Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:30 PM

652 posts, read 874,190 times

Advertisements

It has helped a lot of people with severe emotional trauma heal. It definately enhances their spiritual development under the correct environmental conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 07:26 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
I never cared for the peer pressure trials as a youngter. I also never liked to get "stoned". It just wasn't me.

I ~did~ find that minute amounts gave me a better feeling. Just a nose hit or two and I got that relaxed feeling. If I did too much and experienced negative reactions, I simply told myself, that the body is reacting physiologically. I have always found I could sit outside and be with mother nature as the best way for me.

I pray, meditate, and just "be".

Everyone is diferent. Everyone will not like it. And that is the way it should be. It is not evil or bad. It is simply there for those who enjoy it in their own way.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:53 AM

19,715 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

Yes, really. Sorry, but when someone uses the word "awesome", it usually means that they are too young to appreciate the wisdom of someone older, too shallow to understand what it means to be "one of few", and too self-centered to truly understand how intrinsic values do enhance one's life far beyond the effect of any drug. No offense intended.

If you like it, be content with what it does for you. Very insulting for you to suggest that your preference overrides mine.
Uh, I believe I was the one who used the word "awesome".

Thanks for the personal evaluation you fumbled towards in assumption to my character though!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:41 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Yeah, why take marijuana when you can just pop those pharmacy pills will all kinds of side effects.

To tell the truth, I tried marijuana, it didn't do too much to me. Maybe it calmed me a bit. I think marijuana gets a bad rap (especially here it seems).

Let's say this, I've seen people on marijuana, and I've seen people who are on crap like Paxil. I think I prefer the stoned over the drugged zombie.

That said. I don't need marijuana to change my perspective. People think I'm stoned to begin with when they talk to me. I have so many perspective that you'd think that I had an internal Direct TV service or something.

While I don't see marijuana as the worst substance on the planet (you'd be a fool to believe that), I also don't think it is the holy grail. But if I had to take something, light it up and pass it baby. (I respect all sides to this debate, but I side with the "stoners."

Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Most of the prescription drugs out there are worse and more harmful than marijuana. In reality, the only way that marijuana could kill you is if five tons of the stuff fell on your head. I've been on Paxil and let me tell you, the effects were far worse and trying to quit that awful drug took me months as the withdrawal was simply awful.

With that being said, I am under no illusion that marijuana isn't exactly safe. If overused, it can rob people of any kind of drive or ehrhusiasim to do anything but sit on the couch smoking all day. My ex wife was a classic habitual pot smoker who could not function without smoking all hours of the day, even in the morning before going to work. She spent hundreds of dollars a month on her pot habit and I am still paying for the debts caused by it.

It is certainly not a harmless substance and based on what I've seen, I'm not sure if I'd support full legalisation. I've smoked it in the past and it just made me paranoid and anxious more than anything...not my cup of tea.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I tried marijuana a few times and got these nasty rashes on my legs each time.. needless to say, no more.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have a friend that has smoked for years. She tells me she needs it to feel creative and process deep thinking. She says she gets great ideas when she smokes. It helps her analyze the bigger picture and provide direction.

Here's the thing, I can always tell when she is high either when she calls me on the phone or emails me. She is scattered brained and her thoughts are a mess. I read her emails and after the first two sentences, its like ahh ok, she must have been high when she wrote this. In her mind, her conversations are crystal clear. All those big plans she thinks about never come to fruition. I have known her for over 20 yrs and its the same thing over and over. She is going to start her own business, she is going to write a novel, etc etc. Personally I think when she comes down, reality kicks in, she doesn't like it and smokes again to dream about what she would like to do.
Very. good. post. This has been my experience with a lot of regular pot smokers. THEY think they are so lucid when in reality, they are not at all but, try and convince them of that. They are so in denial.

Most long time pot smokers that I have encountered, if they continue, are always kind of stoned seeming and not really sharp.

Funny thing, though, I have seen alcoholics that seem to function on a job, sober or semi drunk. I am not condoning alcohol as it has destroyed parts of my family and continues to do so. There just seems to be a difference and I don't know why.

I am 70 yrs old and I tried pot around 40 or so and I loved it. In fact, with my addictive personality, I realized I loved it too much and I didn't need to drag around another habit, along with a few others such as smoking cigs and drinking too much sometimes. So, I reluctantly, after a few times, left that scene for good and I am so glad....lol. Actually, I eventually left the cigarettes and the boozing several years ago. Life became much clearer though not always pleasantly so....<s> I figured out that I didn't have enough brain cells to really manage all these things and survive in the manner I wanted to.....

Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
I smoked a bit in my teenage years, and I didn't like it as much. I was always a bit over wound, and the effects of it bringing me down tended to make me a bit paranoid. As I've gotten older I'm still a bit high strung, but at 40 it really and truly has a calming effect on me. And the older you get, the more stress isn't good for you. It also gives me a different perspective on things, and makes music sound better. Having said that, I won't partake in any intoxicating substance while at work, when I have errands to run, or any other obligations that need my attention. Nope... just me time...

Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
I think I get what the OP was talking about. It seems like it enhances things for most people, taste, smell, sound, and even your own thoughts and feelings. The OP is on Paxil to begin with, and smoking made these suppressed feelings come more alive.

It may be a good way to see what truly lies beneath and bothers you, which you sweep under the rug in your daily activities. You can fight these thoughts and feelings while you smoke by reassuring yourself that everything will be fine, but as for it carrying over to your regular day to day activities, I'm not all that sure. Use it to make yourself aware, make sure you remember how you felt, and then tackle the obstacles in daily life when not high would be my suggestion.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I think I get what the OP was talking about. It seems like it enhances things for most people, taste, smell, sound, and even your own thoughts and feelings. The OP is on Paxil to begin with, and smoking made these suppressed feelings come more alive.

It may be a good way to see what truly lies beneath and bothers you, which you sweep under the rug in your daily activities. You can fight these thoughts and feelings while you smoke by reassuring yourself that everything will be fine, but as for it carrying over to your regular day to day activities, I'm not all that sure. Use it to make yourself aware, make sure you remember how you felt, and then tackle the obstacles in daily life when not high would be my suggestion.

That isn't bad advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology