Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the closest to an alpha female?
Type 1 6 27.27%
Type 2 10 45.45%
Type 3 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 AM

152 posts, read 493,373 times

Advertisements

is an alpha female a woman who knows what she wants in a relationship? Is it someone who takes the reins in their career? in what context are you trying to define the term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
How exactly would you describe an Alpha Female. Does that work in her favor in most aspects or do you think that is a double edge sword? Do most women hate those types?
"alpha female" official definition:

(biology) the dominant female animal in a pack
(context, by extension) a self-assured and strong woman

Personally, I think women prosper better in all relationships (personal, professional, financial) when they accomplish a balance and are not too extreme in any behavior one way or the other.

Those who ARE extremists do have a tougher road to navigate and many roadblocks along the way.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
How exactly would you describe an Alpha Female. Does that work in her favor in most aspects or do you think that is a double edge sword? Do most women hate those types?
An Alpha Female is a woman who wants to be the head and take
the lead over every thing and also dominate over all others,
including friends, family, spouse, boyfriends, etc.

Most men do not like them ! ! !

Old 07-02-2012, 11:54 AM

152 posts, read 493,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
"alpha female" official definition:

(biology) the dominant female animal in a pack
(context, by extension) a self-assured and strong woman

Personally, I think women prosper better in all relationships (personal, professional, financial) when they accomplish a balance and are not too extreme in any behavior one way or the other.

Those who ARE extremists do have a tougher road to navigate and many roadblocks along the way.
I agree with this. When I was younger I used to be a people pleaser and a total pushover who never said no. When I go to college, my roommate said I should be able to stand my ground and say no if I didn't want to do something, so whenever we were in a situation like that she would force me to do what I wanted and not what others wanted. I learned that I can still be a very nice person, but stand my ground at the same time. I owe that roommate a lot because finding that balance has helped me a lot in life (I still struggle saying no sometimes, but definitely not as much as before)

Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post

Bill Clinton married one and we see how that went

Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
The conception of an alpha female so far is off.
Personally, I don't mind. The world is a better place because of it.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
I had an alpha female girlfriend once. I am pretty alpha male myself so we both clashed. We understand each other very well and we are still very close to this day. We just don't mesh well in a relationship.

She would be the type to control me in the relationship. She would want to have the cards to deal in the relationship. If it were up to her, I would probably have no say in what we did or who we hung out with. She was very controlling. In her professional life though, it comes in quite handy.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack421203 View Post
The alpha female has an uncanny ability to make men chase her. Her talent is very distinct from that of the "alpha male," a man whose aptitude for chasing women is finely tuned. But the alpha female's talents are special, and consequently, chasing her might be your biggest dating challenge yet.[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
I would not put up with one ! ! ! ...

Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:

Quote:
Agreed. Maybe some guys from the numerous "Be a bad boy or you will die alone and get no action" threads might like them. I aint drinking the Kool aid, That's for sure.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:40 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Meh. I've been called an "Alpha Female" numerous times. I just do what I do and try to do it to the best of my ability and not put up with bullcrap along the way. If I'm aiming for something, I'll get my mark one way or another - though I refrain from using under-handed techniques.

It's not like I try to be a dominant person. It's just that others just naturally submit to me. I can't figure it out; it just happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology