Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know people who've actually had a community of supportive hands, family, colleagues, and friends and then claimed boastfully and callously that they have done everything themselves independently without the "hand holding" of a supportive group or others? When it's obvious that the majority of people in the USA are inter-dependent on each other.

What do you think of these types of duplicitous people? I've read complaints on this forum all the time about people getting offended and "bothered" by other people who request help and request reliable friendship ... they are aggravated by that and boast how nobody ever helped them and they did everything themselves ...

Is this merely projection? One does not want to admit to being helped and mentored along the way and supported by family and friends so they lash out at those who are in desperate need of care, help, attention, friendship, etc.

I've seen this a lot and I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with these buffoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 01:59 PM

454 posts, read 596,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Does anyone know people who've actually had a community of supportive hands, family, colleagues, and friends and then claimed boastfully and callously that they have done everything themselves independently without the "hand holding" of a supportive group or others? When it's obvious that the majority of people in the USA are inter-dependent on each other.

What do you think of these types of duplicitous people? I've read complaints on this forum all the time about people getting offended and "bothered" by other people who request help and request reliable friendship ... they are aggravated by that and boast how nobody ever helped them and they did everything themselves ...

Is this merely projection? One does not want to admit to being helped and mentored along the way and supported by family and friends so they lash out at those who are in desperate need of care, help, attention, friendship, etc.

I've seen this a lot and I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with these buffoons.
Everybody needs somebody so who ever said that wasn't being honest

Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 PM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
Default I have always wondered that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisweetheart View Post
Everybody needs somebody so who ever said that wasn't being honest
I have to agree with you on this. Someone would be completely delusional to say that he/she got "somewhere" (as in, anywhere of importance) without the help of someone else. It could have been one "someone else" or several, but someone must have offered and given help be it financial, emotional, through personal connections...

What may be the problem with asking for help or admitting that help is needed is that our culture has always idolized (in a way) the "self-made man," "brave pioneer," or the "rags-to-riches" story and such. These histories are inspiring and do deserve attention--many have overcome obstacles to do really great things. But surely the people who did these great things have a lot of other people to thank. Maybe we focus too much on the result and forget about the time it took to get there.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:10 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Ah yes, I've experienced these people and it's usually in the context of them criticizing other people for needing a helping hand. I have a cousin--a lawyer--who had the nerve to stand in my mother's house and go on and on about how certain people think they should have some help when no one ever helped her and she pulled herself up by the bootstraps and by golly they can too. What she failed to realize is that she had stayed with my mother for 2 whole years while she was in a master's program and never paid rent or utilities, and never cooked a meal. She assumed that since she was the "good kid" in the family that everyone should just be delighted by her presence. Well she certainly has made a success of herself, but no one can stand to be around her. Oh yeah, and her folks paid for her college all the way through and she married a physician.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I've also known some attorneys who act that way. Some people seem to have arrogant entitlement issues no matter their financial, educational, and social status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Ah yes, I've experienced these people and it's usually in the context of them criticizing other people for needing a helping hand. I have a cousin--a lawyer--who had the nerve to stand in my mother's house and go on and on about how certain people think they should have some help when no one ever helped her and she pulled herself up by the bootstraps and by golly they can too. What she failed to realize is that she had stayed with my mother for 2 whole years while she was in a master's program and never paid rent or utilities, and never cooked a meal. She assumed that since she was the "good kid" in the family that everyone should just be delighted by her presence. Well she certainly has made a success of herself, but no one can stand to be around her. Oh yeah, and her folks paid for her college all the way through and she married a physician.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Usually the people who haven't had any help are the least to be boastful about it. You'd never even know unless you asked them about their past. I often find them to be some of the most humble people you can come across once you get past their demeanor (they're usually scarred by something in life).

Old 07-24-2011, 07:23 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,246 times
Very interesting post. I think it falls into the same category as people who say they "walked 20 miles to school in the blizzard"...or something along those lines

Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Oh you mean Republicans?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Oh you mean Republicans?
Someone just had to bring up politics, didn't they?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:39 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Someone just had to bring up politics, didn't they?

Hey, that's where I find this attitude the most. And I am a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology