U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:38 AM

591 posts, read 721,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
I read a lot of websites like

Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence | Google Groups

and Luminosity which follow the same principles as Nintendo Brain Training - where you perform memory, attention and logic exercises with the hope you will improve your overall brain function and which will then improve your IQ.

Now I am sceptical because - they might help may be able to improve your short term memory, thereby increase the amount of information you can hold to make you think clearer. But did 15 years of Education make me any smarter, perhaps a little but I don't think it made that much difference.

Assuming all this stuff does not work - how can actually make yourself smarter -

Is actually possible to take someone with IQ of say 100 - working as taxi driver, and them to become much smarter with enough effort, by being able to design and develop things, do a PHD in mathmatics etc, write an academic, develop complex software - you get the idea - something requires some real brain power.

Or will it ever be possible to smarter than you basic IQ - If you think how much knowledge is available on the internet to everyone, does this actually make us smarter or just more knowledge.

The basic of advice of read lots, work your brain hard, do lots of puzzles etc - yes might help push you to your limit, but if its not something you take to naturally then your not going to keep it up - and its hardly going to turn you into genius.

Surely genuinely smart people don't even need to do this, they already thinking skills to do whatever they want. All the education and working hard will only get you so far.

If you think of someone you know your smarter than - Is it likely that person will become smarter than you just by trying to do the same things as you? They cannot know exactly how you think.
OK I'm jumping in at the end here, but I know from seeing research that those who are or become ambidextrous are smarter/become smarter. The bottom line is that by exercising both sides of the brain (using not just the dominant hand/arm), you create new neural pathways that also synergistically exercise the brain better than when those pathways did not exist. This I mean is due to playing an instrument, opening doors with the "wrong" hand, etc.; you don't even have to be using logic, it's the action that actually increases the IQ. You are increasing the speed at which the "wrong" side of the brain operates.

But let's get serious: the change is only going to be 4-5 points of IQ, as defined by a greater ability to use logic to answer questions, not necessarily as witnessed by being a scanner who memorizes all the baseball stats in existence. So no, you are not gong to find a street-savvy person becoming a nuclear physicist over this by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,699,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
OK I'm jumping in at the end here, but I know from seeing research that those who are or become ambidextrous are smarter/become smarter. The bottom line is that by exercising both sides of the brain (using not just the dominant hand/arm), you create new neural pathways that also synergistically exercise the brain better than when those pathways did not exist. This I mean is due to playing an instrument, opening doors with the "wrong" hand, etc.; you don't even have to be using logic, it's the action that actually increases the IQ. You are increasing the speed at which the "wrong" side of the brain operates.

But let's get serious: the change is only going to be 4-5 points of IQ, as defined by a greater ability to use logic to answer questions, not necessarily as witnessed by being a scanner who memorizes all the baseball stats in existence. So no, you are not gong to find a street-savvy person becoming a nuclear physicist over this by any means.
perhaps with really consistent braining training and reading, learning more complex material its possible to raise IQ.

The flynn effect - where the average IQ raises every generation because the pace and complexity of life is much more than say 20 or 30 years.

Personally if I had the choice between an academic book, and a newspaper I would read the news paper - mostly because the academic book is a harder read, and maybe more boring.

There if we artifically stress our brain everyday, more and more complexity surely it has the effect of making us smarter.

Perhaps those extremely smart types, are just like superathletes - naturally talented but they simply push there brains much harder than Mr Average.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
You may not able to raise your actual intelligence, but you can learn to perform better in intelligence-measuring tests.

When I was in college, I hung out with guys who where graduate students in the psych lab. Lots of them were working on IQ-type tests, and gladly used me as a guinea pig to try them out, because i thought they were great fun and I loved the challenge. I probably took about 20 of those kinds of tests, and I could whip through them with startling accuracy. I got 160 on the WAIS once. I sat for the ROTC's RQ-5, and got the second highest score in the history of the university.

If a kid has a natural inclination to enjoy those kinds of "games" and gets enough practice at them, he can get really high scores. But I certainly don't have an IQ anywhere near that level.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,271,003 times
For what it's worth, I used to belong to Mensa but quit my membership after realizing that for an artist and sculptor, it was obvious there was really little interest in the "arts" (or anything else "abstract") among other members. In general they seem to be mostly a very "literal" bunch, albeit with a great deal of intelligence and command of "factual" kinds of information. And have since come across several articles and other members who've pointed out that extreme "literalness" is a common characteristic of Asperger's, along with frequently having high I.Q.'s. So there's actually lot's of different kinds of "intelligence" out there.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:18 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,862,941 times
I read that many people who think they have high IQs let their intelligence slip because they think they do not have to be constantly learning, they get intellectually lazy. if you are constantly learning you increase your intelligence, otherwise you are letting your mind stagnate. Learning constantly and applying those lessons is the true mark of intelligence in my opinion.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
Quote:
Surely genuinely smart people don't even need to do this, they already thinking skills to do whatever they want. All the education and working hard will only get you so far.
Everyone has the same abilities to think; there are not different grades of brains. The problem is that not everyone uses them the same way. You might be able to learn a different way to study, which could result in a different way to reason things out, but you're not going to increase your "brain power." (Of course, the people behind these magical new nostrums know this already).

I think of this as the "Dorothy Phenomenon." You know--Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. All she wanted to do was go home. Then, at the end of the movie, the Good Witch points out that Dorothy had the ruby slippers; she had the power to go home all along and didn't know it.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,364,853 times
Quote:
I read a lot of websites like

Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence | Google Groups

and Luminosity which follow the same principles as Nintendo Brain Training - where you perform memory, attention and logic exercises with the hope you will improve your overall brain function and which will then improve your IQ.

Now I am sceptical because - they might help may be able to improve your short term memory, thereby increase the amount of information you can hold to make you think clearer. But did 15 years of Education make me any smarter, perhaps a little but I don't think it made that much difference.

Assuming all this stuff does not work - how can actually make yourself smarter -

Is actually possible to take someone with IQ of say 100 - working as taxi driver, and them to become much smarter with enough effort, by being able to design and develop things, do a PHD in mathmatics etc, write an academic, develop complex software - you get the idea - something requires some real brain power.

Or will it ever be possible to smarter than you basic IQ - If you think how much knowledge is available on the internet to everyone, does this actually make us smarter or just more knowledge.

The basic of advice of read lots, work your brain hard, do lots of puzzles etc - yes might help push you to your limit, but if its not something you take to naturally then your not going to keep it up - and its hardly going to turn you into genius.

If you think of someone you know your smarter than - Is it likely that person will become smarter than you just by trying to do the same things as you? They cannot know exactly how you think.
I don't think you can change the speed and depth at which you can learn something, which I believe is tied to intelligence.

However, one way to live smarter is to live life according to your expectations and to listen to your intuition.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:15 PM

709 posts, read 1,702,840 times
In terms of the actual IQ test--I believe there are several accepted IQ tests--100 would be the baseline, or average, to answer someone's question.

I think it is possible to "train" for the specific instrument and possibly do better on it, thus "raising your IQ." This would depend on how well you do on it to start with, and possibly also on any variables that existed to cause you to perform in a way that measured your IQ at less than what it actually is (possibly distracting test environment, exhaustion, chemical influence perhaps?). However, I do not think that which the IQ purports to measure will have been raised much, if at all. I believe it would be akin to a sort of "gaming the system" scenario.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,036,029 times
Your IQ doesn't mean crap if you have no common sense, same as education, doesn't mean crap if you don't know what to do with it.

Some of the smarties people in the world have no education, yet they have common sense. And some of the most stupid people in the world have an education yet they are book smart.

busta

Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 PM

82 posts, read 444,248 times
131 for whatever that is worth. I put a higher premium on common sense. then again, I tested INFJ on myers briggs, so (according to them), I am 1% of humanity? odd word, "humanity". a skid row poet with barf on his shoes whose catalogue sold (posthumously) for 8 million related we never had it from the beginning. the more I see the harder it is to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or