U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the closest to an alpha female?
Type 1 6 27.27%
Type 2 10 45.45%
Type 3 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:07 PM

14,965 posts, read 13,545,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
It could happen with any sign, however, I think it is most common with Leos. They can be both very attractive as well as dominant...VERY dominant. It's enough to overpower other females in a room sometimes by simply walking in.
"Overpower" in what sense?
That all eyes need to be on them ( since they look so great) and everyone should be "all ears" because they ( Leos) are about to say something smart of funny?
Imagine this kind of qualities in a male. Does he come across then as an "alpha male?"
Don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,257,116 times
I've got your alpha female RIGHT HERE!

Old 04-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Not to go OT here or anything, but although I am actually an Aries, I certainly don't fit quite a huge bit of the description of an Aries in the link provided above!
And you probably shouldn't.
Imagine for a second that all those Aries (zillions of them out there) would all fit the same description.
Then Astrology wouldn't be a science ( at least a science that it used to be.)
Let me try to describe it as short as I can, what Astrology is all about; ( I looked into it looong time ago and found it rather interesting after what I've discovered.)

The minute we are born we all have unique horoscopes, based on where/what place/time we are born. At that particular moment all planets and constellations are lined up in a certain way, that defines your personality ( and according to astrologers) your future. Your "Sun sign" means just that - where the Sun was at time of your birth, in what particular sign ( Aries, Gemini, Taurus and what's not.)
This should define the core of your personality, but if you think about many other things that are present there, ( the Moon that signifies your emotional side, the Venus that symbolizes your likes/dislikes or your love life, the Jupiter that speaks for the area of your potential and the Saturn that will attest for your restrictions) - all of them influence your character in different ways. If you take in consideration, that at the particular moment when you are born those planets do not stay in their own "Houses" (as it's determined by Astrology,) whatever "House" they would get at that moment, will influence your personality yet again. For example if at the time when you were born your Venus ( symbol of Love) has got in the House of Traveling ( originally Sagittarius is responsible for this House,) you'll always love to travel, although your original sun sign might be Cancer and cancerians are supposed to be home buddies. Or if someone's Moon (god forbids) will get into the House of Leo, (who is responsible for "Love and Theater,") then a nice and usually easy-going Virgo girl might turn into unpredictable drama queen when it comes to the relations. Now if you'll think for a moment that on top of that, so-called "Ascendant" ( the sign that was rising on the horizon the minute you were born) might have a great influence on you, plus all those constellations and their juxtapositions for the time being ( and future) have their own meaning, it might give you an idea why you can't really resemble *the Aries* whose description you've just read.
Hope this helps somehow and it explains as well why in ancient times all those kings and pharaohs had their personal astrologers)))

Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM

5,207 posts, read 6,178,966 times
Too me the Alpha female is a powerful woman who hates men, kinda like Oprah & Tyra Banks. Two Alpha Females that always come to mind. Madonna comes to mind as well. They have to have that whole Queen of Hearts complex and deep hatred for men that most can not see with a naked eye.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Too me the Alpha female is a powerful woman who hates men, kinda like Oprah & Tyra Banks. Two Alpha Females that always come to mind. Madonna comes to mind as well. They have to have that whole Queen of Hearts complex and deep hatred for men that most can not see with a naked eye.
Hmmm..
You are probably right.
Because as "alpha females" they'd probably set their eyes on alpha-males and then it's always going to be a struggle for control and domination.
Makes sense.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
And Halle Berry can provide back up.
Berry is no Alpha....not after Monsters Ball...no way! an Alpha Female DID & Would have turned that role down.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Descriptions and characteristics of alpha females, based on my own personal interactions with them thus far in my life:

(1) Can be somewhat indifferent, cold, uncompassionate, dismissive, and at times even cruel to those they believe are "lower" than them on the totem pole, regardless of whether their self-identified "lesser" peers are male or female.

(2) Domineering -- from what I've observed, alpha females have to "wear the pants" in any situation; for them there is no room for an egalitarian consensus of equal peers. Can be unwilling to compromise because they are relatively set in their ways, or always have to "have things done, their way".

(3) Type A personalities that can sometimes border on the narcissistic.

(4) Frequently lacking in the quality of humility, in particular. Confident in excess, many times to the point of outright arrogance.

I am generally not a fan of alpha females or their typically-described personality characteristics. Alpha females such as (as already mentioned by some of the posters in this thread, I believe) Hillary Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, and others. Not exactly known for their niceness, kindness, or gentleness, if you take my meaning. Margaret Thatcher was nicknamed "The Iron Lady" for a reason, mind you, and her sense of human compassion and kindness was *not* the reason, lol. To be fair though, I don't idolize alpha males either though -- I don't resent them and I am certainly not jealous of them either, but I most definitely do not seek to emulate the alpha male. I am perfectly happy and content to be non-alpha

Again, I am personally not a fan of alpha females (or alpha males, for that matter) -- give me a sweet, affectionate, gentle, and openly loving, warm and caring beta female any day, and I'll be happy!
I agree with you on the alpha female thing I dont really like most of the ones I meet. There are ways to strike the alpha female without her knowing who hit her. Beta women are the best and make planet earth a better planet as well as raise the quality of life for everyone. The United States has too many Alpha Females that is why we are in the great condition we are in now.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Hmmm..
You are probably right.
Because as "alpha females" they'd probably set their eyes on alpha-males and then it's always going to be a struggle for control and domination.
Makes sense.
These Alpha Females are like spiders Alpha Males, Beta Males & Omega are all just servants to the Alpha Female....the word Alpha & Female in the same sentence is a very dangerous concept. Lets not confuse the term Alpha Female, with Good Woman, because they are NOT the same thing. Alpha Females dont seek Alpha Males. They only seek power any man that links with an Alpha Female is not an Alpha Man. An Alpha man would Never put himself in that position. Now a Beta Male with a lot of money or good looks is the perfect prey for the Alpha Female.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,832,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Nope, I consider it not letting anyone walk all over you. Husband, friend, parents, children, boss, Dr., etc...
I think there are loads of variables to render this not black and white. I can't know her situation, what she was thinking, what she had to gain and lose, but I will give credit here. She's a powerful woman that strategically managed/s her life. Her accomplishments provide evidence for this. If she felt that young woman and her husband would cost too much via divorce, then I figure she would act accordingly. I get the feeling that you are applying your situation onto hers, what would make you an alpha specifically, and that's probably not the most reasonable approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Berry is no Alpha....not after Monsters Ball...no way! an Alpha Female DID & Would have turned that role down.
She's a feminist. My comment about her to Robert was in reference to an older conversation from another thread. FIY.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:06 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,527,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Overpower" in what sense?
That all eyes need to be on them ( since they look so great) and everyone should be "all ears" because they ( Leos) are about to say something smart of funny?
Imagine this kind of qualities in a male. Does he come across then as an "alpha male?"
Don't think so.
Read this thread if you want to know what a alpha female is. Do men prefer model thin, or playboy buxom ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or