Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the closest to an alpha female?
Type 1 6 27.27%
Type 2 10 45.45%
Type 3 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There is a big difference in what most people think an alpha is and what one truly is. It does not imply a bully, a *****, an aggressor or an in-your-face type personality. At all!

A true alpha female is kind. She will have a strong physical presence, usually beautiful, but inside as well. She holds her place in the world well and with some elegance. She can mold herself to fit the role called for when needed. She focuses on being a good partner, mother, teacher, friend, daughter. She leaves her narcissism at the door to be a good role model for others.
You will see her in leadership positions, but you can also find her in the garden or making a roast for her husband.
Alpha females tend to draw attention form everyone, but will command the presence in a room. Men will be attracted to her in ways they may not be able to define. Women will be pulled to her cycle.
Overall, alpha females are rare. there are many women who would like to believe they are alpha, but if their egos are attached, they most likely are not.
You just described my mom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
But of the three crude models presented, which comes closest in your view?
None of the three. I can't explain it, but you'll know it when you see one of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
When I think of an alpha woman that first woman that comes to mind is Hillary.
She's the LAST person I think of as an Alpha, honestly. Not after the way she let Bill walk all over her, and make her a laughing stock with his affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Mud wrestling would be more fun
Jello is better honestly, and it's not as gross. Pudding is alright, but then you have a dairy based product in places it just should not go.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
She's the LAST person I think of as an Alpha, honestly. Not after the way she let Bill walk all over her, and make her a laughing stock with his affairs.
I find that to be gossip fodder for the masses. The woman has more power than all of us combined on this forum. She dealt with issues that arose in her life in ways that were appropriate for her. eta: And don't fall into the trap of defining her by her husband. She stands on her own. Her identity is not dependent on him nor would that be the case for any alpha female.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 03-29-2012 at 05:09 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
1. You were probably backing Hillary for the Dem presidential ticket in 2008. While not a political thread, your admiration is obvious.
Yes, I was. I was actually involved in a car accident the night of the primaries in MA. Some guy side swiped me and took off. I chased him down, caught him, and had the police on the horn during the pursuit. I almost got into trouble for that. But, I made it to the voting booth.

I do like Hillary. I read her autobiography some months prior. She has an impressive history. She was involved in politics at 12-13 years old. She's a focused, intelligent, and accomplished woman.

Quote:
2. Do you know who Gloria Allred is? Read first sentence.

Gloria Allred - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not familiar with her.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I find that to be gossip fodder for the masses. The woman has more power than all of us combined on this forum. She dealt with issues that arose in her life in ways that were appropriate for her. eta: And don't fall into the trap of defining her by her husband. She stands on her own. Her identity is not dependent on him nor would that be the case for any alpha female.

Naw, I am just going by what I saw.

Lemmie tell ya, if my hubby would have pulled that crap; there would be NO WAY I would ever "stand by my man" like she did.

Cheating, especially how and how much Billy boy did, would be grounds for a curb kickin'!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:

Lemmie tell ya, if my hubby would have pulled that crap; there would be NO WAY I would ever "stand by my man" like she did.

Cheating, especially how and how much Billy boy did, would be grounds for a curb kickin'!
Their marriage not typical. It is cemented by selfish personal interests and megalomania.

I got stuck in the snow once (not really, they closed the interstate at Redding CA before the northbound passes) and fortunately there was a B&N in town. On an end shelf, I found a book called "The Truth About Hillary." It made for a quick read. It paints a bad picture. She has always known, probably back to college days, and has "turned the other cheek."

Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
Descriptions and characteristics of alpha females, based on my own personal interactions with them thus far in my life:

(1) Can be somewhat indifferent, cold, uncompassionate, dismissive, and at times even cruel to those they believe are "lower" than them on the totem pole, regardless of whether their self-identified "lesser" peers are male or female.

(2) Domineering -- from what I've observed, alpha females have to "wear the pants" in any situation; for them there is no room for an egalitarian consensus of equal peers. Can be unwilling to compromise because they are relatively set in their ways, or always have to "have things done, their way".

(3) Type A personalities that can sometimes border on the narcissistic.

(4) Frequently lacking in the quality of humility, in particular. Confident in excess, many times to the point of outright arrogance.

I am generally not a fan of alpha females or their typically-described personality characteristics. Alpha females such as (as already mentioned by some of the posters in this thread, I believe) Hillary Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, and others. Not exactly known for their niceness, kindness, or gentleness, if you take my meaning. Margaret Thatcher was nicknamed "The Iron Lady" for a reason, mind you, and her sense of human compassion and kindness was *not* the reason, lol. To be fair though, I don't idolize alpha males either though -- I don't resent them and I am certainly not jealous of them either, but I most definitely do not seek to emulate the alpha male. I am perfectly happy and content to be non-alpha

Again, I am personally not a fan of alpha females (or alpha males, for that matter) -- give me a sweet, affectionate, gentle, and openly loving, warm and caring beta female any day, and I'll be happy!

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 03-29-2012 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Corrections / Edits

Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:

I hear you. What I'm saying is that her alphaness is independent of him. It's independent of her marriage. Her drive and accomplishments are independent of their screwy dynamic just as his accomplishments and drive are independent of her. Bill will never be measured or valued based on his marriage or his infidelity. When it washes out it will be about his policy and politics. It should be the same for her.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Descriptions and characteristics of alpha females, based on my own personal interactions with them thus far in my life:

(1) Can be somewhat indifferent, cold, uncompassionate, dismissive, and at times even cruel to those they believe are "lower" than them on the totem pole than them, regardless of whether their self-identified "lesser" peers are male or female.

(2) Domineering -- from what I've observed, alpha females have to "wear the pants" in any situation; for them there is no room for an egalitarian consensus of equal peers. Can be unwilling to compromise because they are relatively set in their ways, or always have to "have things done, their way".

(4) Frequently lacking in the quality of humility, in particular. Confident in excess, many times to the point of outright arrogance.

I am generally not a fan of alpha females or their typically-described personality characteristics.
Good job. These are the typical traits and people can be leaders without them. I knew some brash girls in college who you could tell where headed nowhere BUT law school, and others who were way more polished that were going to law school because they were brainy.

In a lot of cases, these types are disliked, especially if female. That's why the audience in the movie theater cheers when they get bumped off.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post

(1) Can be somewhat indifferent, cold, uncompassionate, dismissive, and at times even cruel to those they believe are "lower" than them on the totem pole, regardless of whether their self-identified "lesser" peers are male or female.

I am generally not a fan of alpha females or their typically-described personality characteristics. Alpha females such as (as already mentioned by some of the posters in this thread, I believe) Hillary Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, and others. Not exactly known for their niceness, kindness, or gentleness, if you take my meaning. Margaret Thatcher was nicknamed "The Iron Lady" for a reason, mind you, and her sense of human compassion and kindness was *not* the reason, lol. To be fair though, I don't idolize alpha males either though -- I don't resent them and I am certainly not jealous of them either, but I most definitely do not seek to emulate the alpha male. I am perfectly happy and content to be non-alpha

Again, I am personally not a fan of alpha females (or alpha males, for that matter) -- give me a sweet, affectionate, gentle, and openly loving, warm and caring beta female any day, and I'll be happy!
It's sad that you've had experiences with alphas who have those characteristics. I consider those to be characteristics of bullies. Many alphas do have those characteristics, but many do not. We get along fabulously my dear....and I am a definite alpha-A-type personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology