U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Except that some gay ppl are trying to do exactly what you mention above (i.e., impose/force their beliefs on others...by attempting to tear down the existing laws on marriage, that society has held as sacrosant for millennia, and have their own self-interested "rights" legally-enforced, above the protests of those who believe that marriage should remain as it has always been...a matrimonal union between a man and a woman).

If that is not legal coercion, then I don't know what is...one could reasonably conclude that the pro-gay lobby is simply stacking the deck of the law, to be in their favor.
Gays being able to marry does NOTHING to you; it does not violate you or restrict you or what you can do...so explain to me how changing it coerces you to do or not do anything...?

Besides being upsetting to you that other people can have the same legal and financial protections...how would this law affect you in the least? That's right...it would EMOTIONALLY and IRRATIONALLY affect you.

Dude...just own the homophobia and call it a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 AM

5,387 posts, read 6,266,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What do you think being pro-gay entails? As for me, of course I'm pro-gay. I want my gay friends and relations to have the same basic human and legal rights that are available to everyone else. I don't want them to have to lie about who they are in order to make others believe they don't exist.

You're focusing completely on the fact that you think gay sex is icky. I don't care what people do in the privacy of their bedrooms; and most sex is icky, when you really think about it. It's not limited to gays, either. Your married boss may visit a dominatrix once a week. The nice middle-aged couple down the block may be swingers. Your dentist may have a basement full of sex toys and costumes. As someone once said, as long as they're not in the street scaring the horses, who cares?
I have said before on the forums, that I fully approve of gay civil unions, so that gay partners can have equal rights under the law -- but I draw the line at marriage though. There is a good reason that for centuries and eons, society had declared that marriage was a union between a man and a woman.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Gays being able to marry does NOTHING to you; it does not violate you or restrict you or what you can do...so explain to me how changing it coerces you to do or not do anything...?

Besides being upsetting to you that other people can have the same legal and financial protections...how would this law affect you in the least? That's right...it would EMOTIONALLY and IRRATIONALLY affect you.

Dude...just own the homophobia and call it a day.
Please see post #133.

I fully support gay civil unions -- just not gay marriage.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Ok...anyone who gets bent out of shape over a word (whether you are gay or straight) is not playing with a full deck.

Sorry, Knight...I didn't realize you were for full union and adoption rights for gay people. That's all anyone can ask for or expect.

Gay people and straight people who get bent out of shape over a word that means the same thing as another word...I don't have an argument or a cure for you.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 AM

My apologies to OP if my comments were OT to this thread...I promise that I will respectfully refrain from additional posts on the subject of homophobia, on this thread.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 AM

3,487 posts, read 6,125,682 times
1. Being stubborn and steadfast in illogical and intolerant thought processes.
2. Carelessness and untimeliness even when there are severe consequences.
3. Belief in "moral relativity" in order to justify one's own immoral actions that obviously hurt others.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 7,212,256 times
Quote:
My apologies to OP if my comments were OT to this thread...I promise that I will respectfully refrain from additional posts on the subject of homophobia, on this thread.
That would certainly be nice - there are sections of the forum you can take these kind of topics to so that the rest of us don't have to suffer through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I personally don't understand racism, homophobia, xenophobia ,sexism , to me it is just silly to me when it comes down to it.

Humans seem to have this bizarre need to feel superior to others, and to validate their own lives by putting down others.

I don't get it and it saddens me.
I think we are excatly on the same page with this. Thanks for your posts.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
People who feel sorry for themselves.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:15 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,140,553 times
Stupidity and non sex drive

Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,194,953 times
Quote:
I have said before on the forums, that I fully approve of gay civil unions, so that gay partners can have equal rights under the law -- but I draw the line at marriage though. There is a good reason that for centuries and eons, society had declared that marriage was a union between a man and a woman.
My father holds this view. It's the word marriage and I don't understand it. If civil unions are the exact same thing, then why does it matter if the word marriage is used? He often mentions that it's religious based, tho, he's not very religious himself and he takes no issue with atheists being married. He has a gay son to boot.

My half brother has been with his partner for at least 4 years now and he's 27ish (I should know lol), not that they have expressed interest marriage. Their life style isn't a hollywood drama. He has a graduate degree and is university librarian. His partner is a medical scientist earning his PhD @ Albert Einstein college of medicine. His work will no doubt benefit the community at large. They live in a studio apartment, work hard, and are building a life together. My brother couldn't have found a better guy. Why shouldn't they be allowed to marry? Fortunately, they're in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or