U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:14 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,392,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Maybe that's the only way they can get recognition for what they've done....doesn't really bother me, it's their life, though I do prefer to be more humble myself.
It tends to bother me when 'manipulators/those who can talk the talk' are elevated to positions of leadership.

Scrape away the words and you generally find small-minded, petty people.

how stupid was I--pretty stupid and gullible.

I finally caught on. 'Me, me, me'. The person I encountered would go down the list of 'what was wrong' with everyone else--as human beings will--then one day she revealed that she did this with another 'friend' and I was included in those discussions.

the irony--we had attended the same church growing up--she didn't attend church as regularly as I did but somehow became the icon of morality---the epitome of perfection. Presumably that is 'The American Way'--her father had advanced in the auto industry--competition, which drives the economy. 'If you can do it Better---tell those in power --'I am the Best'--if you say it loud enough and long enough--people will believe it.'

Meanwhile the real good is done by others who generally don't toot their own horn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 AM

6,450 posts, read 6,463,207 times
I've come across smug posters on CD I was shocked (I don't know why)! I was on the parenting forum and was posting my pleasure with the IB highschool program. Another poster attacked my daughters achievement implying that if we lived in her state my daughters achievements wouldn't be recognized due to the superior kids in her school system. And basically when my daughter applied to out of state colleges she would be screwed because she would be competing with her superior child! Ouch!!Mean and smug!!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:52 AM

5,387 posts, read 6,269,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
It tends to bother me when 'manipulators/those who can talk the talk' are elevated to positions of leadership.

Scrape away the words and you generally find small-minded, petty people.

how stupid was I--pretty stupid and gullible.

I finally caught on. 'Me, me, me'. The person I encountered would go down the list of 'what was wrong' with everyone else--as human beings will--then one day she revealed that she did this with another 'friend' and I was included in those discussions.

the irony--we had attended the same church growing up--she didn't attend church as regularly as I did but somehow became the icon of morality---the epitome of perfection. Presumably that is 'The American Way'--her father had advanced in the auto industry--competition, which drives the economy. 'If you can do it Better---tell those in power --'I am the Best'--if you say it loud enough and long enough--people will believe it.'

Meanwhile the real good is done by others who generally don't toot their own horn.
^^^^
Agreed 100% with TakeAhike's comments above

Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM

629 posts, read 1,060,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I've come across smug posters on CD I was shocked (I don't know why)! I was on the parenting forum and was posting my pleasure with the IB highschool program. Another poster attacked my daughters achievement implying that if we lived in her state my daughters achievements wouldn't be recognized due to the superior kids in her school system. And basically when my daughter applied to out of state colleges she would be screwed because she would be competing with her superior child! Ouch!!Mean and smug!!
Sucks for the other posters daughter. She's gonna be a smug bi_ach and it's not even her fault.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM

38,766 posts, read 37,946,188 times
I work with a smug arrogant a@@hole. This guy is a piece of work.

Everyone pretty much laughs about him behind his back.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:56 AM

38,766 posts, read 37,946,188 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, some parents can be real arrogant about stuff like that.

Just ignore it..... it's actually pathetic behavior and people with any brains can see it.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 AM

17,868 posts, read 17,083,509 times
I tend to get smug after I get laid. I haven't been smug in a long time so who knows what I might do now?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:00 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,735,825 times
I think Eskimos are smug.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:01 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,392,042 times
Quote:
ah,yes. 'Parenting'--wherever it is discussed there will be 'Those People'.

Once in a conservative forum in the education sector--a woman went on for days --hours each day--about all that was wrong with public education and how she had to compensate at home for what was not being done.

I thought to myself--'You are online--you need to get off the internet and go do all the things you say you have to do.'

shrug--I live in Atlanta--Neal Boortz, talkshow host --says that any parent who cares anything about his/her child won't allow the child to attend a government school. If you don't send your child to a private school you simply don't care much for your child.

ok--I'm a product of public education. Taught in public education. Therefore, I am a blight on society?

Old 05-29-2011, 12:01 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,125,588 times
I just try not to waste my time with smug people. I think smugness is often a sign of insecurity. It makes them feel better about themselves to look down on others. It makes them feel smarter to belittle others. I just don't have time for those kind of people. I'm a silly person. I like to laugh and make fun of myself. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm intelligent but intelligent people can spot other intelligent people immediately with out anyone having to announce their intelligence. It used to be very important to me to show off my intelligence - I was an idiot. Who the heck cares! Luckily, I realized this when I was fairly young.

I think the more insecure you are - the more smug you might become. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination - but I'm fairly secure in who I am. I prefer to be around other secure people who aren't afraid to be themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or