U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM

36,969 posts, read 17,437,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
Hell to me is getting everything I want with little to no effort, no challenge, and no obstacles to overcome.

Hmmm, that is typically description of post corporal heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:30 PM

399 posts, read 493,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Hmmm, that is typically description of post corporal heaven.
Yeah, I'm aware. But I feel that Image occurs when people have stopped following their own hearts and choose instead to follow that manual of good behavior imposed on us. I'm Christian, but I know from experience that a perfect world where I get all I want is boring. That's hell.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,402,476 times
"People(others) being hell" is mostly do to our own projections(IMHO). If we're feeling a bit negative, cynical, or anxious we tend to view the outside world(people, places, etc) the same. If we're feeling a bit more chipper, positive and optimistic that day....we tend to paint/picture the outside world the same. Now, switch "your" projections and replace them with the "others" projections(I believe the old folks called it, "walking in somebody else's shoes"). That person who is sneering at you with tones of anger could possibly just be having one of "those" days, and is projecting their emotions outwardly; so, you take ownership of "their" projection and it creates hostility(or hell) within you. It's a difficult road(i'm still just a newborn in this regard), but attainment of our earthly heaven, to me, is when "we" no longer take ownership of others' projections; and learn to become, not more accepting nor tolerant, but more aware of all of our common psychology's and subsequent sufferings....hopefully, leading to understanding. Peace

Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
Yeah, I'm aware. But I feel that Image occurs when people have stopped following their own hearts and choose instead to follow that manual of good behavior imposed on us. I'm Christian, but I know from experience that a perfect world where I get all I want is boring. That's hell.
You've made me curious...there has been a point in your life where the conditions you described prevailed?

Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 PM

900 posts, read 1,446,540 times
Lol can be

Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,366,980 times
Earth would be great if it weren't for people. Does that answer your question?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Earth would be great if it weren't for people. Does that answer your question?
If there were no people, by what standards would the judgment great or not great be taking place? The Earth isn't self evaluating, you know. It was just as happy being a flaming ball of gas as it is being host to land and oceans.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:25 PM

5,877 posts, read 4,023,523 times
I don't like many people. I hate being around people, I hate business. In theory it'd be cool to live in those big cities like NYC or LA until you factor in that so many other people live there. Other people suffocate and restrict you. It's why I'm a runner. Running is a solo sport and it's my own slice of freedom. When I'm running, I'm at peace. Then I have to reenter the world.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:50 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,144,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I absolutely agree with the OP. When I get to know people, I ask myself after we part, "Am I happier for knowing that person. Am I left angry, tense, depressed after I talk to them? Do they add to my life in a positive way?" I determine who will be and will not be in my life this way. Because it is after all, MY LIFE.

Of course, the exception would be my children, but if I do my job, this won't be an issue.
I seldom assess things by what bearing they have on my well being. I take it all, the good and the bad, as it comes. It's life.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:52 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,144,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
"People(others) being hell" is mostly do to our own projections(IMHO). If we're feeling a bit negative, cynical, or anxious we tend to view the outside world(people, places, etc) the same. If we're feeling a bit more chipper, positive and optimistic that day....we tend to paint/picture the outside world the same. Now, switch "your" projections and replace them with the "others" projections(I believe the old folks called it, "walking in somebody else's shoes"). That person who is sneering at you with tones of anger could possibly just be having one of "those" days, and is projecting their emotions outwardly; so, you take ownership of "their" projection and it creates hostility(or hell) within you. It's a difficult road(i'm still just a newborn in this regard), but attainment of our earthly heaven, to me, is when "we" no longer take ownership of others' projections; and learn to become, not more accepting nor tolerant, but more aware of all of our common psychology's and subsequent sufferings....hopefully, leading to understanding. Peace
Well said. We always view the world through the prism of our own weaknesses/failings/insecurities. When I'm happy, I tend to see more approval around me...although ironically, other folk seem morose in COMPARISON. While if I'm a bit blue, I'm almost jealous when I see everyone laughing and smiling. I'm a totally different person when I'm depressed/anxious/distracted versus being happy/free/gregarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or