U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 907,243 times
Reputation: 829

Advertisements

After reviewing the topic regarding conservatives and their lower IQ's causing their prejudiced opinions, a thought came to me. Many people discredit intelligence testing based on all types of cultural (unless you are Asian) biases and the like. What are your thoughts on the accuracy of intelligence testing? After reading the bell curve and a rebuttal of the bell curve, I believe IQ testing is accurate and that intelligence is hereditary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,010,717 times
Reputation: 12105
Intelligence is not based on beliefs. It is grounded in facts, logic and the desire to investigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 907,243 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Intelligence is not based on beliefs. It is grounded in facts, logic and the desire to investigate.
Is IQ testing accurate? That's the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,010,717 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Is IQ testing accurate? That's the question.
I would say, as accurate as an objective measure of intelligence can be. But I don't dwell more in measures, but in evidence. You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:34 PM
 
48,898 posts, read 39,401,698 times
Reputation: 30554
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Is IQ testing accurate? That's the question.
It's generally pretty accurate.

It's not the be-all and end-all that's for sure...but people with 90 IQ's don't wind up doing brain surgery.

I doubt anyone I work with is under 120 and 140+ is likely common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
Reputation: 4104
IQ testing has been rigorously checked for validity, showing a 95%+ reliability in scores.

There are always exceptions you can point out, but they come out very quickly. Usually dealing with language (taking the test in English it low competency) and vastly different cultural norms then presented in the test (living in the bush).

It is more based on genetic components, structure of the brain, experience, stimulation, drive and education then direct heritage. It is a bit difficult to get a clean statement if one is more active, and the affect on the model are shown in the link.

The other thing is no one who takes the test and gets an unsatisfactory score thinks it's valid. That's human nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Syracuse, New York
3,096 posts, read 2,404,963 times
Reputation: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
IQ testing has been rigorously checked for validity, showing a 95%+ reliability in scores.

There are always exceptions you can point out, but they come out very quickly. Usually dealing with language (taking the test in English it low competency) and vastly different cultural norms then presented in the test (living in the bush).

It is more based on genetic components, structure of the brain, experience, stimulation, drive and education then direct heritage. It is a bit difficult to get a clean statement if one is more active, and the affect on the model are shown in the link.

The other thing is no one who takes the test and gets an unsatisfactory score thinks it's valid. That's human nature.
I scored 156 and I never thought that was valid. Evidently, my only innate skill is an uncanny abillity to ace IQ tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: N. Ga
3,492 posts, read 3,098,523 times
Reputation: 1833
I've got a cousin... book smart... common sense... hasn't got enough to come in out of the rain... Not to mention there's different kinds of smart. My son for example is a math and science kind of kid. Literature and writing... not so much. His IQ test was very high, but if you want him to put his thoughts into words... forget it... So are the tests accurate.. ??? I don't know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM
 
4,043 posts, read 2,890,696 times
Reputation: 1948
Have the tests changed in accuracy over the years? If so or even probable, then were they better fifty years ago, or today? I've had discussions of this nature with others. No concensus was reached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,010,717 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
My son for example is a math and science kind of kid. Literature and writing... not so much. His IQ test was very high, but if you want him to put his thoughts into words... forget it... So are the tests accurate.. ??? I don't know...
Do you consider your son to be intelligent? Or, doubt it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top