U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 AM

328 posts, read 933,403 times

Advertisements

I just came back to the forum after taking the weekend off. I am thrilled to see the quality of responses regarding "Trusting" happiness.......I love the idea that so many folks understand the notion that happiness comes from within us....We can in fact choose to be content, happy or miserable.. I am so grateful for the post of Mainstreet who wrote of being a 911 operator. You just put this dreary Monday into perspective....Thanks........Makes me Happy
Spiritwalker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 01:43 PM

65,147 posts, read 16,023,404 times
True happiness comes within,you did something then you are happy inside you.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,221 times
Ive shifted my focus from happiness to peace. Happiness has always betrayed me. I hope peace wont.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:55 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,210,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbubble;9995868[B
]Ive shifted my focus from happiness to peace. Happiness has always betrayed me. I hope peace wont.[/b]
But it's all up to you! Happiness is a choice we make. Happiness is what we choose to feel, because happiness is in the deliberately chosen values of the beholder, in the deliberately chosen reaction of the beholder.
So are disappointment, worry, delight, cherishing, fear...
So is peacefulness. Our own, individual, constant, deliberate choice, moment by moment, situation by situation, every mement of our lives.

And practice makes perfect
And peacefulness, serenity, kindness, compassion, happiness, delight and joy are all the same thing . . . I wish you all.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,161,627 times
I think people may not trust that happiness will stay. It nearly never does. To add to the mix - I agree with many of the posts - happiness comes from within. Abe Lincoln said "People are about as happy as they set their minds to be." I agree!

I see that we can lack the ability to trust happiness is usually due to prior disapointments. i.e. You fall in love with a great guy. You are happy - it's true love. Then, the relationship falls apart. So the next time you meet a great guy you will wonder if he will disapoint you. It's hard to trust that you could be happy.

More, we are sold a bill of goods to expect that we will "live happily ever after". In the best of relationships not every day is pure bliss. The car breaks down, the job is dull, the kids make noise, etc. It's life. It is very possible to live a happy life if you can remember than not every aspect of every day is happy.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,669,713 times
I really believe happiness is a choice. I have a chronic illness, but I've decided if I wake up in the morning I'm going to be happy. This has had a wonderful impact on my life because I truly love life now and my joy spreads to others I come into contact with during the day.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:05 PM

38,756 posts, read 37,929,773 times
How did this corpse get dug up??

Eastern philosophy says to not "seek" happiness. That happiness comes from within.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM

4,912 posts, read 6,578,364 times
It really depends on where you derive your happiness from. I tend to be wary of the happiness that comes with someone special. Lessons learned the hard way. Applying facts to life is the root of wisdom. Now here's another one of those pitiful numbers done by Alison Krauss & Union Station on this very subject.

YouTube - HAPPINESS

Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,077,500 times
In 1996, I was told that I only had two years left to live. For me, that was the definition of sorrow...

But happiness? As many have said, that comes from within. Once I realized that there was more to life than just living, well, that's when I learned to trust happiness, and more than that, I learned to trust life.

Just remember: Worry won't add another single day to your life. Life is much more exciting and enjoyable when you're out playing the game.. At least then you can laugh at the strange people wearing goofy clothes on the sidelines..

Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,866,873 times
Quote:
How do you do this?
I think the best way is just to realize that everything is so fleeting and life goes by so fast. One you acknowldge that, you tend to appreciate the little things more. I don't think happiness is a time in someone's life, I think it is an everyday thing. Even when life is really hard, I always find something to smile about, or appreciate. That doesn't mean that you're going to be happy all the time. I think that life is a mix of things - that's what makes it interesting. Sadness, anger, loneliness, love, longing, lust - they're all feelings that we need to feel at one time or another.

~Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or