U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the closest to an alpha female?
Type 1 6 27.27%
Type 2 10 45.45%
Type 3 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,426,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Descriptions and characteristics of alpha females, based on my own personal interactions with them thus far in my life:

(1) Can be somewhat indifferent, cold, uncompassionate, dismissive, and at times even cruel to those they believe are "lower" than them on the totem pole, regardless of whether their self-identified "lesser" peers are male or female.

(2) Domineering -- from what I've observed, alpha females have to "wear the pants" in any situation; for them there is no room for an egalitarian consensus of equal peers. Can be unwilling to compromise because they are relatively set in their ways, or always have to "have things done, their way".

(3) Type A personalities that can sometimes border on the narcissistic.

(4) Frequently lacking in the quality of humility, in particular. Confident in excess, many times to the point of outright arrogance.

I am generally not a fan of alpha females or their typically-described personality characteristics. Alpha females such as (as already mentioned by some of the posters in this thread, I believe) Hillary Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, and others. Not exactly known for their niceness, kindness, or gentleness, if you take my meaning. Margaret Thatcher was nicknamed "The Iron Lady" for a reason, mind you, and her sense of human compassion and kindness was *not* the reason, lol. To be fair though, I don't idolize alpha males either though -- I don't resent them and I am certainly not jealous of them either, but I most definitely do not seek to emulate the alpha male. I am perfectly happy and content to be non-alpha

Again, I am personally not a fan of alpha females (or alpha males, for that matter) -- give me a sweet, affectionate, gentle, and openly loving, warm and caring beta female any day, and I'll be happy!
Wow I'm one. And hope I'm not that bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 PM

6,950 posts, read 10,836,191 times
Alpha female to me is different from alpha male.

An alpha male is described as such mostly because he gets all the girls. Either a guy who is really good looking or has attitude and SWAG and is a ruthless bastard. Those guys get girls.

But men are attracted by different things.

The most successful females in my experience are not the best looking ones. Those really hot women will not be approached by a lot of men because they will be intimidated and sometimes those women have intimidating personalities to boot.

The most successful females to me are those who are pretty and in good shape but not strikingly hot with a fitness model body (think a 7 to most men, or even a 6). They are also accessible and generally friendly and kind (at least on an exterior level). Those women rack up. They have the average guys after them, the guys with nothing going on after them, and the good looking guys going after them too ... because every guy thinks he's got at least a shot. And she's still decent looking enough to attract the hot guys even if they might be able to do better.

From what I've seen, that is the alpha female.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,658,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Alpha female to me is different from alpha male.

An alpha male is described as such mostly because he gets all the girls. Either a guy who is really good looking or has attitude and SWAG and is a ruthless bastard. Those guys get girls.

But men are attracted by different things.

The most successful females in my experience are not the best looking ones. Those really hot women will not be approached by a lot of men because they will be intimidated and sometimes those women have intimidating personalities to boot.

The most successful females to me are those who are pretty and in good shape but not strikingly hot with a fitness model body (think a 7 to most men, or even a 6). They are also accessible and generally friendly and kind (at least on an exterior level). Those women rack up. They have the average guys after them, the guys with nothing going on after them, and the good looking guys going after them too ... because every guy thinks he's got at least a shot. And she's still decent looking enough to attract the hot guys even if they might be able to do better.

From what I've seen, that is the alpha female.
So you don't understand that the term "alpha" male/female is referring to mentality, rather than physicality? LOL

Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,658,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

Are you the go-to kind of gal who can "get-er-done", (whatever IT is)? Well, you're probably an alpha. Raena....sadly, I think our Knight friend has been scarred by some bullies, masquerading as alphas.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,484,667 times
Leo women are at least 99.9999998. Calm down little sister!
Female Lion roaring - www.timwheatley.org - YouTube

Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 PM

5,387 posts, read 6,268,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It's sad that you've had experiences with alphas who have those characteristics. I consider those to be characteristics of bullies. Many alphas do have those characteristics, but many do not. We get along fabulously my dear....and I am a definite alpha-A-type personality.
Thank you for your thoughtful comments and input, my very dear friend beachmel...and yes I admire and like you as a most special friend, very much! As it is, I didn't necessarily mean to imply that all alpha females were like I described in my earlier post, or that all alpha females are "bad"...I guess that has been my experience thus far, with the great and vast majority I happened to personally encountered is all...

Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 PM

6,950 posts, read 10,836,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
So you don't understand that the term "alpha" male/female is referring to mentality, rather than physicality? LOL
You can never take physical looks out of the equation when the topic is human socialization...

Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM

5,387 posts, read 6,268,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

I don't think you're "bad" at all, my friend Raena! From your posts here, you really seem like a great and very kind person. As I mentioned in my reply to beachmel, I didn't mean in my earlier post that all alpha females were bad.

Personally, I think that you and beachmel are definitely 2 alpha females that I really like and admire

Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 PM

23,916 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
She's the LAST person I think of as an Alpha, honestly. Not after the way she let Bill walk all over her, and make her a laughing stock with his affairs.
I'm not very fond of Hillary, politically. However, I have to say that her husband's antics did not affect her at all. Walk all over her? Nah. She was certainly no laughing stock - hell I think she came out of it better than going in.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 PM

13,823 posts, read 12,618,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
As one, here are my thoughts:

The poll was pretty limited.

There is a big difference in what most people think an alpha is and what one truly is. It does not imply a bully, a *****, an aggressor or an in-your-face type personality. At all!

A true alpha female is kind. She will have a strong physical presence, usually beautiful, but inside as well. She holds her place in the world well and with some elegance. She can mold herself to fit the role called for when needed. She focuses on being a good partner, mother, teacher, friend, daughter. She leaves her narcissism at the door to be a good role model for others.
You will see her in leadership positions, but you can also find her in the garden or making a roast for her husband.
Alpha females tend to draw attention form everyone, but will command the presence in a room. Men will be attracted to her in ways they may not be able to define. Women will be pulled to her cycle.
Overall, alpha females are rare. there are many women who would like to believe they are alpha, but if their egos are attached, they most likely are not.
What you are describing here, sounds more like a Leo woman ( according to astrology.)

Leo

However Leo is not a cardinal sign and desire to be a leading force ( i.e. to be "cardinal") is as necessary for Alpha-female as for Alpha-male.
So this is more likely the more fitting portrait of an Alpha-female;

Aries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or