U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM

35,828 posts, read 39,526,936 times

Advertisements

Any strong emotion is likely to elicit tears from me. I've been known to tear up not only when feeling grief, but when I'm touched by someone's kindness, when I'm very relieved, when feeling extreme empathy for someone else, when I'm completely exhausted, and when very frustrated or angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:11 PM

900 posts, read 1,449,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Any strong emotion is likely to elicit tears from me. I've been known to tear up not only when feeling grief, but when I'm touched by someone's kindness, when I'm very relieved, when feeling extreme empathy for someone else, when I'm completely exhausted, and when very frustrated or angry.
Me too

Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 AM

97 posts, read 182,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
Hope I've got this in the right forum.
I cry (thank God this happened over text) when Im having a hard time and someone is nice or understanding to me. Also , Im not great with compliments , but I do the right thing and just say "thank you" when given one. Though my natural inclination is to not want to do what ever I was complimented on well anymore. Anyone explain this?

This happened to me the other day. (crying b/c someone was nice to me).
I think because if someone is genuinely nice to you, you realize that people really do care about you. And it makes you happy and sad all at once and too much to emotionally handle. So you cry. For me, going my whole life not feeling loved.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:13 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,796,749 times
Get this.

I have experienced a boatload of hardship in the past 6 years, and especially 3 years. Probably enough to drive anybody mad - near suicide.

During few or none of the traumatic events I've experienced though, have I cried. At least at the traumatic event (my father dying, my brain tumor appearing on MRI, house burning down, etc.) itself. I don't cry when I realize that I'm starting from zero in a bad economy, I don't cry when I think of all the things that were stolen from me.

I HAVE cried, though, when others have treated me well in reaction to these tragedies. And I cry at things that show me what I *could* be were it not for these crosses I have to bear, as well as things that point, if ever so subtly, at the situation I am in.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:22 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,306,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Get this.

I have experienced a boatload of hardship in the past 6 years, and especially 3 years. Probably enough to drive anybody mad - near suicide.

During few or none of the traumatic events I've experienced though, have I cried. At least at the traumatic event (my father dying, my brain tumor appearing on MRI, house burning down, etc.) itself. I don't cry when I realize that I'm starting from zero in a bad economy, I don't cry when I think of all the things that were stolen from me.

I HAVE cried, though, when others have treated me well in reaction to these tragedies. And I cry at things that show me what I *could* be were it not for these crosses I have to bear, as well as things that point, if ever so subtly, at the situation I am in.
Do you just not feel the emotional pain strong enough, or do the tears just not come?

I find emotional pain is way worse if you can't physically cry. I felt that for a time. Now I'm more prone to tears than anytime since I was a kid.

This may sound RIDICULOUS to some, but recently I heard a very stirring old song and I began to feel emotional, like I would cry at any moment. Just the stirring feeling patriotism (I'm not even a very patriotic person) got to me. I imagined all the people who'd fought and died in the name of their country.

I've seldom cried in self-pity though...I cry at sad movies, at what I see in the world. I did cry in the US when I thought I was going to die, I cried when my sister was being abused, I cried when our dog died...sometimes these days I feel so depressed I just cry for no reason. By all this I don't mean sob or wail, just get teared up.

Did you not cry much when your father died? I suppose some people just get hardened to suffering.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,188,539 times
tvdxer...I'm sorry that you have been through so many hardships over the past few years. I can relate because my life got turned "upside down" over the past few years too...I've gotten used to "going it alone" most of the time. I don't ask for help and I'm not after pity either...I just "do" what needs to be "done" on my own and don't expect anything from others. So if someone does offer me a big "act of kindness" in one way or another I am speechless and may even cry!...It's all so out of the "ordinary" to me! Sometimes it doesn't even seem "real" at first. (Like something out of a movie!) But I am definitely happy and grateful and appreciative!...I don't take anything "for granted" anymore. And I don't feel that other people "owe me" things...Last week I had a chance to "spoil" a friend who has been going through some pretty rough times too. It was hard for my friend to accept my love and support and my desire to "whisk her away" for an hour or two to have a little fun and be "pampered" for a change....Sometimes we're at the "bottom" of a "big hole" and it's hard to "find joy" in anything until we start to get a little "hope" back again. And a sense of "deservability." Have you noticed this?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,039 times
Id like to get in on this whenever people praise me or tell me I'm nice i get really depressed .... I'm out in Bangkok training Muay thai and i struggled to order a meal and the woman who helped me said she would get my bill. I felt like so uncomfortable in fact i walked home after forcing her to take the money and was almost in tears i felt really depressed for the rest of the night.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,039 times
i think there are two things that are different i cried when i Saw my girlfriend (who i met only for 10 days in laos) for the first time for 6 months when she moved over but this was not the same

Old 10-15-2012, 12:50 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,891,773 times
Some of the most abused people I know cry to me. They're probably in that moment in their lives where they don't feel they have anyone to truly turn to.

Knowing that someone won't hurt them while they are vulnerable makes them cry, because it's like a stress release or sign in relief knowing that finally they can breath and be who they are while sharing really raw intimate details they stuff down inside.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:53 PM

11,076 posts, read 7,199,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
it sounds like something a person would do who is not used to niceness or compassion, who expects to be treated badly and for things to be hard.
I second that, and would like to add; For some of us, being complimented is a great shock, we've not been given praise, and never expect it.

Iíve been moved to tears, just from getting rep comments, some are so nice.

Now from the cynical me.

If you get complimented at work, don't expect any extra pay for the better job, extra hours, or good deed that you've done, and don't get emotional about it.

It's just my experience!

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 10-15-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology