Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Hon....and I mean that as an endearment, not disrespectfully. You are on the right track. The therapist has helped you and guided you in referring you to a support group.

I applaud you, and your sharing may help someone else. It sometimes takes years to get over the feelings when you have been emotionally abused.

I have heard that emotional abuse in some ways is worse than physical abuse, psychologically, because you can at least show people your bruises....emotional is internal only.

It took you a while to reach out, but you did. Pat yourself on the back, that is a strength.

You will find that each day you will get stronger. Practice affirmations daily, there are lots of good web pages full of positive affirmations. Here is just one Positive Affirmations and Positive Thinking to Manifest change

Surround yourself w/ others like you, healthy on the road to recovery type people. Sharing your story w/ others is a good part of healing. They say to tell your story 100 times.

So, share in your support group, you'll also gain some insights too....look for a support group that shows growth, not just members venting about the same things weekly.

Growth is a positive, you'll keep growing, and along the way sharing, others will also learn from you.

Don't look back, this is a very abusive man from what you are saying.

Some people are sick that way, and hurt people to make themselves feel better, it can be a sick cycle.

Thankfully you had strength to recognize that you needed help, and took the steps to get that help.

Thanks for sharing, and keep us posted.
I SO APPRECIATE the websites you left for me.

I have also read that emotional abuse is worse than physical. My friend gave me a book for support and it says the same thing.

I went to the therapist because NOTHING made sense anymore. I couldnt tell if it was me or him. Why was I so psychologically tortured? What was it? SOMETHING was not right. And she has validated all my thoughts. It still makes me so sick to my stomach but I know the future looks brighter. I am still young. I can find someone. Someone who loves me and will want to commit to me instead of keeping me strung along.

It is such a sick cycle. I had never felt so...like mentally losing control....I think I came so close to "losing it" and called my therapy after hours. They scheduled me for 9 am the next morning. Squeezed me in even though they were booked. I went there very upset and lost. Two months later, I am much better mentally and emotionally. I have accepted it happened to me and is not my fault.

I hope my story can help someone. Maybe it happened to me for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 11:56 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Holy carp! Good on you for getting out of all that, Theliberalvoice.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I'm glad youve figured things out, dear

The cancer lie thing has happened to two of my girlfriends, and it's devestating when you've found out that someone you cared for lied to you

I've had multiple friends and family members deal with cancer and I have a chronic medical condition where I'm in and out of the hospital fairly often... I had a guy try to pull the 'life ending illness' thing on me and called him out on it easily.

It's amazing to me how many people lie for sympathy and attention.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:54 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Anyone who would lie about having cancer is either pure evil or very mentally ill.

It's hard to get away from someone who is bad for you. I'm glad you did.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:58 PM

90 posts, read 131,511 times
If you are at all inclined to be open to affirmations, I'm going to enthusiastically suggest you read some of Louise Hay's books. I would start with You Can Heal You Life. It made a huge difference in my life.

There is no magic cure for healing the hurt and bewilderment you feel. You'll try some things and then some others...and when you have found a good fit, you'll naturally gravitate to more of the same. Give yourself a lot of understanding and nurturing. This isn't something you can "get over" quickly.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,544 times
At this point in the day? um someone is going to have to summarize the OP for me. Mentally asleep right now!

Old 03-04-2012, 02:46 PM

He has not contacted me in two days. I hope it stays this way.

It is still hard for me. I think about it all the time and try to make sense of it. I am listening to sad songs all the time.

I know I will be ok. I will be better off in the long run. It is just the feelings of "Why did this have to happen? Why would someone use cancer to manipulate another person?"

Feelings of feeling like a fool for being through this....

Old 03-06-2012, 12:26 AM

Sorry to bump this up again but today I found out that he is supposedly getting some sort of operation on Wednesday.

And now I feel friggin guilty in case he really does have cancer. It is so messed up. When I ask him for proof, he won't provide it but he is doing this operation and ****.

I realize he could be lying but now I am thinking about the guilt I will go through if he really drops dead in a few months like he says he will...

Anyone help please...?

I am going crazy.

Truly and deeply.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 AM

688 posts, read 897,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Sorry to bump this up again but today I found out that he is supposedly getting some sort of operation on Wednesday.

And now I feel friggin guilty in case he really does have cancer. It is so messed up. When I ask him for proof, he won't provide it but he is doing this operation and ****.

I realize he could be lying but now I am thinking about the guilt I will go through if he really drops dead in a few months like he says he will...

Anyone help please...?

I am going crazy.

Truly and deeply.
Seriously, don't feel guilty regardless of him having cancer or not. Having a disease doesn't give you the right-of-way to treat someone like crap.

Apparently he is not nearly mature enough to have a stable relationship. You made the right move. You can tolerate it for a certain time, but enough is enough. Don't play games with your emotions.

Btw, listen to happy music.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I'm confused. His actions scream "I don't care about you" yet you hold on to someone you haven't seen in months who lives minutes away and treats you badly when you speak on the phone.

At the risk of being rude why didn't you, some point, DRIVE OVER THERE? It's not that hard.

End it, stay in therapy. I think everyone involved here might need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology