Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
I think its a sign that the person doesn't really care and is discourteous and rude.
Actually, I pretty much agree. I wouldn't say they're being intentionally rude. I think think they don't particularly care enough about you to make an effort to call you by your preferred name. It's like they're just going to call you by the name they think you should prefer.

Quote:
Just call them some random dumb thing. If his name is Jim, call him Johnny. If it's Beth call her Brenda.. have fun with it!
Yeah, I should do that.

By the way, I love your name, Brianna!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I get that, too. I'm a Kathleen, but I always introduce myself as either that or Kate, which is what most people call me. There's always people (and for some reason it's usually middle-aged ladies) who insist on calling me Kathy. One of my neighbors is a long-time offender, and I've given up gently correcting her.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I don't understand what is so difficult about saying, "I prefer to be called Kathryn" after someone calls you Kate. People aren't mind readers, and they aren't out to get you when they address you by a diminutive version of your name.
They're not mind-readers? Well, duh... I'm not expecting anybody to read my mind. When I say, "Hi. I'm Kathryn, and I was calling about..." and five minutes later they say, "Well, we'll get back to you within a few days, Kathy," it's not mind-reading gone wrong. It's lack of common courtesy. They were obviously listening well enough to not call me Rachel or Angela. They just assumed they knew what I wanted to be called better than I did.

Quote:
Why get all bent out of shape about it, unless your life is going so well this is your only source of complaint.
My life is actually going quite well, thank you. I have few complaints. It's just that this happens to be constantly. It's getting old, so I'm just venting. Ever do that?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
That is kind of annoying. Some people call me by a name that isn't even my name. For example, it would be like people calling the OP Kathleen instead of Kathryn. I can sort of understand the Kathy thing as a nickname, but it doesn't even sound like Kathryn especially if the OP is using Kathryn all the time.

You'd think people would catch on, but I'm convinced that if something isn't accompanied by flashing lights and bright colors, half the population doesn't take the time to think it over.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,508 times
I've noticed in the professional world, bosses, managers or superiors will do it to sort of knock you down a peg.

My name is Ryan, and when I first started working, one of my supervisors would call me Rayan... I corrected him on it by saying one time "oh by the way my name is Ryan, not Rayan, not a big deal tho" and he has been calling me my proper name since, and he definitely respects me a lot more.

I was wondering why, then I saw a couple emails from his superior, who was calling him the wrong name...

Old 04-13-2011, 10:56 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
People sometimes shorten my name but I just ignore them.... and then say "oh were you talking to me... I didn't realise"

I remember when I was a child and Mum got angry because someone shortened my brothers name Michael to Mike. She snapped and said " he was christened not pissed on.... use his correct name" I was gobsmacked to hear my Mum swear and the person concerned didn't do it again It was irritating as we got older and people would phone the house and we could hear her say ..." Mike? no sorry no one of that name here" and hang up..... but its funny to look back on now and it makes me realise where I get my bluntness from

Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SookieStackhouse View Post
My name is Michelle... I have an "uncle in-law" that called me Rachel for years.
Thats funny, My grandmother called my sister Rachel. Her name was Karen. My grandmother just insisted she suited Rachel better and stuck with it for about 9 years......

Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnglieNYC View Post
I don't understand what is so difficult about saying, "I prefer to be called Kathryn" after someone calls you Kate. People aren't mind readers
People don't have to be mind readers-they just have to LISTEN. And trust me correcting them does nothing 75% of the time.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
All I want to know is, is it just me? Am I overly-sensitive or what? My name is Kathryn. I always, always, always introduce myself as Kathryn. When I'm doing business with people and give them my name, I say it's Kathryn. When I call people on the phone and leave a message, I say that it's Kathryn calling. It doesn't seem to matter one single solitary bit to most people. At least half of them simply assume that I want to be called Kathy. I hate the name Kathy. Yes, I know I can always correct them. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It kind of depends upon whether I expect our interaction to be a brief one or an extended one. My beef with this is that I don't see why I should have to do that. If I tell people my name, it shouldn't be all that much to ask to expect them to call me by that name. Do other people have this problem?
Your being way too sensitve. My name is David and I really could careless when most call me David. I weould bet when you correct them its a real ;oh.that type in their mind.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, I pretty much agree. I wouldn't say they're being intentionally rude. I think think they don't particularly care enough about you to make an effort to call you by your preferred name. It's like they're just going to call you by the name they think you should prefer.

Yeah, I should do that.

By the way, I love your name, Brianna!
thanks, Kathryn!

See how easy that was, people??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology