Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 PM

47 posts, read 67,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
I think someone should look into the psychology of the uptight people who don't smoke.

I have, I used some of my own family or friends for this very purpose

I think they just look goofy with fat eyelids. They look goofy while stoned, cause, their personality is still trying to act "sober" while they look completely baked, and they just cannot fathom "lettin go" and being a goofball.

Last edited by IwalkLikeArabbit; 05-31-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwalkLikeArabbit View Post
I have, I used some of my own family or friends for this very purpose

I think they just look goofy with fat eyelids. They look goofy while stoned, cause, their personality is still trying to act "sober" while they look completely baked, and they just cannot fathom "lettin go" and being a goofball.

For me it's not so much being a goofball, (though that is great if you're in good company!) but definitely letting go. Sometimes I get more out of it solo, as it allows me for more intense meditation, reflection and prayer.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Never tried it

I have never tried weed, never had a curiosity to try it, never had an urge to try it, and I'm quite sure that it can do nothing but make me "one of many."

I prefer to be "one of few." The effect of never having tried it has enormous intrinsic value for me.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I have never tried weed, never had a curiosity to try it, never had an urge to try it, and I'm quite sure that it can do nothing but make me "one of many."

I prefer to be "one of few." The effect of never having tried it has enormous intrinsic value for me.
Not really, you are just missing out. Do you remember the feeling you had when you first tasted chocolate? Was it something to the effect of "Where have you been all my life?" Imagine that, but more awesome.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:34 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
A harvest party is so SO much more fun and peaceful than a keg party!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:35 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
What is marijuana's effect on you?

I have a theory to go along with what its effect on me is. I'll start by saying that I didn't try it until I was 19, almost 20. Prior to that, I had no interest in drugs, although I did have friends who smoked marijuana. What changed my direction in that regard was going on Paxil, an anti-depressant medication specifically for social anxiety. Paxil was my gateway drug. If anybody remember's the anti-depressant TV commercial with the little bouncy people bouncing together in a circle, with one outside that circle by itself and then after it starts taking the medication it joins the circle. Well, that's exactly what happened to me. After I began taking Paxil, I found myself joining in activities I didn't before, and that including trying marijuana. It was all good for a while, a typical phase, and then I found alcohol. I liked alcohol better. I then began hanging with different friends and drinking. I abused alcohol for a long time, and pretty bad. Anyway, so eventually I noticed that when I would smoke marjuana, it was making me paranoid and very nervous.

So here's my theory. I think that because I went hard with a drug (alcohol) that numbed me and sort of detached me from myself and abused it so frequently for so long that it sort of had a therapeutic effect on me, leaving me a bit numb (depressed) and detached or less in touch with myself than I was before I had ever began drinking. I think marijuana originally and always has had the same effect on me and that is that it plants my feet firmly on the ground and puts me very much in touch with myself and enhances my senses. So I think because of the long-term effect alcohol abuse has had on me, when I smoke marijuana it does what it always did and because I've been "detached" from myself so long, I get overwhelmed which is why I get paranoid and so nervous. It's like "whoa, I'm here!". If I'm right, then smoking marijuana and working through that would therapeutically bring me back to a better place, which is to say more in touch with myself.

Does this make sense? Can anybody relate?
Since I started this thread, I'll go ahead and say that I experimented this past Friday night. The high made me paranoid and quiet, which I immediately recognized. It made me less confident and sure of myself. It was quite a contrast going from completely clean and sober to high. Marijuana's high probably does have a therapeutic effect, but I'm not sure it's a positive one. While I recognized the paranoid thoughts for what they were and believe they may have to do with the company I was in, I don't like the idea of getting lost in or confused by said thoughts. I think I'm doing just fine and have been going in the right direction and growing as a person on my own. I think what the high really does is just make me lazy and lowers my standards. My brother smokes - a lot and frequently. Actually, it's a problem in his life and holds him back. Not just my brother, but my immediate family is a bit troubled and if my use of "putting my feet on the ground" in any way means to fit in better with them, I don't think that's the right direction for me. Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm very different from my family. (They are very uneducated, unsophisticated, neurotic, argumentive, and just kind of nutso - all strikingly so - and in a way it's difficult not to be absorbed in. Hardcore working-class, I guess.) This past visit with them, I think I've figured that out once again and where our similarities severe, which I had known prior to ever using drugs or alcohol in the first place. The drugs and alcohol had clouded my mind. I'm thankful that's gone and continues to go away. All that said, I think I will continue to maintain my independence from my family, visit them in moderate doses I can tolerate, and put the idea that marijuana may help me to rest. There's nothing quite like dealing with your problems and working on becoming a better person on your own, through practice, without the aid of drugs. Not to mention, smoking brought on and exacerbated a HORRIBLE sinus headache.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Not really, you are just missing out. Do you remember the feeling you had when you first tasted chocolate? Was it something to the effect of "Where have you been all my life?" Imagine that, but more awesome.
Yes, really. Sorry, but when someone uses the word "awesome", it usually means that they are too young to appreciate the wisdom of someone older, too shallow to understand what it means to be "one of few", and too self-centered to truly understand how intrinsic values do enhance one's life far beyond the effect of any drug. No offense intended.

If you like it, be content with what it does for you. Very insulting for you to suggest that your preference overrides mine.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
I'm glad I found this thread, I've been curious about this subject for a while... I haven't read all the responses yet but I will bookmark this for later.

My experience seems atypical. In college I would smoke mainly because others around me did. Everyone seemed relaxed and more laid back. For me, AT BEST it makes me anxious, paranoid, I start over thinking things. A simple look or a sentence will set into motion a bunch of made-up scenarios, worries, fears. It makes me feel hollow and I start realizing the "pointlessness" of everyday life. Not in a suicidal way, mind you, but it kinda makes me see things in a different light and the foolishness of human beings is magnified for me. I start thinking very philosophically, but in a negative way. I hate the feeling and usually end up going to bed to sleep it off. I don't think I've ever had a good experience with it. I feel hazy and unreal for a day or so afterwards.

At worst, I feel like I did DMT or something (never tried it, but I've seen enough documentaries on it to have an idea). It's like I can't even function properly because I'm mentally in some other universe. To anyone else I would "seem" pretty normal, but in my head things get really crazy and psychedelic

Old 07-13-2012, 12:46 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
If you are intellectually mediocre or worse, have standard American dreams of an upper middle class life and generally don't require creativity in your day-to-day aspirations, I recommend sobriety coupled with small bouts caffeine.

The rest of us benefit from the occasional perspective-changer.

A substance that allows one to be happy in the moment while calming the materialistic impulse is not to be confused with a substance that makes one satisfied with a mediocre life. That confusion is the result of a weak values system, commonly found in Americans who seek nothing in this world but validation toys.

My view is that if pot was a strong enough drug to completely curb your impulse for self-improvement, kill yourself. Seriously. Life gets wayyyy harder than overcoming the "chill" of the most mild of intoxicants. If you can't handle pot, you likely can't handle much.
Have you ever thought that some people just have different brain chemistry and literally CAN'T handle marijuana? It has nothing to do with whether they can handle day-to-day life, some people just function better with a clean system. I am highly sensitive to just about everything - caffeine, skin irritants, light, noise, alcohol, and yes, marijuana. I can respect someone's ability/desire to smoke day in and day out if they want to, but respect that for some people, it is just NOT appealing. It does not affect everyone the same way.

Let me add that I am a creative, nontypical person and I definitely don't have "upper middle class" dreams.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 PM

416 posts, read 630,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Yes, really. Sorry, but when someone uses the word "awesome", it usually means that they are too young to appreciate the wisdom of someone older, too shallow to understand what it means to be "one of few", and too self-centered to truly understand how intrinsic values do enhance one's life far beyond the effect of any drug. No offense intended.

If you like it, be content with what it does for you. Very insulting for you to suggest that your preference overrides mine.
It wouldn't be a preference, silly, it's an experience. Someone who never experiences something is missing out on the experience, whether good or bad. Seriously, remove the stick from your butt, your response was inappropriate.

And for the record, I've never tried weed either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology