U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 PM
 
82 posts, read 444,524 times
Reputation: 169

Advertisements

moderate excercise (walking) an hour a day. no drugs. no booze. proper nutrition (google "eating clean" for a start). tons of water. vitamins (especially b complex and/also proper omega oil ratio supplementation). cut out negative, overly emotional and not-so-smart people from your life. read, read, read (from books). turn off t.v., computer, cell phone. have great sex (at least once a week). good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2011, 09:14 AM
 
26,917 posts, read 38,168,652 times
Reputation: 34869
Do you also "thrash"? That's what I call it when I have three or four things I have to get done and I can't settle on one to start with. My brain just keeps going in circles trying to figure out which should be first. Drives me to distraction and keeps me from getting anything done.

I hate when that happens!!

BTW the once a week great sex recommendation is a good one. A lot of wonderful chemicals are released in the body during orgasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 13,662,308 times
Reputation: 14764
How old are you? When I was in college I began to experience similar things and I never could figure out the reason. From about halfway through my senior year in high school until my mid twenties, I would struggle tremendously just to read a short story. I'd read the first paragraph over about ten times and realize I had no idea what it said, because my thoughts would be racing about everything else imaginable. And in class I would often experience that feeling you describe as having just arrived from another planet. I couldn't concentrate on anything because my mind was always racing, racing. The thing is, it still does now but I can concentrate pretty easily when I want to and can read half a book in one night and absorb it fairly well. I still have no idea what was up with me back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,603,351 times
Reputation: 35875
Definitely medical. Even at your age, a mini-stroke could have occurred, with no recognizable symptoms at the time. That would gradually get better and back to normal in a few days. But there are other medical things that can happen which affect the brain's capacity to function normally. Some spontaneous and ischemic, but could also be triggered by stress, diet, sleep habits, drugs, dietary deficiency, etc.

See a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
12,904 posts, read 18,462,351 times
Reputation: 13738
I happen to be a qualified purveyor of Hokeyoil Brain Gain Formula. For the LOW, LOW price of $199.00 payable in 28 installments, HBGF will cure all mental problems and make you a supergenius in only 6 weeks! Act now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 05:04 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
14,981 posts, read 16,555,590 times
Reputation: 28781
That was a pretty coherent posting for an idiot ;-)

I would agree that you should see a LD specialist (most universities have one or can refer you to one) because you seem to be describing ADHD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM
 
28,906 posts, read 45,235,124 times
Reputation: 45820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
I feel...stupid.

I can't function properly.

My thoughts are completely discombobulated the majority of the time. I am attending college right now but my concentration level is at an all time low. When people in class are participating in class discussions, I feel as though I just flew onto this planet and am now figuring out what has been happening in this world. WWII? Soviet Union? Communism? Stalin?

Wait so the proteins build the cells and the molecules...wait what!?!?

Our consciousness? Intellectual Design? Conditioning? Pavlov? HUH!??

I am an idiot.

I don't even know how to pay my taxes and I can't even understand what I am reading half the time because my mind is too busy thinking of pointless things which in turn make me even more dumb.

I can't even formulate a proper sentence outloud. I am not kidding. My past and present tenses always get mixed up.


How do I increase my IQ? QUICK!
Do the assigned readings. That would be my guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,070 posts, read 8,771,174 times
Reputation: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
moderate excercise (walking) an hour a day. no drugs. no booze. proper nutrition (google "eating clean" for a start). tons of water. vitamins (especially b complex and/also proper omega oil ratio supplementation). cut out negative, overly emotional and not-so-smart people from your life. read, read, read (from books). turn off t.v., computer, cell phone. have great sex (at least once a week). good luck!
I think vitamin D is a biggie... but I guess all of them are important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 12:49 PM
 
23,938 posts, read 17,598,784 times
Reputation: 12813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
I feel...stupid.

I can't function properly.

My thoughts are completely discombobulated the majority of the time. I am attending college right now but my concentration level is at an all time low. When people in class are participating in class discussions, I feel as though I just flew onto this planet and am now figuring out what has been happening in this world. WWII? Soviet Union? Communism? Stalin?

Wait so the proteins build the cells and the molecules...wait what!?!?

Our consciousness? Intellectual Design? Conditioning? Pavlov? HUH!??

I am an idiot.

I don't even know how to pay my taxes and I can't even understand what I am reading half the time because my mind is too busy thinking of pointless things which in turn make me even more dumb.

I can't even formulate a proper sentence outloud. I am not kidding. My past and present tenses always get mixed up.


How do I increase my IQ? QUICK!
you certainly don't sound like an idiot..

one thing you don't mention is whether this is a recent thing, or if you've always felt this way, but i assume it's the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM
 
262 posts, read 531,921 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you certainly don't sound like an idiot..

one thing you don't mention is whether this is a recent thing, or if you've always felt this way, but i assume it's the former.
I've ALWAYS been this way but it is affecting me in that I feel behind and feel as though I don't deserve the degree I am learning. I am putting people who have received a bachelors degree to shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top