U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:17 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 907,503 times
Reputation: 829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would say, as accurate as an objective measure of intelligence can be. But I don't dwell more in measures, but in evidence. You?
I believe it is accurate. But people don't walk around with their IQ score painted on their forehead, so I usually generalize and make determinations based on observation if I intend on determining the intelligence level of an individual/group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:19 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 907,503 times
Reputation: 829
So for those of you who believe in the accuracy of IQ testing and that in the recent studies "Prejudiced" Conservatives tend to have relatively low IQ's, does the same hold for the Bell Curve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM
 
48,931 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Reputation: 30575
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I've got a cousin... book smart... common sense... hasn't got enough to come in out of the rain... Not to mention there's different kinds of smart. My son for example is a math and science kind of kid. Literature and writing... not so much. His IQ test was very high, but if you want him to put his thoughts into words... forget it... So are the tests accurate.. ??? I don't know...
The tests are accurate at measuring intelligence. Not common sense, education level, interest in a topic and so forth.

I've tested very high over the years and I just really dislike some topics like writing but if someone put a gun to my head I'd get a lot better.

IMO having strong abstract reasoning skills, creativity and the ability to apply unrelated knowledge to a separate problem are the highest forms of intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:24 PM
 
Location: N. Ga
3,492 posts, read 3,099,132 times
Reputation: 1833
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Do you consider your son to be intelligent? Or, doubt it?
Yes, he's very intelligent. But sometimes, as his mom, I just have to shake my head and think, "just where the heck did that come from," when he does something really boneheaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,013,458 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
I believe it is accurate. But people don't walk around with their IQ score painted on their forehead, so I usually generalize and make determinations based on observation if I intend on determining the intelligence level of an individual/group.
That was my point when I suggested relying on evidence. The quality of arguments people make demonstrates their intelligence. IQ test results do nothing more than simply back up and are useless in practice. As a person still has to be able to put that intelligence to practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Yes, he's very intelligent. But sometimes, as his mom, I just have to shake my head and think, "just where the heck did that come from," when he does something really boneheaded.
He is like me, good with Science and Math, but not someone who can brag about linguistic abilities.

Clearly though, his IQ reflects his intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:31 PM
 
48,931 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Reputation: 30575
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
So for those of you who believe in the accuracy of IQ testing and that in the recent studies "Prejudiced" Conservatives tend to have relatively low IQ's, does the same hold for the Bell Curve?
I'm not sure if I understand your question.

The bell curve is nothing more than a function, shaped like a bell that can be built using a mean (or average) and a standard deviation.

It's a proxy for actually having to plot each persons individual data points when you've determined that the points will roughly fit that sort of distribution. Also, since it's a known distribution you can then use math formulas to calc percentages etc etc instead of some empirical distribution which can be cumbersome.

The Prejudiced Conservative aspect of the argument I'd need to see more about but in general those types of studies are either badly flawed or misapplied so I don't lose too much sleep over them. I think the latter is the case in the other thread where the OP was being somewhat dishonest in their portrayal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 907,503 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm not sure if I understand your question.

The bell curve is nothing more than a function, shaped like a bell that can be built using a mean (or average) and a standard deviation.

It's a proxy for actually having to plot each persons individual data points when you've determined that the points will roughly fit that sort of distribution. Also, since it's a known distribution you can then use math formulas to calc percentages etc etc instead of some empirical distribution which can be cumbersome.

The Prejudiced Conservative aspect of the argument I'd need to see more about but in general those types of studies are either badly flawed or misapplied so I don't lose too much sleep over them. I think the latter is the case in the other thread where the OP was being somewhat dishonest in their portrayal.
I mean the book "The Bell Curve" which stated that East Asians are the most intelligent beings on planet Earth. I'm just interested in seeing in whether preconceived notions/media brainwashing can cause people to accept one study, but decrying another study by stating that "IQ is culturally biased" and "intelligence cannot be accurately measured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,734,724 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Is IQ testing accurate? That's the question.
I bet you if you asked people on here to define intellegence you'd get multiple responses. If we can't even agree what IQ is, how can we measure it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM
 
Location: NC
586 posts, read 499,081 times
Reputation: 275
That depends on how well I do on the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM
 
Location: N. Ga
3,492 posts, read 3,099,132 times
Reputation: 1833
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
That depends on how well I do on the test.

LOL..

And is the test verbal or written. My kid would do the calculations in his head, and come up with the right answer. His teacher's always told me though, if he had to actually show his work on the blackboard or a test, he'd struggle. Thankfully, they recognized this at an early age. It really didn't become an issue till college with one of his calc professors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top