Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

I've tried it about five times now, smoked joints, bongs, a can, eaten it. The effect isn't too marked, I feel chilled, spaced out, contemplative and talkative but I'm a spacey, deep thinker in general who often has weird thoughts. Like alcohol, it can paradoxically make me intensely self aware yet detached. Like others, it makes me feel an acute sense of my own mortality as well as an almost spiritual insight at its most intense. It can be like ecstasy lite, making me more loving and open to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I haven't taken any medication or used drugs in a very long time. My Paxil-taking and marijuana phase was in 2006. I've been thinking about Wellbutrin though.

I agree marijuana shouldn't be used as medication. It certainly won't help you in school or work, unless you want to work fast food. You can't be high all the time and shouldn't be. Staying in an altered perception all the time is probably pretty dangerous, if you want to get serious about it, including marijuana's subtle half-life effects. The last time I smoked, which was an isolated incident, I still felt the effects the next day. If a person smokes everyday, then that means they would constantly be under the drug's effect to some extent. Of course, an addict probably wouldn't recognize that fact.

I also agree (if you smoke at all) it should be a social occasion and only once in a while.

It's interesting that it gives you a stimulative effect.

As I always say, never mix business with pleasure. I know what you mean when sometimes the effects are felt the next day. Not always, but it's more so when alcohol is also involved. However; there was one time as a teenager when I was in Florida I smoked this stuff, and WOW! It was our last day there, and the next morning we were driving back to Cleveland. Half the trip home I just felt my brain was turned inside out. We were coming from Tampa area, so I think by the time we hit Knoxville is when the haze finally started to really clear. Nevertheless, marijuana for the most part is a hell of a lot safer than the other illegal, as well as legal substances.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
I hate when people say they smoke weed to feel normal. Like are you serious?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:49 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Now this one is new to me and I grew up when it was very popular in CA to toke and never heard anyone say this.

They smoked it to not be normal

Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
That would be called dependency.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
I loved getting high. Just relax...nothing really matters. Everything is cool. Of course...I had a crap job, crap car, loser boyfriend....but everything was "cool"...

I stopped getting high, finished college, got a new job, a boy friend who was not a loser....and life was much better.

Smoking pot takes motivation out of you. Motivation to change or do anything for improving your life.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:23 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I loved getting high. Just relax...nothing really matters. Everything is cool. Of course...I had a crap job, crap car, loser boyfriend....but everything was "cool"...

I stopped getting high, finished college, got a new job, a boy friend who was not a loser....and life was much better.

Smoking pot takes motivation out of you. Motivation to change or do anything for improving your life.
It's good to hear about all the progress you've made. But when you were actively smoking and in that situation do you think you were a loser at the time too? Do you feel you escaped and your ex is still trapped? Or do you think you 2 are really fundamentally different?

My brother is an abuser and isn't doing anything with his life. He just turned 20, and has no job, but a longterm GF and a daughter. So I definitely see the effects of marijuana's abuse. I think it provides him an artificial feel good or go to, so in that effect it keeps him from taking the action to get something real started in his life for happiness, like a job so he can get a car he wants, have money, his own place, etc. It sucks, but the drug seems to keep him trapped and I know it must be hard for a person to escape that. I've heard it delays maturity (arrested development, I guess). He's got big issues to face, going out and working and being responsible is a big task to look forward to when you're not doing it yet.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:14 AM

72 posts, read 170,545 times
If you are intellectually mediocre or worse, have standard American dreams of an upper middle class life and generally don't require creativity in your day-to-day aspirations, I recommend sobriety coupled with small bouts caffeine.

The rest of us benefit from the occasional perspective-changer.

A substance that allows one to be happy in the moment while calming the materialistic impulse is not to be confused with a substance that makes one satisfied with a mediocre life. That confusion is the result of a weak values system, commonly found in Americans who seek nothing in this world but validation toys.

My view is that if pot was a strong enough drug to completely curb your impulse for self-improvement, kill yourself. Seriously. Life gets wayyyy harder than overcoming the "chill" of the most mild of intoxicants. If you can't handle pot, you likely can't handle much.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:21 AM

72 posts, read 170,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
It's good to hear about all the progress you've made. But when you were actively smoking and in that situation do you think you were a loser at the time too? Do you feel you escaped and your ex is still trapped? Or do you think you 2 are really fundamentally different?

My brother is an abuser and isn't doing anything with his life. He just turned 20, and has no job, but a longterm GF and a daughter. So I definitely see the effects of marijuana's abuse. I think it provides him an artificial feel good or go to, so in that effect it keeps him from taking the action to get something real started in his life for happiness, like a job so he can get a car he wants, have money, his own place, etc. It sucks, but the drug seems to keep him trapped and I know it must be hard for a person to escape that. I've heard it delays maturity (arrested development, I guess). He's got big issues to face, going out and working and being responsible is a big task to look forward to when you're not doing it yet.
Heroin is a strong enough drug to completely overtake ones life. Pot just isn't.

If it wasn't pot, it would have been chocolate chip cookies, daytime television, chronic masturbation or video games.

A loser is a loser.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
Heroin is a strong enough drug to completely overtake ones life. Pot just isn't.

If it wasn't pot, it would have been chocolate chip cookies, daytime television, chronic masturbation or video games.

A loser is a loser.
I think pot can indeed totally take over someone's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology