U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:45 PM

645 posts, read 1,247,816 times

Advertisements

Someone I know is like this. He will not let me speak. He will speak over me and keep going until he gets out what he has to say, after that the conversation has to be over because he said so. He wants to switch the subject. Anytime we have a petty argument or disagreement about something he has to speak loud and never cares what anyone else has to say long as he states his opinion. I really try to avoid arguing with with him, but he will say things that P'd you off and you can't say anything back to him because he can't handle criticism. Why is he that way? Do you anyone like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 PM

16,700 posts, read 18,909,509 times
I am sorry, I must be your boyfriend, because you just described me... how do you handle someone like me... punch him in the gut real fast when he starts to talk over you... real hard too... and asks him if he likes that cause next time if he talks over you, you going to do it again...

Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 PM

24,671 posts, read 55,543,706 times
Why would you even want to hang around someone so boorish? If he's someone you can't avoid then as soon as he starts up just walk away and leave him spouting into thin air.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 PM

600 posts, read 1,373,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
Do you anyone like this?
Yes, my ex husband. I never did learn how to deal with that.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:58 PM

3,409 posts, read 3,837,460 times
Quote:
Someone I know is like this. He will not let me speak. He will speak over me and keep going until he gets out what he has to say, after that the conversation has to be over because he said so. He wants to switch the subject. Anytime we have a petty argument or disagreement about something he has to speak loud and never cares what anyone else has to say long as he states his opinion. I really try to avoid arguing with with him, but he will say things that P'd you off and you can't say anything back to him because he can't handle criticism. Why is he that way? Do you anyone like this?
I say everyone thinks and speaks DIFFERENTLY. There isn't a one size fits all mold. The people who do or try to force it are the ones with the problem. Why don't you just tell me what I'm thinking and what to say then? My favorite color is gray. No it isn't, it's orange! But I said it was gray. The rest of us like orange so that's your favorite color now!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:01 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,706,528 times
After someone cuts me off once or twice I just completely ignore them. They'll stand there waiting for me to respond to what they've said and when they finally ask why I haven't responded I'll let them know I wasn't sure if they were finished yet since every time I've tried talking they cut me off.

They usually stop.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
Walk away from people like that. They are not interested in having conversations. They are only interested in having monologs.

There is only one way to have a relationship with anyone, whether it is a spouse, love interest, friend, employer, or anybody else. And that is from a position of mutual respect. If a person has no interest in what you're trying to say and tries to dominate you by talking over you, then this is not a person you really want in your life.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:54 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,451,982 times
I had a cousin like that who dominated our conversations and when I tried to respond would talk over me. I even started talking louder so she wouldn't interrupt but she always yelled louder then me. I finally realized that I didn't care if she was family or not, I wasn't going to waste my time with her. I don't talk to her anymore. The last time I picked up my mother's phone when I was visiting and it was her, I got stuck on the phone for 2 hours with her talking. I didn't say a word. Once she allowed me to talk, I told her I had to go and hung up. Never again will I ever talk to her. Selfish and self-absorbed like most of my mother's family.

Life is too short. Get away from that person.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 PM

3,803 posts, read 4,803,068 times
Quote:
i married and divorced that person---drop the contact asap cause many other issues are beneath that person's surface

Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,450,504 times
a relationship with someone with such poor communication/conflict resolution abillity will not go well, so i suggest you abandon ship and ditch him, or keep him as a casual friend instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or