U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:03 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times

Advertisements

you hit it on the nail good post. i am ok with a lil happy. i dont do happy happy too well, when i do happy happy very soon i wake up and find the house burning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 AM

473 posts, read 1,343,618 times
To me trusting happiness is just like hearing silence when 2 or more kids are playing together - something's up and run like hell!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 PM

296 posts, read 584,109 times
The reason why I don't trust happiness is because as much as I know logically that "happiness comes from within, " I know what my body reacts differently when the sun is out than when it's raining. Or whether I have a fight with a friend or we hug. Whether I win the lottery or I am evicted. It's not just something mental, it's physiological.

The circumstances of my life DO have an impact on how I feel. I think I can choose to be contented. I can choose to accept what I can, change what I can and move on with the rest. But emotions just happen. That may be why I don't trust it.

That euphoria that I feel when I am dancing and the music is just amazing! That's happiness for me and I wish I could feel that all the time....

Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,088,351 times
So do you all trust misery then? I don't get many of these responses.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM

76 posts, read 167,300 times
Is it even possible to trust happiness?

It's one of the few things every human strives for in their life. Some give up sooner than others and some have it way more than others. There are so many factors in our life which determine how happy we are. One person will be dealt a better hand than another and some are just better suited "genetically" do deal with life’s trials and find happiness.

Nobody is ever truly happy ALL THE TIME. It's impossible. At every level of the universe there are positives and negatives. Being "Happy" all the time would create a great imbalance in your life. There is never a perfect balance which explains successful people vs. violent criminals.

We all want it, half of us will have it, half of those who do don't actually know how they got it. Those who are sad more than not will eventually understand why they aren't happy and the key for them is to realize why sooner than later.

Last edited by Zwick; 07-30-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 05:05 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,513,009 times
I'm happier now than I've ever been in my life. I contribute it to getting out of a bad relationship (he was verbally abusive) and moving 3,000 miles away from my family.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
So do you all trust misery then? I don't get many of these responses.
Great question, That Guy.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,491,906 times
For most adults, life is a grind. Happiness comes in short bursts, usually in the form of pleasure. Not too many people out there are walking around feeling happy all the time, if you are, I want some of those vitamins your taking. I would gamble to say most people aren't delighted their jobs, are bored with their marriages and are rarely content with what they have. They go through life complaining about what they "don't" have instead of seeing how much they do have. Just read through posts on C-D from every state...people are constantly looking to move somewhere else in hopes of finding happiness, not realizing they have to take themselves and all of their mental baggage with them, and the cycle starts all over again once the newness wears off.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
For most adults, life is a grind. Happiness comes in short bursts, usually in the form of pleasure. Not too many people out there are walking around feeling happy all the time, if you are, I want some of those vitamins your taking. I would gamble to say most people aren't delighted their jobs, are bored with their marriages and are rarely content with what they have. They go through life complaining about what they "don't" have instead of seeing how much they do have. Just read through posts on C-D from every state...people are constantly looking to move somewhere else in hopes of finding happiness, not realizing they have to take themselves and all of their mental baggage with them, and the cycle starts all over again once the newness wears off.
You hit the nail on the head. Happiness = pleasure for most of us. It takes A LOT of mental energy to convince yourself otherwise.

Also, that is the appeal of travel for people, I think. To get away, physically and figuratively. If it's a vacation, that often works...but once you move somewhere else, you realize that you are still the same person and people are the same everywhere you go (once you get to know them well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or