U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 AM

72 posts, read 85,217 times

Advertisements

That's about average. Mine is 93.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM

221 posts, read 227,707 times
What sort of IQ tests were given to children in the late 70's-early 80's? Supposedly I got a 147 on one, and would be really curious if I'm still "smart" with a fresh test...providing this early test actually was worth something

Old 12-19-2012, 12:14 PM

921 posts, read 1,698,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
I took an IQ test and my score is 91.

Is it bad?
It depends. Bad for what? For a cabbage, it's miraculous. For a mathematician, it poses some problems. For a postal clerk, it poses different problems.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 PM

3,673 posts, read 2,482,456 times
I've never had my IQ tested but know it would be in the normal range and I'm content with that belief. In general the stupid decisions I've seen people make in life seem more the result of lack of common sense than of a lack of intelligence. I'm so happy to have been gifted with common sense!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM

283 posts, read 418,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's bad if you want to be an astrophysicist. It's outstanding if you want to be a farm hand. It's a bit low for the average college graduate, however there are many millionaires who never graduated college.

The IQ's significance is pretty subjective and can't really be described as "good" or "bad" without the appropriate context.

If it truly concerns you, you could ask whoever gave you the test. If you took it online, ignore it. It's about as meaningful as taking a "what type of personality do you have based on your shoe size" test.

Overly harsh, and also erroneous.

While a 91 score on a standardized IQ test--like the Stanford-Binet--is considered slightly below the average of 100, there is absolutely no reason to relegate one who attains that score to being confined to aspiring no higher than an unskilled laborer.
The validity and value of IQ tests have been questioned by educators and mental health professionals for years. Many still feel that they are culturally-biased. Others feel that true IQ is not even a measure of what you know, but how fast you can learn and excell at new skills.
I personally am a believer in the latter.
Some people test better than others. I don't feel that sitting down and markuing boxes on paper for an hour can accurately gauge an individual's intelligence.
And, I also question YOUR IQ after reading your unfair and obtuse assessment of the OP's prospects.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post

there is absolutely no reason to relegate one who attains that score to being confined to aspiring no higher than an unskilled laborer.

And, I also question YOUR IQ after reading your unfair and obtuse assessment of the OP's prospects.
That's not what she said (bolded). Her statement was fair and measured, encouraging, even.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM

283 posts, read 418,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's not what she said (bolded). Her statement was fair and measured, encouraging, even.

She called his score "outstanding for a farm hand."

This is an unskilled labor position.

I simply felt it was a bit rude and presumptuous. That's all.

IQ tests are so very limited. Measuring as person's innate intelligence and ability to learn and adapt (true IQ IMHO) is tantamount to trying to rebuild your car engine with a screwdriver.

Lastly: no sour grapes here insofar as my opinion on the inaccuracy of IQ tests.

I scored a 145 when I took the Stanford-Binet when I was 16.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 PM

4,187 posts, read 4,212,558 times
IQ tests, and indeed, ANY standardized test, merely measure how good you are at taking them, nothing more and nothing less.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 480 times
I am 14 years old and I just took an IQ test and it says my IQ is 43.2 is that bad

Old 03-01-2016, 01:13 PM

3,293 posts, read 1,729,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
I took an IQ test and my score is 91.

Is it bad?
As others have mentioned, an important consideration is what type of test it was. If it was online, it is meaningless. If it was an actual IQ test or something equivalent, then you must remember that a 91 is no lower than a 109 is high. A 109 is a pretty good score, but it's not exactly noteworthy. Similarly, a 91 is a bit below average, but it is still a very normal score. There are millions and millions of people walking around with a 91 or lower, and many of them have done quite well in life. It is nothing that will hinder you from doing anything that most people aspire to do. If you want to win a Nobel Prize, it may be a hurdle. The good news is that just about everyone has a major hurdle if such lofty goals are on their horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, I took it and was in the 130's, and I know that I'm no genius, so I imagine it just depends on what day and what the questions are.
You took what? A professionally-administered IQ test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
Totally agree with everyone. These online tests are not scientific. As Prairieparson said, people have all kinds of smarts. Some are well read and have no people skills. Some have street smarts, but have problems with school work. The IQ of someone with mild mental retardation is 70 and below. Mensa, your IQ has to be greater than 135. Ninety one is average. Still, I wouldn't read too much into these self-given IQ tests.
Why are you assuming it was an online test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have Asperger's and scored 148 on the Standford-Binet.
To be fair, the poster you were responding to said autistic people will usually score below their capacity. He or she didn't say all autistic people score low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post

While a 91 score on a standardized IQ test--like the Stanford-Binet--is considered slightly below the average of 100, there is absolutely no reason to relegate one who attains that score to being confined to aspiring no higher than an unskilled laborer.
The validity and value of IQ tests have been questioned by educators and mental health professionals for years. Many still feel that they are culturally-biased. Others feel that true IQ is not even a measure of what you know, but how fast you can learn and excell at new skills.
I personally am a believer in the latter.
Some people test better than others. I don't feel that sitting down and markuing boxes on paper for an hour can accurately gauge an individual's intelligence.
I think you misinterpreted the post you were responding to. 91 is a great score for a farmhand. So is a 183. That is not the same thing as saying a person with a 91 can only be a manual laborer. In fact, the post you were responding to went on to say that many millionaires have a similar IQ. Nowhere in that post was there the implication that a person with a 91 is relegated to unskilled labor.

Of course IQ tests aren't a measure of what you know. That isn't their purpose. They're a measure of intelligence, and they do that quite well.

I think you should lay off the personal attacks, such as the one you included at the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or