U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:14 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,444,950 times

Advertisements

Boredom happens when we don't see anything fresh or new in a situation (or in a person that's with us), and we process the experience as "same ole, same ole." It makes us wish we could leave the situation and get on with something a little more to our liking. So, in a way, there is some anxiousness associated with it. But it's the lack of stimulation that causes the anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,648,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwalkLikeArabbit View Post
Right now, I feel totally bored...

But, lately I been trying to connect mental feelings with physical. Such as, anxiety and the "tensing up" of muscles.

I feel like, boredom.. you "feel" that your mind is empty, like an empty flash drive...

Your brain "feels" empty.

If you were out earlier, say a party, you come home.. your mind feels full... full of data...

It's like, if you go on a trip with an iPod with 500 songs on it, you got 500 songs worth of data for the long trip.. Knowing you have that data to last, well partially can remove the boredom of the trip..

But, is it really all mental?? Does our brain actually "feel" lighter or less, when there are less, uhh, say, electrical connections going on (IE, less data being stored in your brain)?

Cause my head sure feels light and empty. Literally. I wonder, if the same way a tensed up muscle makes you feel anxious, a lighter head feels bored.

I agree on the part where boredom equals feeling empty (I think).

But I also have noticed that lack of a desire to do something equals boredom.

Usually, your brain has triggers: oh, I like to go do that.... desires that get triggerred

but sometimes it's like our brain is disconnected from the triggers and whatever we think of does NOT sound desirable to do.... we lack desires.... and then we feel bored

So boredom = lack of any desires

Imagine that a brain is like a fishing pole and fish are like desires. If no fish gets hooked on our fishing pole in our brain, we just sit there and do nothing and want nothing and feel empty AND BORED

Old 06-05-2012, 12:38 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,178,045 times
I take a lot of pride in being a self-motivated person. (As someone who can always find a way to amuse myself!)...I grew-up as an only child and most of the time I amused myself as a kid. I kept going "inside" to search for new interests and new ways to keep my life exciting etc...So it is different when I find myself bored! What does it mean? What's going on? What's wrong? What do I need to "look at" or examine or do next? Do I need a complete change of pace for awhile if possible?...Are there some feelings I need to "own" or process? Am I going through some big internal changes? What's up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or