U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,489,422 times

Advertisements

My mother is high strung. She can freak out on a whim. Either in rage or crying fits. As I have gotten older I have lost my patience with it. It makes me feel guilty because she is my mom but it wears on me really fast. As she has gotten older, it has become worse. I hate that type of unpredictability. Another personality trait I can't stand is a bad tone of voice. My sister is famous for this. She never really learned how to talk to people. I hate going shopping or eating out with her. If a sales person walks up and asks if we need help, my sister will turn and say "ahhh NOO." Her tone is so nasty. The salesperson scurries off and then about 10 minutes later my sister is pissed that the salesperson didnt come back or isn't around when she finally decided she does need some help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times
people who brag, especially in the age of facebook; and people who say one thing but do another. I have a friend who posts mostly to brag about how well behaved her kids are, and how she's grocery shopping and freezer cooking now instead of eating out so much. When I see her in person she has no control of her kids, and most of her stories involve eating out. If you want to let your kids run wild and eat fast food and ribs all the time, fine, but own it. Be proud of it. Don't hide behind a facade.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,948,202 times
arrogance...repulses me

phonies....same thing

braggers

uptight, miserable people who judge & gossip about others (behind their backs)

sleaziness....just can't tolerate it

stupid people, who are proud to be stupid

Lol I knew my list would be extensive....
this remind me of one of my favorite quotes

"Other people are quite dreadful. The only possible society is oneself.

― Oscar Wilde

Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
I'm not of a fan of the kind of people who say they're "just being honest" or that they're "not PC" or are "straight-shooters," when really what they are is rude at best. You can be direct and still be kind and polite.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:35 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
arrogance...repulses me

phonies....same thing

braggers

uptight, miserable people who judge & gossip about others (behind their backs)

sleaziness....just can't tolerate it

stupid people, who are proud to be stupid

Lol I knew my list would be extensive....
this remind me of one of my favorite quotes

"Other people are quite dreadful. The only possible society is oneself.

― Oscar Wilde
Good list.

I'd add in:

Racists

Sexists

passive-aggressive types

Old 05-29-2012, 04:07 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,660,436 times
My #1 ...drum roll please...

People who like to "have fun" at work. IMHO if you're trying to have "fun" at work and be a social butterfly, then in all likelihood you do not have a healthy social life outside the workplace. Heck, you might not even have friends at all. Furthermore, you have zero or limited respect for the workplace. It's called a workplace for a reason.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,144,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My mother is high strung. She can freak out on a whim. Either in rage or crying fits. As I have gotten older I have lost my patience with it. It makes me feel guilty because she is my mom but it wears on me really fast. As she has gotten older, it has become worse. I hate that type of unpredictability. Another personality trait I can't stand is a bad tone of voice. My sister is famous for this. She never really learned how to talk to people. I hate going shopping or eating out with her. If a sales person walks up and asks if we need help, my sister will turn and say "ahhh NOO." Her tone is so nasty. The salesperson scurries off and then about 10 minutes later my sister is pissed that the salesperson didnt come back or isn't around when she finally decided she does need some help.
I truly believe highly-strung parents can really damage their kids. I don't blame my parents - it's part genetic too, so yay, double whammy! - but it has made me almost permanently tense.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 AM

461 posts, read 773,166 times
People who try to "one up you" whenever you share an experience.
My cousin who is only 14 years old does this all the time. I can tell a story and she says she had the same experience. Or knows someone who has had the same experience... Only she sensationalizes and basically lies. Can't believe a damn word she says.

People who have the "woe is me" syndrome.
I understand people want others to know they are having a hard time. I understand sometimes someone needs a little sympathy just to feel like someone cares (even if it is artificially). I can -even- understand when people share their poor experience to serve as a "warning" to other people. But it really urks me when you hear the SAME story over and over. Or when the person does something over and over to put themselves in that bad situation.

Women who cannot be single and jump out of one relationship and into another.
I honestly don't understand why women do this. You just got out of a **** poor relationship and complained about it all the time. WHY would you immediately jump into another relationship and begin to complain about that not even a few weeks into it? Stay single. Be comfortable with yourself first. It makes me wonder if these women even know how to be alone.

Two faced people who pretend to be your best friend, then talk crap/stab you in the back.
Do not try and be my friend, relate to me, say you'll be there for me blah blah blah... And then stab me in the back. If I don't like you, I will be cordial but I will not go out of my way to make you feel like we are best friends. So why play the game? Save us both some energy and sanity and just keep things civilized and just leave me alone. I don't need fake people trying to be chummy.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 PM

654 posts, read 878,758 times
People who seek attention in very contrived ways, don't the response they want, then escalate the attention seeking even more.

I have someone in my life that does this. Sometimes she'll randomly make a quote in a foreign language for no reason at all, or not at all related to what is going on. It isn't actually a language she has studied, but she has carefully mastered a few quotes to make her seem more intellingent. Basically I ignore the person when she does it.

Or else she tells you a story about a conflict she is having with someone. The conflict goes on for years and then you start thinking...hmm, this doesn't add up, and you start ignoring her telling the stories, and then suddenly she starts exaggerating the details.

Or one day you go over to her house and in the middle of a room(where someone could trip on them), she leaves some brand new high heeled dance shoes....left for you to notice and comment on. This person has maybe taken a few months of dance lessons years ago. This whole scenario basically makes me silent.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times
that sound like a person with borderline personality. Attention seeking at any cost

walkingoneggshells.com:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or