U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,641,047 times

Advertisements

As too the OP, most people are waiting longer to have kids than they did in the past. But you will always have people who want to start young, and there is nothing wrong with that if that is their desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM

I don't agree this generation is more traditional than ones past either. I don't see too much traditional about my generation.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:56 PM

24,479 posts, read 28,808,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, this made me laugh. I was a single mom since my daughter was 8, and I always had to work. There was no choice. My daughter is 20. She certainly isn't pregnant nor will she become pregnant. As a matter of fact, she doesn't even like children and may never have any. The birth control talks took place long ago. She's a geek--loves school, loves to travel, just came back from studying in Asia. She speaks Spanish and Mandarin fluently plus some Russian and some Sichuan. I don't think my having to work to support us destroyed her mind.

As to the OP's "these days" about women having children in their 20's--my mother was married at 20 and had her first child at 21. Same for my grandmother. I was married at 31, had my daughter at 33. It's WAITING to have a child later that is the societal change, not the other way around.
Wow! good for your daughter! I agree with the bolded! Oh, and I was raised by 2 working parents and managed to graduate from college, get a job, get married, buy a house, then have kids at 30, in that order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
None of my friends who had kids as teens got free housing, or used free babysitting. Yes most of them had food stamps and WIC, but all of them worked. They also had a family support system that helped them out. Raising a child is not easy, and contrary to what you are saying most people do not sit around deciding to keep a child based off of getting WIC or head start. I know an equal amount of people that kept a child balanced by people who decided on abortion.
How many were there??? I didn't know any teen moms.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Over the last three decades, women have been waiting longer to start having children. In 1970 the average age of a first-time mother was about 21. In 2008 the average age was 25.1

Surprising facts about birth in the United States | BabyCenter

Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Wow! good for your daughter! I agree with the bolded! Oh, and I was raised by 2 working parents and managed to graduate from college, get a job, get married, buy a house, then have kids at 30, in that order!

How many were there??? I didn't know any teen moms.
I use the world friend loosely . But in high school to today i have been acquainted with a dozen probley. 2 of which are close close friends.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 AM

17,652 posts, read 21,837,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Don't they know the hardships of having a child? Especially the way the world is today.

They should know that raising a child takes a lot of hard work and patience with lots of energy, and is expensive. Why don't they enjoy their lives now and wait later on when their really ready?

And thanks to T.V. "reality shows" like Teen Mom, teenagers girls want to do the same by getting pregnant early.

When children make the choice to have children, the outcome is usually not good for anyone involved.

I do not care if someone knows of someone who managed to raise a happy and well adjusted child, the majority do not.

I agree with the OP - this is NOT a good thing and programing such as "Teen Mom" is discussed and forbidden in my home. I am not in favor of censorship. Horrible shows such as this will continue to be produced as long as people watch them.

Children having children lead to situations such as the Casey / Caylee Anthony tragedy.

What ever happened to that little girl would not have happened had she been put up for adoption and adopted by a mature and well educated couple.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 AM

5 posts, read 4,053 times
20's are fair enough to have a baby, i think at this age it is not difficult for them to be responsible and it is better for me to have baby at this age than to have baby at 35 year old i might looked like a grandma to my child that age

Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzella View Post
20's are fair enough to have a baby, i think at this age it is not difficult for them to be responsible and it is better for me to have baby at this age than to have baby at 35 year old i might looked like a grandma to my child that age
It is an unfortunate person who looks like a grandma at the age of 35. 45 maybe, but not 35.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 AM

741 posts, read 1,027,391 times
Hmmmm....I'm pregnant now at 28. I have two BA degrees, one BS degree and one Masters under my belt, as well as 5 years of steady employ with benifits, a house with a reasonable mortgage, a Husband of three years and I've travelled around the US, China and Ireland.....
...I feel pretty ready to have this baby, I'm not sure what else I'd do at this time other than "me" stuff, why wait around for another two years?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 870 times
Listen, society is a very bad influence and is absurd television, but it's not going to have any part in any teenager to have a baby. We're young, but we're not stupid. Why isn't anyone questioning why adults want to have babies? Teenagers have the same reasons as adults for why they want to have babies. We don't have any disorder, we don't find ourselves socially inadequate, and we're MOST DEFINITELY not trying to be "cool"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or