Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 12:20 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,206,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Seems like more a mental illness than a "trait".
If I am not mistaken, NPD has been removed from the DSM-V this year due to how common it is in the population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,577,661 times
Selfishness
Thoughtlessness - I loathe inconsiderate people
Cruelty
Homophobia/Racism/Sexism/Xenophobia - I would stay clear of ANYONE exhibiting any of those traits , not just romantically but socially
Self Absorbtion
Arrogance
Lack of respect for others
Lack of intellectual curiosity /Unadventurous
Anyone who is crude and vulgar and thinks potty mouths are attractive and cool, spits, scratches his genitals etc...
Vain
No sense of humour ( absolute deal-breaker)

Old 07-08-2011, 03:45 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,872,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Selfishness
Cruelty
Homophobia/Racism/Sexism/Xenophobia - I would stay clear of ANYONE exhibiting any of those traits , not just romantically but socially
Self Absorbtion
Arrogance
Anyone who is crude and vulgar and thinks potty mouths are attractive and cool, spits, scratches his genitals etc...
Vain

. . . intolerance?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,740,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Selfishness
Cruelty
Self Absorbtion
Arrogance
Vain
I am with you on all of the above, except for:

--Homophobia
--No sense of humour ( absolute deal-breaker)

"Homophobia" is a loaded word. It implies that those who are not in favor of the pro-gay lobby's policies are somehow themselves socially deviant or objectively disordered. Also it is interesting the way that homophobia is put on the same par with racism. I simply do not endorse the pro-gay lifestyle -- in fact I think of homos*xuality as a s*xually-deviant behavioral disorder. I am "anti-homos*xual lifestyle", not "homophobic". The term "homophobic" is an inherently biased term leaning toward those in favor of that particular lifestyle. At the same time, even while I disagree with it, I do not try to interfere with or prevent those who live that lifestyle, from doing what makes them happy. I just resent the fact that the pro-gay lobby tries to pressure those who do not agree to "agree or else", and automatically slaps them with the label of "homophobic" -- and the attempt to force their lifestyle and beliefs on unwilling participants, through legal and other means.

As far as humor, is it important for relationships? Yes, certainly. But you have to look at that importance in context though. Is it a "nice to have", or a "must have"? I would content that it fits into the former category, for me at least. Why? It is simply not on the same level as other things that make a relationship important, such as love, tenderness, respect, and other such qualities. Humor is simply not at the same level of importance, for me.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,159,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What drives your impatience? For me, it's when a person panics, crazily panics imo, when faced with a bit of chaos.

I'm sure I sound heartless, but panic does something to my brain. I don't like it. It's not my way.

So, how about you?
I had an ex who was trying to put a bed frame together and it fell apart while she was trying to put one piece into another piece - she threw the piece across the room. Hard. Same ex had a dead battery and was freaking out and saying, "This is why we need daddies" (24 years old) over and over...until I bought a battery and installed it (I was 21).

People like that make me CRAZY.

Also, same ex hit a car while backing out of a parking spot. It was already a scratched up dented up car, and she just scraped the side. I undid my seatbelt, because I figured we'd stop and leave insurance info, but she said, "It's already effed up and I don't want to pay," and drove off.

THAT WAS DISGUSTING and what led me to breaking up with her. Strangely, she is one of the most self-righteous people I know to this day. *sigh*

What else...?

I don't like people who are negative all the time. That makes me both angry and emotionally tired.

People who take themselves and life too seriously.
By that token, people who take no responsibility for themselves or life at all.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I simply do not endorse the pro-gay lifestyle -- in fact I think of homos*xuality as a s*xually-deviant behavioral disorder. I am "anti-homos*xual lifestyle", not "homophobic". The term "homophobic" is an inherently biased term leaning toward those in favor of that particular lifestyle. At the same time, even while I disagree with it, I do not try to interfere with or prevent those who live that lifestyle, from doing what makes them happy. .
What the heck is 'the lifestyle'?

When people use rhetoric like that, it signals to me that you are just mimicking what you've heard and you really haven't thought about what you are saying. It's a smoke screen for 'homophobic.'

Definition of lifestyle:

-the habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, economic level, etc., that together constitute the mode of living of an individual or group.

Ok...gay people all have different habits, attitutudes, tastes, moral standards, economic levels...so how can there be ONE GAY LIFESTYLE? Is there one straight lifestyle? Or are all people different and it's stupid to lump anyone in just based on who they sleep with?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,730,513 times
Boorish, caustic, bossy, disparaging, narcissism, acerbity, constantly pining for attention, not having a filter between your brain and your mouth. I was going to add bitchiness, but knowing how much Braunwyn despises that term I decided to employ that filter between my brain and the keyboard.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:23 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,696,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
If I am not mistaken, NPD has been removed from the DSM-V this year due to how common it is in the population
LOL...It's become the NEW American way.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,740,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What the heck is 'the lifestyle'?

When people use rhetoric like that, it signals to me that you are just mimicking what you've heard and you really haven't thought about what you are saying. It's a smoke screen for 'homophobic.'

Definition of lifestyle:

-the habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, economic level, etc., that together constitute the mode of living of an individual or group.

Ok...gay people all have different habits, attitutudes, tastes, moral standards, economic levels...so how can there be ONE GAY LIFESTYLE? Is there one straight lifestyle? Or are all people different and it's stupid to lump anyone in just based on who they sleep with?
In answer to your question: one thing I really dislike is the way that Hollywood plays up and glamorizes homos*xuality as a culturally super-hip, ultra-desirable and cool sort of thing. Gays are routinely portrayed as the hippest, uber-cool, totally awesome commodity by today's mainstream media -- just turn on the TV and watch the myriad number of reality TV shows, movies, etc., blatantly promoting homos*xuality as desirable. You don't see straight ppl openly flaunting their s*xuality like that. It's the way that those who are militantly homos*xual "flaunt it", with an "in your face" attitude, that I find extremely distasteful. Gays who keep their private intimate life "private" and don't try to force you to culturally endorse and validate their lifestyle, I have no problem at all with. As far as I am concerned, both straight and gay ppl should keep their private intimate life and s*xual proclivities, private and in the bedroom, where it belongs.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-08-2011 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Adds

Old 07-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
In answer to your question: one thing I really dislike is the way that Hollywood plays up and glamorizes homos*xuality as a culturally super-hip, ultra-desirable and cool sort of thing. Gays are routinely portrayed as the hippest, uber-cool, totally awesome commodity by today's mainstream media -- just turn on the TV and watch the myriad number of reality TV shows, movies, etc. You don't see straight ppl openly flaunting their s*xuality like that. It's the way that those who are militantly homos*xual "flaunt it", with an "in your face" attitude, that I find extremely distasteful. Gays who keep their private intimate life "private" and don't try to force you to culturally endorse and validate their lifestyle, I have no problem at all with. As far as I am concerned, both straight and gay ppl should keep their private intimate life and s*xual proclivities, private and in the bedroom, where it belongs.
Um, number one, that's HOLLYWOOD. That's hardly representative of all gay (or even most gay) people.

And number two...are you effin' serious? You don't think Hollywood and the media and Madison Avenue don't play up heterosexuality all the time and everywhere? That's pretty much every beer ad and every Victoria Secret catalogue and every boob job and every make-up ad and pretty much every single movie and tv show out there.

See...it's clear you haven't really thought about this. And you haven't addressed what 'the lifestyle' is, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology