiful and sexy in every way. 20 27.78%
I am "overweight by no more than 50 pounds" and I believe that I am beautiful and sexy in every way. 8 11.11%
I am "overweight by no more than 50 pounds" and I DON'T believe that I am beautiful and sexy in every way. 16 22.22%
I am "more than 50 pounds overweight" and I believe that I am beautiful and sexy in every way. 2 2.78%
I am "more than 50 pounds overweight" and I DON'T believe that I am beautiful and sexy in every way. 11 15.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:37 AM

681 posts, read 2,877,913 times

Advertisements

I love statistics... so here I am to harvest my latest set. The questions are self-explanatory... please respond only if you're a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
What questions?

Aah! Scrap that!! Found em!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,179 times
To some, I am underweight but I am healthy-just a victim of genetics/high metabolism. i would love to gain 20 pounds or more so I can be FINE. I used to have a great image of myself but in the past few yrs that has been dampered by anorexic remarks and people over-analyzing what I eat. I am just a small woman. Can't be helped.

Last edited by pushkinswife; 05-27-2008 at 07:08 AM..

Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Hmm... I'd like to lose about 15-20 pounds so I can wear some of the designer clothes that I love, but at the same time, my boyfriend finds me incredibly sexy the way I am. He's turned off by women who are skinny. I was very skinny when I was in my teens and 20's. At my new part time job, a lot of the guys I work with find me very attractive and like my figure. One guy likes to refer to me as his future wife. They all know that I live with my boyfriend though, so the talk is all in innocent fun.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'd select in your poll. I'd like there to be a choice of being 20 pounds overweight and feeling very sexy most of the time.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:22 AM

681 posts, read 2,877,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Anyway, I'm not sure what I'd select in your poll. I'd like there to be a choice of being 20 pounds overweight and feeling very sexy most of the time.
Not only could I not put too many choices, but I didn't want to make it difficult for people. The way I see it, true self-esteem is weight and size irrelevant. If a person truly believes he/she is beautiful and sexy, that will be the case at 100 pounds or 500. Everyone is affected by weight issues to a certain extent, but health and sexiness are two different animals. I know a woman who stood 6'2" and weighed well over 400 pounds and loved every ounce of herself... believed that she was as sexy as a woman could be... but had lots of weight-related health problems which ultimately forced her to drop the weight. She's now below 200 and still believes she's as sexy as a woman could be.

"Most" isn't "ALL" or "EVERY", miu. I know that there are a lot of ladies out there for whom their opinion of their physical appearance is inversely proportional to the number on the scale or the tape measure. That, as far as I'm concerned, is false self-esteem. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines "self-esteem" as "a confidence and satisfaction in oneself"... and I agree wholeheartedly with that definition. It isn't conditional based upon weight or size or anything else. I'm trying to figure out how prevalent true self-esteem is amongst women, and also determine how strongly it correllates to weight/size.

Last edited by NWPAguy; 05-27-2008 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: left something out

Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 AM

169 posts, read 537,996 times
Ok I havent been on this long enough....where are the questions? thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
"Most" isn't "ALL" or "EVERY", miu. I know that there are a lot of ladies out there for whom their opinion of their physical appearance is inversely proportional to the number on the scale or the tape measure. That, as far as I'm concerned, is false self-esteem. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines "self-esteem" as "a confidence and satisfaction in oneself"... and I agree wholeheartedly with that definition. It isn't conditional based upon weight or size or anything else. I'm trying to figure out how prevalent true self-esteem is amongst women, and also determine how strongly it correllates to weight/size.
I know that I'm not a "10" in body. And overall, I feel good about my physical looks. And my self esteem is very very strong because my looks are not very much a factor in it. Where I become unhappy with my body is if I am trying to wear an article of clothing that is too small for me or is unflattering to my body shape. However, I know how to buy clothing that does flatter my body. Yay for empire cut dresses!!! Boo to bikinis.

Also I notice that I get the most compliments when I am happy, smiling or laughing. And that has nothing to do with my waist size. And I don't have a scale in my house. I also give compliments and am nice to the people around me, and in giving out positive energy, I get it back several fold.

I just don't see things in black and white or ALL or EVERY.

And I also think that the arbitrary 50 pounds of extra weight in your poll is HUGE.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
According to the latest BMI exam done by my doctor, I'm in the "normal" range... but I am one of those women who finds every flaw with her own body. When it comes to my weight, I am pretty dern sensitive.

Note: I put on an Empire Waisted shirt once. I looked about 6 or 7 months pregnant in it because of some overwhelming large problems in the upper region of my torso. Never again!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 AM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
According to the latest BMI exam done by my doctor, I'm in the "normal" range... but I am one of those women who finds every flaw with her own body. When it comes to my weight, I am pretty dern sensitive.

Note: I put on an Empire Waisted shirt once. I looked about 6 or 7 months pregnant in it because of some overwhelming large problems in the upper region of my torso. Never again!
Im sure you looked just fine.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM

169 posts, read 537,996 times
nevermind i found it....I believe I have a nice body. I am in the very normal range as far as weight goes. I don't have alot of problems with the way clothing fits. I do run into some slight issues on pant length. I am almost 5'8. But it hasn't been too bad lately. I guess they're making them a little longer now. heh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology