U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:39 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,981,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Do you believe our personalities change after a specific age or time in our life? Has your OWN personality changed since you were young?
I think it depends on the individual, but yes. My personality has changed alot since I was a "young one." I would say a complete turn-around...for the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 03:03 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,888,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I think it depends on the individual, but yes. My personality has changed alot since I was a "young one." I would say a complete turn-around...for the better!
Same here. I'm a lot different from when I was younger and for the better as well.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:28 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Life's experiences can change one's character...not always for the better. Hardships, loss, struggles, and on the other side, personal triumphs can do a lot to change a person's outlook, and aspects of their personalities.

I'm much the same person I've always been, I think, but different people I've met have changed my perspective on various stances I once held, and challenged my beliefs about people. While I don't think this has drastically changed my personality, it has changed my level of openmindedness and capacity for tolerance, I believe.

If you can learn, you can change. Others can't change you, but you can certainly change yourself.

Working in a behavioral science field, I definitely know that behavior can absolutely be changed...but not easily, not quickly, and not without effective motivation and reinforcement. But behavior and personality aren't the same thing.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,577,056 times
Not all.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:30 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,747,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I made a similar thread in the retirement forum but that was geared more towards senior citizens. Much love and respect to them. But now I wanted to ask everyone here (who is of all ages and walks of life), do you believe people change? And I'm not talking about lifestyle change. From drugs to clean or bad student to college graduate or meat-eater to vegan. None of that. I'm talking about personality wise. Their base person. Who are they are and who they've shown themselves to be. Do you believe our personalities change after a specific age or time in our life? Has your OWN personality changed since you were young? Have you noticed any personality change in your family or friends? Describe your personality and your temperament and those who you've grown up with and how they've changed or not changed over the years. Please feel free to include any class reunion stories.
I noticed that some of the jerkiest classmates turned into pretty great folks, and some of the nice ones from school turned into jerks!

Go figure!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
Yes I think life itself changes people. We are continuously growing, learning, experiencing and changing.

The problem is when people think they can change someone else. That will never happen.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:31 AM

12,422 posts, read 14,553,508 times
younglisa7...I agree with you....life is a continual learning experience.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
People change in different ways based on good and bad life experiences, or choices they make good and bad. Some are quick learners, some are not.

But I have seen this in family members and myself, basic personalities don't really change. Some of the core parts of a persons personality will always be there and always will be.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 PM

346 posts, read 427,912 times
I have changed, as I get older and have more responsibilities, I become less carefree and more stressed and irritable. NOT a change for the better in my opinion, and it is a daily battle sometimes to hang on to my cheerful, sunny, younger self.

My husband went through what some may call a mid-life crisis about five years ago, soon after my father died. He actually matured and changed some of his thought patterns, assumptions, and attitudes. Sometimes I forget I am not dealing with the "old" hubby, and I act a certain way, anticipating his actions, only to find myself apologizing because he doesn't think or act the same way he used to.

Yes people change.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:35 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,457,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893
But now I wanted to ask everyone here (who is of all ages and walks of life), do you believe people change?
I believe most people fall victim to PEER PRESSURE which causes them to change YES...... That shows they have a weak MIND and often give in to anyone for almost anything......

I havent ever given in to that,I have a strong mind thankfully and I am grateful.. My mom always asks me "Why dont you care what others think" and I dont,I dont give a rats tail what ANYTHING thinks of me..... I AM MY OWN PERSON -- I am not here to do what others think IS "NORMAL"!! (Which is a made up word.... MEANS NOTHING)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology