U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 PM

27,467 posts, read 17,629,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I guess that pretty much sums it up. I just wish they'd steal things like money which can be replaced instead of stealing my things which cannot be replaced.

Long time ago I was moving from one state to another. My car was broken into and, of course, they took all the things that cannot be replaced and important things and left the TV and stereo behind. Seems to work that way for me.
Despite my flippant answer, I'm sorry. When someone steals from you they take more than the mere object... they take trust, memories, innocence, security....
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:07 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,290,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Despite my flippant answer, I'm sorry. When someone steals from you they take more than the mere object... they take trust, memories, innocence, security....
Bingo. Thanks. You hit the nail on the head. They really do take all those other things too and there is no dollar value on those things either and no way to get them back once they are gone.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 PM

27,467 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Quote:
Bingo. Thanks. You hit the nail on the head. They really do take all those other things too and there is no dollar value on those things either and no way to get them back once they are gone.
I don't allow those who have previously pilfered a second chance at a shopping spree. Your trust has too much value.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:50 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,669,432 times
Quote:
Well, I was asking myself, self - have you ever stolen? Then I thought about pens from work and yes I've taken them. If asked I'd probably say no too. But we're talking pens from a corporation and a job. Not something of real value from a friend. This is why it is so hard for me to put myself in the mindset of a thief and why I don't understand why they steal #1 and why they deny #2. I try and rationalize and think of every conceivable reason such and such could have gone missing but it all comes down to a suspect in question yet they still deny.
Since I'm not a thief, I have to guess at this. The stealing would be either for the money value at a pawn shop, or because they simply wanted the items. The denial would be because they are going to try to avoid retribution for it.

I've had things turn up missing also. Thousands of dollars worth. And, I knew who was doing it as well. But, he denied it every time I brought it up. When my step-son got sent to prison on drug charges, the stealing stopped. Still, he denies it.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:55 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,988,868 times
Quote:
Well, I was asking myself, self - have you ever stolen? Then I thought about pens from work and yes I've taken them. If asked I'd probably say no too. But we're talking pens from a corporation and a job. Not something of real value from a friend. This is why it is so hard for me to put myself in the mindset of a thief and why I don't understand why they steal #1 and why they deny #2. I try and rationalize and think of every conceivable reason such and such could have gone missing but it all comes down to a suspect in question yet they still deny.
I would bet that if they're a real friend, and if they stay in your life, eventually they will probably confess. At some point the truth will come out.

But that's assuming you keep them in your life - and if they're stealing from you, do you really want them in your life? If it's just a friend, probably not, but if it's a close relative?

Just a hard situation, all the way around...

Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,060,346 times
Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier to just admit the truth and say "yunno, I am really sorry. I don't know what came over me and it was a bad thing to do. I will return X and it won't happen again."

Instead, they deny even though you know they did it.

And, is there any way to get these people to admit to their thievery? Any sort of way to put it so that you get the situation (and your money or items back) under control?

Has anyone been successful in dealing with a thief and what did you do?
Is this related to the other thread you started on the same topic?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why would a dishonest person be dishonest about their dishonestly?

Gee, I dunno.
Good one!!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM

48,893 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Is this someone you know or were you just randomly robbed?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:24 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,290,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Is this someone you know or were you just randomly robbed?
Both. I've been stolen from by "friends" and also randomly robbed (or my car was). The only thing that hasn't happened (knock on wood) is my house being robbed. Might be that sign I have out in front and my alarm system and my yappy dog and the fact I'm home a lot and I also have a safe. Oh, and a gun is on the radar too, even though I don't like them. I suppose I should get one.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:13 AM

912 posts, read 130,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman
Unless you've caught them in the act...denial is a thieves best friend.
And its human nature to lie and cheat........ Its wrong but thats how most are..... They couldnt be honest for anything I dont think.... (Catching them in the act is the only way of truely being able to confront them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or