U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:13 PM

6,584 posts, read 8,523,905 times
Don't you just love the idea that your level of intelligence can be boiled down to a single number, and ranked along with those of all the other dummies in the world? You may have taken an IQ test in the past, and may even know your score. It's an unfortunate fact of statistics that half the people walking around are below average intelligence the way the tests are scored assures that 100 is both the median and the average and sometimes we question the value of force-ranking ourselves, and assigning so much cultural significance and stigma to it, based on one narrow metric. IQ tests look like the ideal place to point Skeptoid's skeptical eye.

Full Article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 PM

15,991 posts, read 9,041,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Don't you just love the idea that your level of intelligence can be boiled down to a single number, and ranked along with those of all the other dummies in the world? You may have taken an IQ test in the past, and may even know your score. It's an unfortunate fact of statistics that half the people walking around are below average intelligence the way the tests are scored assures that 100 is both the median and the average and sometimes we question the value of force-ranking ourselves, and assigning so much cultural significance and stigma to it, based on one narrow metric. IQ tests look like the ideal place to point Skeptoid's skeptical eye.

Full Article
But not on this board, which, judging from many of the posts, is obviously inundated by geniuses

Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 PM

6,637 posts, read 6,199,415 times
Most IQ tests have several more specific subtests - for example math reasoning, verbal tests, analogies and other types of logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling
I never understood why anyone would even want to measure that, it only makes those with low IQs feel bad and those with high IQs feel superior, none of which is in the interest of society.
IQ tests are useful because they're the best predictors of job or academic success that are available. According to what I remember of the Bell Curve, IQ tests are better at predicting success at pretty much any job than any of the commonly used resume items such as work history or references. If they were legal, they could save businesses quite a lot of money (not for all individuals, but statistically speaking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy
Depends who made the test. I can ask one a list of facts and call it an inteligence test. Its not, that would be a knoledge test. Inteligence is the ability to figure things out. Mensa has some good ones.
There are various intelligence theories out there that the tests are based on, but one way of analyzing it is to say that there is crystallized intelligence (knowledge) and fluid intelligence (figuring things out). Both are useful. They're two dimensions of the hypothetical "g" or generalized intelligence that is summed up as an IQ score. That was Cattell's idea, and he was heavily involved with Mensa iirc.

There's no complete agreement on whether g is a valid concept on its own, or whether the components of g are more useful.

Eventually Cattell came up with several dimensions that those two incorporated, so there were several sub-tests that made up the final score (as with most IQ tests), each being useful in their own way.

Last edited by Woof; 01-29-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 06:57 PM

47,586 posts, read 34,456,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I never understood why anyone would even want to measure that, it only makes those with low IQs feel bad and those with high IQs feel superior, none of which is in the interest of society.
Well I think in many ways it's better to be at least average or above - but I don't think very high is necessarily better. Sometimes you see those very smart people who don't function all that well because they can't relate to most people. And their minds are so in the clouds they forget to bathe and tie their shoes.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Most IQ tests have several more specific subtests - for example math reasoning, verbal tests, analogies and other types of logic.

IQ tests are useful because they're the best predictors of job or academic success that are available. According to what I remember of the Bell Curve, IQ tests are better at predicting success at pretty much any job than any of the commonly used resume items such as work history or references. If they were legal, they could save businesses quite a lot of money (not for all individuals, but statistically speaking).
I don't think IQ tests help much in that sense. If a person is good at this or that, they will naturally try to do it as people don't like doing things they suffer and fail at doing.
I don't want an IQ gestapo telling people what profession to learn and which subjects to study. People should do what they feel like doing. Freedom is more important than money.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well I think in many ways it's better to be at least average or above - but I don't think very high is necessarily better. Sometimes you see those very smart people who don't function all that well because they can't relate to most people. And their minds are so in the clouds they forget to bathe and tie their shoes.
Indeed, many people with high IQ have problems dealing with society. Society is for the mediocre

Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 AM

10,268 posts, read 7,761,339 times
Is intelligence testing accurate?

I have mixed feelings on it.

I have taken more than a few pre job IQ tests in the past(LEO or advancement)...they were all pretty much within a few "points" of each other.

They all showed I have an extremely high IQ...BUT....I am a walking ,talking nightmare of idiocy for the most part.

I make one stupid move after another...I do not look,feel nor act "smart".

I posted on here quite awhile back about taking an IQ test for a job and it showed I was in the "Mensa" range...I showed back up on my regular job bragging to all my buddies how they were blessed to be working with such a great mind and blah blah blah...I then proceeded to back a Bulldozer off into a slurry pit and bury it beyond belief and then fell off the tracks into the mud while trying to get off of it...all in front of everyone I had just bragged to...so no,I do not think they are really that accurate.

My Dad was in the ASA while in the military..if you look that up,only .04% of military recruits scored high enough to even be considered for that...I watched him cut a tree down and it fell on his new truck...so there again,more proof in the direction of the accuracy of IQ testing imho.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:56 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,405,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
A true IQ test is non-verbal and is not influenced by cultural factors.
a non-verbal test can still be culturally biased. if it tests for certain types of intelligence and awards more points for those specific types of intelligence, that makes the test biased, even if all you're doing is looking at shapes.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,405,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Is intelligence testing accurate?

I have mixed feelings on it.

I have taken more than a few pre job IQ tests in the past(LEO or advancement)...they were all pretty much within a few "points" of each other.

They all showed I have an extremely high IQ...BUT....I am a walking ,talking nightmare of idiocy for the most part.

I make one stupid move after another...I do not look,feel nor act "smart".

I posted on here quite awhile back about taking an IQ test for a job and it showed I was in the "Mensa" range...I showed back up on my regular job bragging to all my buddies how they were blessed to be working with such a great mind and blah blah blah...I then proceeded to back a Bulldozer off into a slurry pit and bury it beyond belief and then fell off the tracks into the mud while trying to get off of it...all in front of everyone I had just bragged to...so no,I do not think they are really that accurate.

My Dad was in the ASA while in the military..if you look that up,only .04% of military recruits scored high enough to even be considered for that...I watched him cut a tree down and it fell on his new truck...so there again,more proof in the direction of the accuracy of IQ testing imho.
if you are in the mensa range (for what it's worth, i've been told by psychologists i am as well), then you should understand the multifaceted nature of intelligence. the same person can be a math whiz but socially retarded, or a social butterfly but mathematically retarded. obviously you are very smart in some areas and perhaps less so in others. that's true of everyone. some people are smarter than others overall, but in the end we all vary in how intelligent we are in each given area.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM

44,931 posts, read 12,684,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
IQ scores should never be revealed to the people involved. Actually, I don't think even parents should be told the numbers. I say this because so many people really don't understand what is entailed in IQ numbers.

I once had a high school junior who just couldn't read well enough to be there so I started looking back in his life. When he was in second grade his IQ was in the high middle part of his class but he was a kid that had been starved for attention as a small child. His mother would tie him to a clothes line and go to town for shopping and other forms of starvation. When he got in school he would do anything that would get him attention. Of course, he was in trouble with teachers all the time. One of them said that they even tied him to his desk when recess time came. He saw that as a kind of attention and strived for it. He was about 5'9 in high school and had some sharp braces on his teeth but a classmate who was 6'7 had figured out that attention was his need would actually grind his fist into his teeth, cutting his lips but the kid laughed his butt off because he was getting attention from the figure he saw as the most important one around. It was so sad and he never really learned to read but was passed on through elementary school to "get him out of my room". I seriously doubt that he could have scored more than 70 on the same IQ test for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology