U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,027,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
That doesn't sound good. Isn't one of the dangers of marijuana that it can thrust somebody into permament detachment from reality (psychosis)?
I don't think marijuana would do that, I mean, unless you were REALLY trying to...lol

Definitely not so much as something like LSD, or crack, cocaine, or meth, those are really dirty drugs that will f--- your brain up... bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM

44,665 posts, read 43,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Well, you got that first paragraph right.

I know alot of people who claim to have only smoked once, and didn't like it.

Most people can't wrap their mind around what's happening that first time, so it freaks them out from ever trying it again.

It's not for everyone...So you're not alone and there's nothing wrong with that.

But quite honestly, imo it's one of the most relaxing feelings in the world. It won't solve your problems, but it will shift your mind's focus temporarily so you don't overload on stress. It also helps relieve physical pain, which is a huge benefit for me as well.

I've been smoking over 15yrs (not straight, off and on) so I have a pretty firm grasp on my own mentality and the way it affects me.
I did like it the first time I tried. However, I was under the influence. I've been drunk before, and it feels much more sloppy than being high. As relaxing as it is to get high, it wasn't my real mind. I wasn't in my right mind. Other things that has stopped me from smoking pot ever again is the feeling of how much stigma there is to it. I don't view people who smoke pot as bad people. I just don't feel in my heart I could do it, at least in recreational use.

I was kind of coached through smoking my first joint. I heard that marijuana gives people the munchies. I have heard stuff about people tripping out on marijuana. I didn't trip out. I didn't get the munchies either. I just felt relaxed, deep, and collected. I expected to trip out and munch out. I did neither. I could handle it. I don't need to be depending on it. Being illegal, jail scares me alot.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,403,549 times
Quote:
I don't think marijuana would do that, I mean, unless you were REALLY trying to...lol

Definitely not so much as something like LSD, or crack, cocaine, or meth, those are really dirty drugs that will f--- your brain up... bad.
The harder drugs are definitely a no-no, no matter where, the person's mental stability lays. The thing about marijuana and the reason I say, "know thy self", is that if you have a history or immediate family history of mental illness and/or addiction(the two being closely aligned in many instance i.e.self medicating)....why chance it? If you've had a rough day hit a punching bag, take a jog/walk, listen to calming music, scream or just cry until you feel better. I've seen mental illness/drug addictions destroy, too many, really good peoples' lives. Very intelligent folks who were just trying to find a way to cope and got lost inside the brutality of these equal opportunity illnesses.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,027,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I did like it the first time I tried. However, I was under the influence. I've been drunk before, and it feels much more sloppy than being high. As relaxing as it is to get high, it wasn't my real mind. I wasn't in my right mind. Other things that has stopped me from smoking pot ever again is the feeling of how much stigma there is to it. I don't view people who smoke pot as bad people. I just don't feel in my heart I could do it, at least in recreational use.

I was kind of coached through smoking my first joint. I heard that marijuana gives people the munchies. I have heard stuff about people tripping out on marijuana. I didn't trip out. I didn't get the munchies either. I just felt relaxed, deep, and collected. I expected to trip out and munch out. I did neither. I could handle it. I don't need to be depending on it. Being illegal, jail scares me alot.
Like I said, it's not for everyone and that's perfectly fine.

But let me ask you this, what is a real mind really like?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 PM

44,665 posts, read 43,174,514 times
Quote:
Like I said, it's not for everyone and that's perfectly fine.

But let me ask you this, what is a real mind really like?
I know what A mind is like. However, I know what my mind is often like. I don't smile much. I get nervous easily, although I try to hide it. I have bouts of social awkwardness.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 PM

16,497 posts, read 20,042,833 times
Don't ever invite me to a Pot party as I'll be the most boring person in attendance, unless you like looking at someone in a catatonic stupor.

I haven't smoked it in decades, but I quickly zone out, and can't get a word out of my mouth, it's like I've suddenly developed lockjaw. Oh, these types who can jabber away the whole time they're stoned, what planet do they come from?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:42 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,207,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have tried marijuana once. I did it the day I turned 24 years old(I'm 26 now). My friend gave it to me. I didn't know how to smoke it. He had to teach me.

When I smoked it, I felt like it was going to my head. It felt kind of good to be honest. I wasn't trying to, but this cheesy, yet relaxed smile came upon my face. I was smiling and was feeling good. I felt happy and relaxed, as opposed to my normal feelings of serious and uptight. I felt laid back, calm, and focused. At the same time, my stomach hurt. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I just wanted to sit there. I went to sleep early that day. The next morning I felt very focused and "normal". I felt like I was thinking deeper than ever.

However, with those feelings, I also felt like I wasn't in control of myself. I felt like I was outside of myself, like I was being controlled by something else, like I was losing it.

Doing drugs is not a normal activity for me, and I don't want it to be like that. It might have felt good that one time to be high. On the other hand, it isn't me. That is why I don't do drugs. It isn't being addicted to marijuana that I'm worried about. It just isn't me.
The bolded part of your quote is exactly what happened to me when I first smoked it. I became very laid back during my smoking phase, which lead to me being very social too.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:45 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,531,865 times
It makes you, uh, smarter...

Old 05-24-2012, 02:49 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,207,448 times
Quote:

Marijuana is a mild halucinogen. I think it can be a harder, more serious drug than most people think, but its abuse and addiction is more subtle in its effects and toll. As somebody else mentioned, it's generally thought one has to be predisposed to psychosis to be thrust into it by marijuana.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,190,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Here's the thing, I can always tell when she is high either when she calls me on the phone or emails me. She is scattered brained and her thoughts are a mess. I read her emails and after the first two sentences, its like ahh ok, she must have been high when she wrote this. In her mind, her conversations are crystal clear. All those big plans she thinks about never come to fruition. I have known her for over 20 yrs and its the same thing over and over. She is going to start her own business, she is going to write a novel, etc etc. Personally I think when she comes down, reality kicks in, she doesn't like it and smokes again to dream about what she would like to do.
And that's the problem with weed my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or