Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the closest to an alpha female?
Type 1 6 27.27%
Type 2 10 45.45%
Type 3 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,869,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
An Alpha Female is a woman who wants to be the head and take
the lead over every thing and also dominate over all others,
including friends, family, spouse, boyfriends, etc.

Most men do not like them ! ! !
Incredibly turned about by a powerful woman (personality wise). If she looks like she could play linebacker in the NFL, not so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Incredibly turned about by a powerful woman (personality wise). If she looks like she could play linebacker in the NFL, not so much...
Damn one outta two. Lol.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
Quote:

alpha males dont like them , alpha females perfer a lily livered pushover who they can push around , they dont care if he,s unnatractive as their idea of sex is gaining promotion at work or generally getting their way in life

Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
There are different types of alpha females. My cousin is very alpha in that she has a great deal of charisma that is backed by being a genuinely nice person - she married a man who is equally charismatic. Together, the two of them move crowds like cowboys herd cattle. It's fascinating to watch. She's the type that when she walks into a room, people immediately hark to her. She's pretty enough, but really the force of her personality and smile are what gather people in. Her husband tends to be more the type who can excite a crowd and infect them with enthusiasm. The two of them together are a really formidable combo. (And they have some spectacular fights with each other - but they kind of enjoy them.)

There are also what I call "loner alphas" - I have a friend, for example, who is very independent. She basically does whatever she wants, and people fall in behind her. She does not set out to be a leader or to start trends - it just happens. She truly is amazing, and her assertive personality means that people do take note when she speaks. She is widely respected, and her example is really what causes people to follow her.

There are also competitive and aggressive alpha females, but like alpha males of a similar nature I just classify them as bullies. Do you draw your power in a crowd from cowing the competition or from making them feel secure and empowered? That's really the question.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:05 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,727,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Meh. I've been called an "Alpha Female" numerous times. I just do what I do and try to do it to the best of my ability and not put up with bullcrap along the way. If I'm aiming for something, I'll get my mark one way or another - though I refrain from using under-handed techniques.

It's not like I try to be a dominant person. It's just that others just naturally submit to me. I can't figure it out; it just happens.

Do people ever say you are "intimidating" even when you aren't doing anything at all??

Old 07-02-2012, 02:07 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
How exactly would you describe an Alpha Female. Does that work in her favor in most aspects or do you think that is a double edge sword? Do most women hate those types?
There are TRUE alpha females and then there are women who like to say they are alpha, when in reality, they are mean, overbearing, b*tchy and will climb on you to get their way. Alphas can be strong and sure of themselves without having to resort to manipulation. That is the difference.

Alphas are directed, action-oriented, strong and self-assured, have a charismatic presence and will take care of the ones they love over the care of themselves.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Wrong. False alpha. This is a bully, not an alpha.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:10 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
There are TRUE alpha females and then there are women who like to say they are alpha, when in reality, they are mean, overbearing, b*tchy and will climb on you to get their way. Alphas can be strong and sure of themselves without having to resort to manipulation. That is the difference.

Alphas are directed, action-oriented, strong and self-assured, have a charismatic presence and will take care of the ones they love over the care of themselves.
******* are celebrated nowadays as strong women , no wonder workplace bullying is such an issue

Old 07-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
alpha males dont like them , alpha females perfer a lily livered pushover who they can push around , they dont care if he,s unnatractive as their idea of sex is gaining promotion at work or generally getting their way in life
Again, wrong assessment. These women you guys are talking about are not real alpha females, they are manipulative bullies. Alphas don't need to resort to those behaviors to be naturally take-charge and strong in their presence. Alpha women who are legitimately so are also sweet and very, very loving and kind to those they care about.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:15 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,727,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you made your point the first time , your all seeing and knowing

i dont engage with victim blamers , their unpleasant people

Well what do you expect me to say? You are putting down strong women but patting strong men on the back. LMAO @ 'victim blamers.' What are you the victim of exactly?

You allowed some woman to walk all over you for whatever reason and that's your fault.

I used to let men insult me and talk to me rudely b/c I am generally quiet and whose fault was that? Mine. They shouldn't have been doing it, but if you let someone walk all over you it starts to be more your fault and less theirs.

apparently you're all knowing and all seeing too, since you decided that 'alpha females idea of sex is gaining promotions at work' and 'getting their way in life.' As redvelvet said you don't know the difference between a strong female and a female bully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology