U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:56 AM

328 posts, read 933,206 times

Advertisements

I was recently watching the Movie "Tender Mercies" ( I've seen it a dozen times... great acting... great story) . In the movie there is a part where Robert Duvall says to Tess Harper " I don't trust happiness." This got me to thinking. Why is it that so many folks don't trust happiness.....Does the other shoe always have to drop so to speak? Most all of us realize that life is a roller coaster ride yet is it possible to trust happiness once again after we are KO'd by that other big shoe? Why can't we just enjoy that Second, Minute, Hour, Day or whatever of happiness. Just revel in it unburdened and joyous. How do you do this?
Spiritwalker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:48 AM

186 posts, read 272,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
I was recently watching the Movie "Tender Mercies" ( I've seen it a dozen times... great acting... great story) . In the movie there is a part where Robert Duvall says to Tess Harper " I don't trust happiness." This got me to thinking. Why is it that so many folks don't trust happiness.....Does the other shoe always have to drop so to speak? Most all of us realize that life is a roller coaster ride yet is it possible to trust happiness once again after we are KO'd by that other big shoe? Why can't we just enjoy that Second, Minute, Hour, Day or whatever of happiness. Just revel in it unburdened and joyous. How do you do this?
Spiritwalker
I will talk to you about what was said in another movie called The Pursuit of Happyness. The main character claims that true happiness does not exist--there are moments in your life when you are happier than others--but true happiness does not exist, however, what does exist is the struggle or pursuit to attain happiness. All of our lives human struggle to obtain it--and thats all we have.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:50 AM

141 posts, read 532,566 times
What's the ole saying?..."It's better to love and to have lost than to never have loved at all" or however it goes. Point is, it's the same with happiness. We can't go through life not trusting happiness in fear of something bad happening. Everyday is a gift and if you're happy that day, run with it, hold it tight and treasure it!

Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM

25,454 posts, read 23,266,873 times
I think if we stop trying to obtain it and just allow the ball to drop where ever, we become calm, contented...and also, we have little expectations,therefore, when something outstanding does happen, we truly rejoice...and it is those moments, we truly understand the need for our trials and tribulations...for it is a learning period, which grows happiness so to speak...when we drop the idea of living our lives according to what others think happiness is, then we do realize it...and also, we must forget about asking for permission to be happy...or expecting someone else to make us happy...it's got to come from within?

Old 08-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,109,309 times
Trusting happiness....interesting topic. I trust happiness because I'm well aware that I'm the only person responsible for my own. Many people put that responsibility for their own happiness on the laps of others. I've always been a mind dweller and live a relatively secluded and solitary life (a customized life) and my happiness is fueled by a balance of resilient humor and empathy for others who aren't as blessed with this "take" on life and happiness.

I've been a 911 operator for 13 years and talk to people everyday that may be experiencing the worst day of their lives; that keeps everything neatly in perspective for me. Most of the time...the people I talk to at work, got themselves into their predicaments because they chronically put the responsibility of their happiness on others who can't follow through. Single mothers and fathers with those revolving door relationships, etc.

Just one shift at work can make not being a homeowner, slave to a colostomy bag, Indiana outlander, very very desirable

Old 08-10-2007, 10:21 AM

25,454 posts, read 23,266,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
Trusting happiness....interesting topic. I trust happiness because I'm well aware that I'm the only person responsible for my own. Many people put that responsibility for their own happiness on the laps of others. I've always been a mind dweller and live a relatively secluded and solitary life (a customized life) and my happiness is fueled by a balance of resilient humor and empathy for others who aren't as blessed with this "take" on life and happiness.

I've been a 911 operator for 13 years and talk to people everyday that may be experiencing the worst day of their lives; that keeps everything neatly in perspective for me. Most of the time...the people I talk to at work, got themselves into their predicaments because they chronically put the responsibility of their happiness on others who can't follow through. Single mothers and fathers with those revolving door relationships, etc.

Just one shift at work can make not being a homeowner, slave to a colostomy bag, Indiana outlander, very very desirable
a truly magnificant post....BRAVO!!!!!!! and thank you

Old 08-10-2007, 02:28 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,177,711 times
Good posts from everyone-

I am happier today than I have been in 8 years - I am celebrating a divorce that has brought me back into life- I was in the depth of depression May and June- I am learning to love life again-

Happiness may be transient, but I am learning again that it exists- sometimes its very hard to find- but we need to persevere

sunny

Old 08-10-2007, 02:41 PM

3,798 posts, read 6,025,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamInShape View Post
I will talk to you about what was said in another movie called The Pursuit of Happyness. The main character claims that true happiness does not exist--there are moments in your life when you are happier than others--but true happiness does not exist, however, what does exist is the struggle or pursuit to attain happiness. All of our lives human struggle to obtain it--and thats all we have.
My husband just rented this movie for us and we both enjoyed it. I have more to add on the topic but don't have the time now. Great posts everyone!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:55 AM

3,798 posts, read 6,025,890 times
I think it depends on how you define happiness. People don't trust it because they don't want it to let them down, they expect a moment of happiness to be constant. That's not so, true happiness comes in bits and pieces. Life gives you just enough to keep hanging around for your next "fix".

I believe that we can have moments where we are truly carefree, light, if we laugh it flows freely, a moment of perfection; pure...happiness.

When you leave your stress at the door, you open yourself up to endless possiblities. A child's touch, a glow in their eye, an awe inspired expression watching something magical happen right before their eyes. If you're not aware these moments of happiness will pass you by, they don't wait for you, you have to look for them.

Now we can choose our attitudes, be more open to these moments and we can look for the option to choose to "look on the bright side" but that is making a concious decision to choose "happiness" and it feels more positive then...happy. It's a little more forced, but still much better than walking around in our own self pity or negativity.

Our attitudes can be adjusted and we have choices on how we respond to others and their choices. Do I trust happiness? Absolutely, bottle it up baby.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:50 AM

9,342 posts, read 8,732,469 times
Happiness is usually based on an event or a passing emotion. I prefer to be content. I am content with who I am and where I am at this stage of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or