U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the closest to an alpha female?
Type 1 6 27.27%
Type 2 10 45.45%
Type 3 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,672,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'd have to say none of the above. An Alpha female is...

d) ..a woman who has confidence and ability. She is confident because she lives up to her potential by being prepared for life. She is good at her job, whether that is rearing her children, keeping an organized home, or running a corporation.

I think I am one. I don't really try to run things, but usually people look to me to be in charge in most cases.
^^^^ You stole my post gentlearts!

I absolutely agree with this. I don't agree with any of the poll options.

In my opinion, an alpha female is NOT a bully. A loudmouth bully is simply that....a loudmouth bully. Loud mouthed bullies are fearful people. The are flooded with adrenaline at the THOUGHT of someone challenging or disagreeing with them...that's fear.

An alpha female is quite likely an A-type personality. She has confidence in her abilities and takes whatever she is doing seriously. She is not easily swayed by the opinions of others, because she has educated herself in whatever task she has undertaken. A true alpha (IMHO) does not always have to be right....everything is a learning experience and an opportunity to broaden their knowledge base.

An alpha female will not be bullied. She might shrug her shoulders and walk away from a situation...but it's generally with a half-smile on her face, knowing that the person she's walking away from...is an ass, and will end up looking the fool. In other words..."Okay, you don't HAVE to believe me. No skin off MY nose. Have a nice day."

Last edited by beachmel; 03-29-2012 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,210,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
An alpha female is quite likely an A-type personality. She has confidence in her abilities and takes whatever she is doing seriously. She is not easily swayed by the opinions of others, because she has educated herself in whatever task she has undertaken. A true alpha (IMHO) does not always have to be right....everything is a learning experience and an opportunity to broaden their knowledge base.

An alpha female will not be bullied. She might shrug her shoulders and walk away from a situation...but it's generally with a half-smile on her face, knowing that the person she's walking away...is an ass, and will end up looking the fool. In other words..."Okay, you don't HAVE to believe me. No skin off MY nose. Have a nice day."
That sounds like a healthy, together, normal woman. Normal in an ideal world, yes. Reality, probably not so much.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 AM

14,752 posts, read 27,546,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
When I think of an alpha woman that first woman that comes to mind is Hillary.
A thread for your liking. Hillary in 2008, right? I voted 2 but, could be 3. It's not 1.

This persona is epitomized by Gloria Allred. Somehow, she finds people to marry her.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM

9,415 posts, read 11,284,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
This poll would be much more fun if we voted on female forum members !
LOL, I agree.

I bet I would be up there as an alpha b*tch

Old 03-29-2012, 12:20 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,485,263 times
Stronger inside than a butch lesbian, yet still very attractive in a feminine way. One that assumes all risks and takes chances that could cost her with her life. In one such case, it did. The best female pilot that ever lived. Amelia Earhart. Today, Danica thinks nothing of hitting 200+ MPH in some races. Women like this are the true definition of an alpha female. They scare the hell out of men with something other than their mouth!

Danica Patrick Go Daddy Speeding Commercial - Internet only version! - YouTube

Slaughter - Fly To The Angels - YouTube

Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
A thread for your liking. Hillary in 2008, right? I voted 2 but, could be 3. It's not 1.

This persona is epitomized by Gloria Allred. Somehow, she finds people to marry her.
I'm not following.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
LOL, I agree.

I bet I would be up there as an alpha b*tch
I think we'll have to thumb wrestle for it.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,546,009 times
Quote:
I'm not following.
1. You were probably backing Hillary for the Dem presidential ticket in 2008. While not a political thread, your admiration is obvious.

2. Do you know who Gloria Allred is? Read first sentence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Allred

Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,485,263 times
Quote:
I think we'll have to thumb wrestle for it.
That's a good start! A female alpha is always a winner and a fighter too. Other women "step off" when she walks into the room. It's not because of being a big meanie either. They are scared of her and her presence. The same could be said about female LEOs. When she walks into the room..."oops, I'll be good", is the first thing to come to mind. BTW, Jamie Lee Curtis's character in the Halloween series was a good example of the same. "I'm not dying today..... not ever!"

Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,518,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What is your definition of an alpha female?

For instance;

Is it:

(a) A female who is physically attractive, a sign of fertility and health. For instance the hot but bitchy cheerleader, beauty Queen, sex symbol.

(b) An aggressive, sexually forward female who dominates the other females and some men. Not necessarily a tomboy, but can be, but can also be femme but loud and assertive.

(c) Someone who is simply egotistical/dominating. This articles suggests some one this:

Alpha female - AskMen Australia

Both can 'rule the roost' but in female-only circles, it seems the former dominates. I.e. the 'Queen bee.' Whereas in situations where there are males and females, I feel the latter would be more of the 'alpha female' type. I DO believe there are alpha females in humans (there are in most species, think dogs for instance).

Does the alpha female exist? - www.theage.com.au

This article gives a more generalised idea of an 'alpha female.'

By all means let me know your own idea of an 'alpha female' if you believe such exists.

But of the three crude models presented, which comes closest in your view?
None of the three. I associate the alpha quality in males and females, with leadership and competence, with a persuasive ability that does not come from bullying or dirty fighting. It comes more from an understanding of who you're dealing with and finding out the best way to gain a rapport with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or