Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:37 AM

4,166 posts, read 6,292,055 times

Advertisements

My parents sent me to an "all girls" upscale Catholic high school during the early 60's. I know they wanted to make sure that I would be "safe" and protected during my teen years...But the principal and the nuns at the school could be very competitive at times...They bragged about "being the best" of all of the Catholic schools in the area...And there was a push to turn us into "socialites!" It seemed strange to me because my parents took pride in being "down-home people." We didn't rush out and buy trendy new products when they first came out on the market. My parents were frugal people who defined themselves by who they were on their "inside." (Versus their "outside.")...It took awhile but my parents finally took me out of the "snooty" school. I did better when I went to school with kids from middle-class families. I think schools can have a big effect on kids. I kept my eyes and ears open when my own kids attended school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 02:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,080,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
My parents sent me to an "all girls" upscale Catholic high school during the early 60's. I know they wanted to make sure that I would be "safe" and protected during my teen years...But the principal and the nuns at the school could be very competitive at times...They bragged about "being the best" of all of the Catholic schools in the area...And there was a push to turn us into "socialites!" It seemed strange to me because my parents took pride in being "down-home people." We didn't rush out and buy trendy new products when they first came out on the market. My parents were frugal people who defined themselves by who they were on their "inside." (Versus their "outside.")...It took awhile but my parents finally took me out of the "snooty" school. I did better when I went to school with kids from middle-class families. I think schools can have a big effect on kids. I kept my eyes and ears open when my own kids attended school.
Me, too. Still do. I have five children. All are adults except the one still at home. She's 11. I've been doing this mothering thing for quite awhile and wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 PM

537 posts, read 729,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Here’s a simple exercise that everybody can do. Over the next day or two, make a note at how many advertisements you’re bombarded with from audio, video, and printed material real and virtual. It’s all geared towards being young, beautiful, and thin/fit/in shape. Average looking people are rarely used in movies, advertisements, and the like. In addition to this, we’re told that if we don’t have a good job, a nice house in the suburbs, and live in certain areas, we’re supposed to strive to achieve all that. It’s possible if you only work hard enough. If we don’t wear X jeans, drive Y car, and all that the advertising community does to sell us on a certain lifestyle, we’re lead to believe that there’s something wrong with us. We’re often told how we should believe, and if our belief system goes against popular opinion that’s been fabricated via propaganda, we’re bad people for having independent thought. Even in politics we’re told what we should believe. Most of these things are simply out of reach for many people, so they’re stuck on an endless treadmill destination frustration and low self-esteem.

Is it any wonder why so many people suffer from poor self body image, social image, and the like? We’re basically told that we’re losers several times every waking minute for a variety of reasons that are beyond our control.

One good example is obesity. A person’s weight is probably the touchiest subject. I’ve heard a lot of people talk about fat people being lazy. I’m sure many are, but the lion’s share are probably fat due to their diet. Control what you eat is what many people tell fatties. If one eats healthy, it’s expensive. It’s often cheaper to just eat Twinkies or go to some fast food restaurant and shop on the dollar menu. For many poor people, eating healthy is out of their budget, but they’re told how they’re fat because they’re lazy, don’t want to exercise, and they can’t control their diet…

I wish I could explain it better, and I may be well off base, but this how I feel about America's dilemma on low self-esteem
You explained it just fine! Great post, bolillo!

We'd all be a lot better off if we just tell ourselves that we're not going to buy the crap they're trying to sell us...we're not going to buy the image, we're not going to buy the lifestyle, we're not going to buy the idea that we're nothing unless we buy they're crap.

Decide who you are, what you want, and how you want to live your life that will make you the most happy...the most content. Don't fall in line with what 'they' tell you you're supposed to be. Don't fall in line with what 'they' tell you how you're supposed to look. Life isn't about what you look like. Life isn't how many 'things' you can accumulate. Life isn't about impressing other people. Impress yourself by being yourself.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 AM

4,166 posts, read 6,292,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
You explained it just fine! Great post, bolillo!

We'd all be a lot better off if we just tell ourselves that we're not going to buy the crap they're trying to sell us...we're not going to buy the image, we're not going to buy the lifestyle, we're not going to buy the idea that we're nothing unless we buy they're crap.

Decide who you are, what you want, and how you want to live your life that will make you the most happy...the most content. Don't fall in line with what 'they' tell you you're supposed to be. Don't fall in line with what 'they' tell you how you're supposed to look. Life isn't about what you look like. Life isn't how many 'things' you can accumulate. Life isn't about impressing other people. Impress yourself by being yourself.
Right on! Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology