U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,203,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have a friend that has smoked for years. She tells me she needs it to feel creative and process deep thinking. She says she gets great ideas when she smokes. It helps her analyze the bigger picture and provide direction.

Here's the thing, I can always tell when she is high either when she calls me on the phone or emails me. She is scattered brained and her thoughts are a mess. I read her emails and after the first two sentences, its like ahh ok, she must have been high when she wrote this. In her mind, her conversations are crystal clear. All those big plans she thinks about never come to fruition. I have known her for over 20 yrs and its the same thing over and over. She is going to start her own business, she is going to write a novel, etc etc. Personally I think when she comes down, reality kicks in, she doesn't like it and smokes again to dream about what she would like to do.
That doesn't sound good. Isn't one of the dangers of marijuana that it can thrust somebody into permament detachment from reality (psychosis)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,203,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
There is a great book on the subject called "Detoxing" - it's a big, black paperback - you can get it at Amazon.

There are many, many things you can do but the first thing I would suggest is eating an organic diet - fresh foods - whole foods - think about the food and where it comes from - how fresh it is . . . drink lots of water, drink herbal teas, etc.

Also review anything you put on your body (soaps, shampoos, lotions) - there are a lot of what I think are harmful additives in stuff - almost anything multisyllabic, I would eliminate.

Try to use natural cleaning solutions (Mrs. Myers is a a good brand and there are lots of others) . . .

Just think "clean," basically.
I'm not sure why you are suggesting this for me. It sounds like you're a bit confused. I eat in a balanced and healthy way that is right for me. I'm happy with my balance, though I can always improve upon what I already do, and I have been. I'm just not a nut who tries to change everything at once, advertise it as part of my identity and personality, or goes to unnecessary extremes.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,403,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
That doesn't sound good. Isn't one of the dangers of marijuana that it can thrust somebody into permament detachment from reality (psychosis)?
It definitely can. It can really be detrimental to someone who is(or could be prone to develop) schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. It's best to confront our reality head on and learn coping mechanisms, while in a reality based setting(not under the influence...escaping reality); so we know what is truly inhibiting our progressions and not what a "chemical" reality is relaying to us.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM

44,611 posts, read 43,144,135 times
I have tried marijuana once. I did it the day I turned 24 years old(I'm 26 now). My friend gave it to me. I didn't know how to smoke it. He had to teach me.

When I smoked it, I felt like it was going to my head. It felt kind of good to be honest. I wasn't trying to, but this cheesy, yet relaxed smile came upon my face. I was smiling and was feeling good. I felt happy and relaxed, as opposed to my normal feelings of serious and uptight. I felt laid back, calm, and focused. At the same time, my stomach hurt. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I just wanted to sit there. I went to sleep early that day. The next morning I felt very focused and "normal". I felt like I was thinking deeper than ever.

However, with those feelings, I also felt like I wasn't in control of myself. I felt like I was outside of myself, like I was being controlled by something else, like I was losing it.

Doing drugs is not a normal activity for me, and I don't want it to be like that. It might have felt good that one time to be high. On the other hand, it isn't me. That is why I don't do drugs. It isn't being addicted to marijuana that I'm worried about. It just isn't me.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,021,596 times
Awesome

Old 05-23-2012, 07:59 PM

12,445 posts, read 14,574,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokan View Post
that doesn't sound good. Isn't one of the dangers of marijuana that it can thrust somebody into permament detachment from reality (psychosis)?
Where'd you hear something crazy like that?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 PM

12,445 posts, read 14,574,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
It definitely can. It can really be detrimental to someone who is(or could be prone to develop) schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. It's best to confront our reality head on and learn coping mechanisms, while in a reality based setting(not under the influence...escaping reality); so we know what is truly inhibiting our progressions and not what a "chemical" reality is relaying to us.
Actually it can be very calming to someone with a mental illness.....marijuana, by the way, is NOT a chemical....you'd be more under the "influence" if you had a beer than you would be if you smoked a joint....

Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

When I smoked it, I felt like it was going to my head. It felt kind of good to be honest. I wasn't trying to, but this cheesy, yet relaxed smile came upon my face. I was smiling and was feeling good. I felt happy and relaxed, as opposed to my normal feelings of serious and uptight. I felt laid back, calm, and focused. At the same time, my stomach hurt. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I just wanted to sit there. I went to sleep early that day. The next morning I felt very focused and "normal". I felt like I was thinking deeper than ever.

However, with those feelings, I also felt like I wasn't in control of myself. I felt like I was outside of myself, like I was being controlled by something else, like I was losing it.

Doing drugs is not a normal activity for me, and I don't want it to be like that. It might have felt good that one time to be high. On the other hand, it isn't me. That is why I don't do drugs. It isn't being addicted to marijuana that I'm worried about. It just isn't me.

Well, you got that first paragraph right.

I know alot of people who claim to have only smoked once, and didn't like it.

Most people can't wrap their mind around what's happening that first time, so it freaks them out from ever trying it again.

It's not for everyone...So you're not alone and there's nothing wrong with that.

But quite honestly, imo it's one of the most relaxing feelings in the world. It won't solve your problems, but it will shift your mind's focus temporarily so you don't overload on stress. It also helps relieve physical pain, which is a huge benefit for me as well.

I've been smoking over 15yrs (not straight, off and on) so I have a pretty firm grasp on my own mentality and the way it affects me.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,403,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Actually it can be very calming to someone with a mental illness.....marijuana, by the way, is NOT a chemical....you'd be more under the "influence" if you had a beer than you would be if you smoked a joint....
THC is not a chemical? You need to research a bit before you comment on marijuana not being a chemical. There are over 400 different chemicals found in marijuana, but only 61 of them are unique to cannabis. They are called cannabinoids. Also, there are 50 to 70% more carcinogenic hydrocarbons found in marijuana smoke than tobacco smoke....and since, it is held in longer, the chances for lung cancer are ever prevalent. You're definitely not "more under the influence" drinking a single beer, then you are smoking a joint(unless what you were smoking wasn't weed). I'm not dogging your drug of choice...but it's a drug nonetheless.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
THC is not a chemical? You need to research a bit before you comment on marijuana not being a chemical. There are over 400 different chemicals found in marijuana, but only 61 of them are unique to cannabis. They are called cannabinoids. Also, there are 50 to 70% more carcinogenic hydrocarbons found in marijuana smoke than tobacco smoke....and since, it is held in longer, the chances for lung cancer are ever prevalent. You're definitely not "more under the influence" drinking a single beer, then you are smoking a joint(unless what you were smoking wasn't weed). I'm not dogging your drug of choice...but it's a drug nonetheless.

Yeah one beer definitely won't give me a buzz, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or