U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 PM

34,613 posts, read 42,779,610 times

Advertisements

Well, I took it and was in the 130's, and I know that I'm no genius, so I imagine it just depends on what day and what the questions are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM

5,122 posts, read 9,424,685 times
I don't believe your IQ is "Bad" but it might be a tiny bit "naughty." Maybe it should take a time-out...

Seriously though, tests are only tests and not to worry about the results from a single tests. Some folks are great test-takers, while others are not. Your IQ can fluctuate depending on what test you've taken, how you're feeling, the time of day and whether the test questions are skewed toward a certain group...

Me, I have great admiration toward people who can fix and build things and create things rather than someone who can quote Spinoza...give me a craftsperson, caprenter or artist! I'd choose beauty over dusty intellect...

Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,766,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
I took an IQ test and my score is 91.

Is it bad?
No. It's within the average range or one standard deviation of normal.

What would be probably more enlightening are the scores you received on the individual subtests.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:28 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
100 is the average IQ score. But you have to remember that IQ is more or less book smarts. Lots of people have other skills that don't show up on that test. Some have superior mechanical ability, others musical ability, and others. I wouldn't get your underwear in a bind over it. Its also dependent on what kind of education you had. You still are well within the average category, as is most of the population. Only 2% are genius;130+ and only 2% are considered mentally retarted 70 and below. My son's IQ is about what yours is. He's autistic, and has some real problems with in some learning categories and in communicating, but is still very smart, learns and retains many types of information better than anyone I know, even his brother who has a genius level IQ. So everyone is a mixed bag of abilities.
A autistic person will usually score lower than his actual capacity, because every IQ test depends on the ability of the subject to communicate his answers to the administrator of the test, and autistics often do not function well within the standardized lines of communication.

And no, an IQ test, ideally, strives to avoid "book smarts". However the one taken by the OP was probably largely a written test, which is the only efficient way 100 people can take the test and take up only one hour of an examiner's time. Most of it is still non-verbal, but nevertheless requires understanding written instruction in English.

It is a cop out to blow off IQ tests just because there are other skills and talents that they don't test. A great deal of effort has gone into creating tests that measure the ability of a person to learn an abstract concept quickly and apply it to a set of tasks. This is an indispensable skill, no matter what one is endeavoring to do.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,918,843 times
Totally agree with everyone. These online tests are not scientific. As Prairieparson said, people have all kinds of smarts. Some are well read and have no people skills. Some have street smarts, but have problems with school work. The IQ of someone with mild mental retardation is 70 and below. Mensa, your IQ has to be greater than 135. Ninety one is average. Still, I wouldn't read too much into these self-given IQ tests.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,092,673 times
Where could an adult take an accurate IQ test?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM

19,641 posts, read 53,545,549 times
Any psychologist can administer an IQ test.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM

7,032 posts, read 8,386,219 times
My IQ is 87 apparently and I have a bachelors degree (2:1 classification) so it is not bad at all. Most people who say they get over 110 etc.. are liars.

My friend who has two Oxford University degrees has an IQ of 80.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,451,230 times
I found normal IQ tests to be too easy so made up my own and got a B+ on it

Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 AM

23,616 posts, read 31,183,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A autistic person will usually score lower than his actual capacity, because every IQ test depends on the ability of the subject to communicate his answers to the administrator of the test, and autistics often do not function well within the standardized lines of communication.

And no, an IQ test, ideally, strives to avoid "book smarts". However the one taken by the OP was probably largely a written test, which is the only efficient way 100 people can take the test and take up only one hour of an examiner's time. Most of it is still non-verbal, but nevertheless requires understanding written instruction in English.

It is a cop out to blow off IQ tests just because there are other skills and talents that they don't test. A great deal of effort has gone into creating tests that measure the ability of a person to learn an abstract concept quickly and apply it to a set of tasks. This is an indispensable skill, no matter what one is endeavoring to do.
I have Asperger's and scored 148 on the Standford-Binet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or