Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
I mean the book "The Bell Curve" which stated that East Asians are the most intelligent beings on planet Earth. I'm just interested in seeing in whether preconceived notions/media brainwashing can cause people to accept one study, but decrying another study by stating that "IQ is culturally biased" and "intelligence cannot be accurately measured.
This may be off topic to where this thread has morphed but when I read the whole thing I failed to see one person who said anything about IQ as it was taught to us in college. IQ is a brief form of the two words intelligent quotient which means only ability to learn. Having a high IQ doesn't say anything other than much or little ability to learn.

The term IQ is one of the most falsely used terms in educational discussions when people don't know what the term means and I am not sure about most of you talking about it here.

There is a chance that the term doesn't mean what it did back in the 50s, 60s and 70s when I was going to college courses, but I think the chance is slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Is IQ testing accurate? That's the question.
That testing seems to be accurate except for the fact that many years ago people of the black race didn't like results because of cultural differences and the fact that the tests were originally aimed at white kids. I was always with them on that. I know that when they tried to measure my class of kids when I was 13 the test wasn't really fair. I had read much wider and more than anyone else in the class and always thought that my score may well have been inflated for that reason. When I got into Tests and Measurements classes in college I was convinced that it is impossible to accurately measure IQ at much past the age of 8 or 9. That is because as kids age their differences in experience continue to widen and you just can't make the test to work with all of an age group and the older they get the less accurate the measurement is.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
No. IQ is based on the wrong premise.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times
Quote:
After reviewing the topic regarding conservatives and their lower IQ's causing their prejudiced opinions, a thought came to me. Many people discredit intelligence testing based on all types of cultural (unless you are Asian) biases and the like. What are your thoughts on the accuracy of intelligence testing? After reading the bell curve and a rebuttal of the bell curve, I believe IQ testing is accurate and that intelligence is hereditary.
It may be "accurate", but it can be highly misleading and there definitely are some cultural/socioeconomic biases.

Does IQ measure emotional intelligence, social skills, daily practical skills, empathy for another human being, and most of all, how you use the skills and gifts you have? I'm not so sure it does.

That's why I don't put too much stock in intelligence tests.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Intelligence is not based on beliefs. It is grounded in facts, logic and the desire to investigate.
exactly. beliefs are a matter of conditioning. they come about through what others have told you, direct life experiences, and so on. intelligence is completely separate from the personal opinions someone has developed from conditioning.

i think that a lot of intelligence tests are biased because they oversimplify intelligence to the point that no accurate conclusion can be made about a person's intelligence. it's something people have, and everyone is more intelligent in certain areas and less so in others.

it's a lot easier to observe someone's intelligence directly, through getting to know them, than it is to quantify someone's intelligence on two or four axes. there are also other factors like the nature of the test-taking itself that can interfere with the person's results.

i.q. tests might give an idea of how smart someone is, but i would take them with a grain of salt. there are also a lot of intelligences that i.q. tests don't even test for. i.q. tests tend to be biased towards the same types of intelligence that the culture itself is. for example, if book smarts are valued over street smarts, then someone who's smart in the bookish sense will probably score a lot higher than someone who's smart in a practical sense. but that doesn't necessarily mean the bookish person is smarter on a whole than the practical person.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This may be off topic to where this thread has morphed but when I read the whole thing I failed to see one person who said anything about IQ as it was taught to us in college. IQ is a brief form of the two words intelligent quotient which means only ability to learn. Having a high IQ doesn't say anything other than much or little ability to learn.

The term IQ is one of the most falsely used terms in educational discussions when people don't know what the term means and I am not sure about most of you talking about it here.

There is a chance that the term doesn't mean what it did back in the 50s, 60s and 70s when I was going to college courses, but I think the chance is slim.
Correct. A high IQ indicates a high potential for processing complex information to create new thought. A low IQ indicates a low potential to do the same.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That testing seems to be accurate except for the fact that many years ago people of the black race didn't like results because of cultural differences and the fact that the tests were originally aimed at white kids. I was always with them on that. I know that when they tried to measure my class of kids when I was 13 the test wasn't really fair. I had read much wider and more than anyone else in the class and always thought that my score may well have been inflated for that reason. When I got into Tests and Measurements classes in college I was convinced that it is impossible to accurately measure IQ at much past the age of 8 or 9. That is because as kids age their differences in experience continue to widen and you just can't make the test to work with all of an age group and the older they get the less accurate the measurement is.
A true IQ test is non-verbal and is not influenced by cultural factors.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
IQ tests measure "something" (not well-defined, "Intelligence Quotient" is simply a term from the past that is convenient to still use). Whatever it is, it is EXTREMELY valid in terms of predicting success in school and at work, in a very generalized sense. IQ correlates positively to success in every field from dishwashing to physics, according to that old book The Bell Curve. (It doesn't predict individual success of course, I'm a classic example of a total failure with a relatively high IQ. And there was a surfer dude who was a part-time mathematics instructor in a community college who did some groundbreaking work in space dimensionality).

There are new IQ tests developed every year that take into consideration the latest concerns such as cultural slant. Some of those tests were developed by black psychometrists specifically to negate racial biases. I can think of one old test that attempted to eliminate such biases, the Raven Progressive Matrices test, and probably there are many more by now.

Such tests are useful and show higher frontal lobe mental abilities in certain ways, but a lack of them doesn't mean all that much in terms of creativity, cognitive complexity (ability to parallel process huge numbers of variables, as in gambling on horses), or athletic skill which involve other parts of the brain, such as dance or ball games.

Last edited by Woof; 01-29-2012 at 10:17 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Depends who made the test. I can ask one a list of facts and call it an inteligence test. Its not, that would be a knoledge test. Inteligence is the ability to figure things out. Mensa has some good ones.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I never understood why anyone would even want to measure that, it only makes those with low IQs feel bad and those with high IQs feel superior, none of which is in the interest of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology