U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the closest to an alpha female?
Type 1 6 27.27%
Type 2 10 45.45%
Type 3 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM

6,770 posts, read 7,498,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Again, wrong assessment. These women you guys are talking about are not real alpha females, they are manipulative bullies. Alphas don't need to resort to those behaviors to be naturally take-charge and strong in their presence. Alpha women who are legitimately so are also sweet and very, very loving and kind to those they care about.
hitler was nice to eva braun and his german shephard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 02:20 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Well what do you expect me to say? You are putting down strong women but patting strong men on the back. LMAO @ 'victim blamers.' What are you the victim of exactly?

You allowed some woman to walk all over you for whatever reason and that's your fault.

I used to let men insult me and talk to me rudely b/c I am generally quiet and whose fault was that? Mine. They shouldn't have been doing it, but if you let someone walk all over you it starts to be more your fault and less theirs.

apparently you're all know and all seeing too, since you decided that 'alpha females idea of sex is gaining promotions at work' and 'getting their way in life. As redvelet said you don't know the difference between a strong female and a female bully.
I think part of the problem is that they haven't met many/any really great women. Depending on their age, that might be part of the problem. It takes awhile for the right seasoning to manifest.
I think I might teach a class. Want to be a guest speaker? Love to have you Doll!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:28 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,589,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I think part of the problem is that they haven't met many/any really great women. Depending on their age, that might be part of the problem. It takes awhile for the right seasoning to manifest.
I think I might teach a class. Want to be a guest speaker? Love to have you Doll!

Ha. I do not like public speaking but I would attend. What are you going to teach? Manners? That being 'nice' doesn't mean being a doormat? Good luck, it's going to have to be a long session.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:47 PM

39,393 posts, read 14,447,057 times
Thread moved from Relationships to Psychology.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,153,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Do people ever say you are "intimidating" even when you aren't doing anything at all??
Sometimes. I've actually had people outright say "Until I got to know you better, I was scared *s-word*less of you" when they've worked with me at conventions. I keep asking what it is, but the answer is more or less always the same: "I don't know. You just seem like somebody I didn't want to **** off or disappoint".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
There are also what I call "loner alphas" - I have a friend, for example, who is very independent. She basically does whatever she wants, and people fall in behind her. She does not set out to be a leader or to start trends - it just happens. She truly is amazing, and her assertive personality means that people do take note when she speaks. She is widely respected, and her example is really what causes people to follow her.
This sounds like me, minus the amazing part. I'm more or less "average".

Now, I will say that I did one thing last year that scared a number of my staffers at a convention. Somebody was hitting the Ring button on our radios repeatedly. Seeing as how it is extremely loud and annoying in our ears, I got on my master radio and broadcasted "Attention everyone on this channel, if I find the person who is hitting the Ring button... pray." Button wasn't touched for the rest of the convention.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,611,755 times
I started a similar thread and it had 33 replies and it was moved to psycology but when I click on it it takes me to.someone eslse's thread.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,135,566 times
'Why Men Love B**ches' by Sherry Argov gives a clear idea about the alpha female.
Definitionof b***: Babe In Total Control of Herself

A woman who can master her emotions & keeps them in check. Its like going against nature & is really really difficult. She could be average looking but is a good dresser, earns her own money, is not needy or desperate for a relationship, treats her man with respect, has some standards & values. On the other hand, a really good looking woman with no standards or earning power or confidence can be easily treated as a doormat since its easy to push her buttons. Confidence is the key & a combination of different aspects of your life (beauty, job, education, etc.) that give you this confidence.

Unfortunately girls grow up with delicate princess role models (cinderella, snow white, etc.) who are waiting for a prince to come & take care of them. Boys are groomed to take charge with their action heroes (GI Joe, super heroes) as their role models. Not blaming the toys or fairytales entirely but there is some cultural conditioning at a very young age. First step is to 'un-learn' & start with a new mindset.

I think every woman can become an alpha female. Needs lot of work & maturity. Always keep working towards making yourself confident & powerful.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:57 AM

5,387 posts, read 6,271,740 times
TBH, I find neither the alpha female nor the alpha male personality to be very appealing or enticing Why? Because, when you come right down to it, being an alpha female or an alpha male is about unduly having and projecting power over others. It's always seemed to me to be more about coercion and intimidation and a "my way or the highway" sort of thing, rather than persuasion, conversational dialog, and coming to shared consensus and democracy. As far as I can tell, "alpha" anything is about power, pure and simple -- and I neither want nor need that kind of power over others.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 PM

6,770 posts, read 7,498,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
'Why Men Love B**ches' by Sherry Argov gives a clear idea about the alpha female.
Definitionof b***: Babe In Total Control of Herself

A woman who can master her emotions & keeps them in check. Its like going against nature & is really really difficult. She could be average looking but is a good dresser, earns her own money, is not needy or desperate for a relationship, treats her man with respect, has some standards & values. On the other hand, a really good looking woman with no standards or earning power or confidence can be easily treated as a doormat since its easy to push her buttons. Confidence is the key & a combination of different aspects of your life (beauty, job, education, etc.) that give you this confidence.

Unfortunately girls grow up with delicate princess role models (cinderella, snow white, etc.) who are waiting for a prince to come & take care of them. Boys are groomed to take charge with their action heroes (GI Joe, super heroes) as their role models. Not blaming the toys or fairytales entirely but there is some cultural conditioning at a very young age. First step is to 'un-learn' & start with a new mindset.

I think every woman can become an alpha female. Needs lot of work & maturity. Always keep working towards making yourself confident & powerful.

you make it sound like the alpha female is the ideal , some men much perfer the feminine marilyn type than the nut crunching queen of mean model

Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 PM

632 posts, read 630,364 times
I think the best example in modern times was Diana from "V" The original mini series in the 80's. Her character was inspired by Diana from mythology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or