U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 AM

9,863 posts, read 5,777,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I feel your pain. I have a similar name and encounter the same thing. Sometimes I ignore it, but in situations where I know that I'll be communicating with them on a regular basis in the future (such as a new business acquaintance) I will gently correct them by saying "My friends call me Kathryn".

In social situations, my husband gets more offended by it than I do. He will sometimes correct people right away saying something like "Her name is Kathryn, not Kathy, are you deaf?" LOL. I love him!
That's funny, in a way. Mine is the reverse situation. When hubby and I went to pick up our marriage license, someone in the department was practically insistent that the formal version should be on the certificate but I had to tell them that is not my birth name. I know better than her what my parent's named me

Had someone from the office call me by the formal version, and had to tell them
that is not my name. Could have used someone like your hubby to set them straight.

Also, I had some one that kept calling my cell phone and when I retrieve the messages, this person keeps asking for someone whose first name is entirely different than mine. The 1st letter of the first name wasn't even the same. Rrrgrrh. My voicemail even starts out using my first name. Maybe I can understand one time but this person called on a consistent basis. One time when I actually had a chance to pick up. I asked, do those names even sound the same to you? I haven't had any more calls since [victory]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:56 AM

21,263 posts, read 20,865,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
And if someone mispronounces my name I correct them and problem solved..
Wow, aren't you lucky! I correct them and correct them and correct them and the problem's still not solved.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Your being way too sensitve.
No I'm not. Everybody has a right to be called by their preferred name.

Quote:
My name is David and I really could careless when most call me David.
Huh? Your name is David and you don't mind if that's what they call you?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
That is kind of annoying. Some people call me by a name that isn't even my name. For example, it would be like people calling the OP Kathleen instead of Kathryn. I can sort of understand the Kathy thing as a nickname, but it doesn't even sound like Kathryn especially if the OP is using Kathryn all the time.
Oh, trust me... I get Kathleen a lot, too. That annoys me even more since, as you say, it's a completely different name, whereas Kathy could be a nickname for either Kathryn or Kathleen.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
anyone else who does it, i pick a random name and call them it. eventually they say something and ill say 'well, 'X' isnt my name, but you keep calling me it, so i thought it was ok just to assign random names to people. '
Have you seriously actually done that? I love that! Good for you.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
People sometimes shorten my name but I just ignore them.... and then say "oh were you talking to me... I didn't realise"

I remember when I was a child and Mum got angry because someone shortened my brothers name Michael to Mike. She snapped and said " he was christened not pissed on.... use his correct name" I was gobsmacked to hear my Mum swear and the person concerned didn't do it again It was irritating as we got older and people would phone the house and we could hear her say ..." Mike? no sorry no one of that name here" and hang up..... but its funny to look back on now and it makes me realise where I get my bluntness from
That is just too funny! I love your mom!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,877,009 times
On the other end of it, seems like (since I work in education) I deal with it a lot...SPELLINGS and stuff are hard to keep up with. It drives me crazy trying to remember which kid is spelled which way!

Examples:

Zach/Zack
Abbi, Abby, Abbye, Abbey
Katie, Katy, Katey
Megan, Meghan, Megyn
Cody, Codi, Kody
Devon, Devin, Devan

Not to insult people with the name "Kirsten"...but OMG it always looks like a typo!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
ok, so 'sue' isnt my real name but people DO shorten my nickname (or even full, given name) to something much shorter.

there are few people who I allow to get away with it. mostly family. anyone else who does it, i pick a random name and call them it. eventually they say something and ill say 'well, 'X' isnt my name, but you keep calling me it, so i thought it was ok just to assign random names to people. '

once i do that, they never do it again

haha I've done that before as well. Often my name is mis-pronounced or they just change it something else altogether!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
At least they call you by SOME name! I agree it's not acceptable, though.

Have you noticed how many people don't address you by your name at all?! I know my Mom was doing it deliberately with Grandma because she didn't want to call her Mom (which was the custom back home). I've always wondered about those people... I'm pretty sure I read about this as being a very subtle symptom of NPD. I don't know about that, but it's certainly a sign of disrespect.

Before somebody tells me I don't address them by their names on the forum (because I'd like to), pick a darn moniker you can be addressed by!
I agree with your assessment that it is a sign of disrespect. I have a PhD and my daughter's teachers want me to call them Ms, Mrs, Miss, Mr, or Dr., but they don't want to use my title when addressing me, therefore, when I receive emails, they don't use their name, or my name. I find this highly disrespectful.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,776 times
I agree with your assessment that it is a sign of disrespect. I have a PhD and my daughter's teachers want me to call them Ms, Mrs, Miss, Mr, or Dr., but they don't want to use my title when addressing me, therefore, when I receive emails, they don't use their name, or my name. I find this highly disrespectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or