U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 05:32 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,747,741 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not, I have been taking Ambien for two years now.

I have a naturally unstable sleep schedule, and the chemotherapy that I was taking at the time seemed to aggravate it.

I was first on a 5 mg dose, but found it to be ineffective, so they put me on 10 mg.

For inducing sleep, 10 mg was effective. But it also had a "fringe benefit" of a sort of euphoria, which encouraged me to stay up on it.

This "high" that I would best describe as wearing "rose-colored glasses". Before taking Ambien, the stresses and obsessions of life would weigh down on me unduly; I would approach things with a realistic pessimism; after taking it, I would become much more optimistic about things, in addition to an elevation of my general sense of well-being. Also, I would be able to express interest in things in a more sustained fashion than when completely sober.

I also experience an elevated level of nostalgia while on Ambien.

My mental function would also be slowed down. I usually type at 70-80 wpm; with Ambien, I type anywhere from 25 to 50 wpm. I make errors and dwell on them longer. Also, in an online object reasoning test, I consistently got lower scores while under the influence of Ambien.

My inhibitions would be somewhat lowered; I often became loquacious. I would start up conversations on Facebook or say things that I would regret when I was "sober", but I never experienced a complete release from judgment or reason. For example, I never drove after taking Ambien, except on one emergency occasion.

I would feel lovey-dovey and romantic, but in a non-sexual way. I think others around me feel the same way.

On rare occasions, I would hallucinate. On a hot night, I thought the sound of my fan was radio stations fading into one another. I had the sense to know that wasn't actually the case, or at least to doubt it was; but it sounded like that.

One way to tell that I am on Ambien is my coordination. I am notably uncoordinated in my movements on Ambien, but not so much as a person who has had a lot to drink.

As for the dosage, usually 10 mg is sufficient; but except during the first month, when nothing less seemed to work, a 5 mg pill often worked when my stomach was not as full. If my stomach was empty, a 5 mg pill cut in half to make 2.5 mg worked. Note that doctors often prescribe 10 mg and sometimes 20 mg. I suspect that if I took 20 mg at once, I would be a mess.

I have a combination of depression, anxiety, and obsessive thoughts, and if you have read other posts in which I describe the things that have happened in my life, you could see why. An ideal anti-depressant would provide the effects of Ambien on me without the mental slowing, lack of coordination, or other ills it brings.

This should be seen in no way as an encouragement to abuse Ambien or use it without a proper indication. Many, if not most, of the reviews online report adverse effects much worse than the ones I have described here, as well as complete amnesia.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,712,600 times
If you fighting sleep in order to get high off of the medication then you are abusing it. Perhaps you should try a different type of sleeping pill. I tried Ambien for sleep once, but instead of making me sleep it just made me black out. An ideal antidpressent does not make you feel euphoric. It makes it so that you can get out of the bed and make it through the day. I would suggest some therapy because IMO it sounds like you are trying to use a substance to make you feel good instead of doing the work to figure out why you don't feel good in the first place. Be careful because that is a slippery slope. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 PM

72,638 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Lunesta is much milder, doesn't have the side effects, and is just as effective.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
If you fighting sleep in order to get high off of the medication then you are abusing it. Perhaps you should try a different type of sleeping pill. I tried Ambien for sleep once, but instead of making me sleep it just made me black out. An ideal antidpressent does not make you feel euphoric. It makes it so that you can get out of the bed and make it through the day. I would suggest some therapy because IMO it sounds like you are trying to use a substance to make you feel good instead of doing the work to figure out why you don't feel good in the first place. Be careful because that is a slippery slope. Good luck.
Actually, it doesn't make me immediately tired. The euphoria arrives first, then the sleepiness (that's the usual order) I have stayed up on it past its active time, though.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 PM

3,749 posts, read 7,233,538 times
I lose about an hour where I will have conversations, do things and yet be unable to recall clearly. I eat, and eat and eat. And, while I sleep I cannot necessarily say it is restful sleep.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:59 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
5mg keeps me out 6 hours. I don't particularly enjoy the sleep I get from Ambien because it's more of a "coma" and I'm not aware of being asleep. I don't experience any of the wake up, roll over, and drift off again stuff I get when I sleep normally and once I wake up that's it, I'm awake. Unfortunately I've had trouble with insomnia ever since having a hysterectomy a little over a year ago. Before that I could fall asleep even under the worst and most stressful conditions! Sometimes I take a Benedryl instead since I have bad allergies anyway and may as well get a 2-fer from it. I like the sleep I get with that better than Ambien but it's hit and miss.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,538,665 times
I have delayed sleep phase syndrome, so I've been on both Lunesta and Ambien at different times. I tend to always fight sleep, even without medication. When I'm on the 'edge' of sleep, especially if I'm very tired, I tend to have flashes of disturbing images like bloody bodies or leering faces. So I fight it because I don't want to fall into a bad dream.

I think because of this I fought the Ambien and was awake for too long while under its influence. I have a tapestry above my bed and the picture on it started to move and shift. So did the sheet on my bed...it looked like it was rippling. I got up and made it down the stairs without breaking my neck somehow and woke up eight hours later on the living room floor. Never again.

My mother took it one time and came out to the kitchen and screamed at my father to feed her. He made her cereal and she fall asleep with her head on the table before he could serve it. She won't take it again either...she had no memory of her actions.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:53 PM

LOL, some of these stories give me a much-needed laugh.

A lot of people experience hunger or get the munchies while on Ambien. I can't say that's happened to me, ever.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 PM

25 posts, read 65,676 times
Ambien has no effect on me at all, it doesn't even make me a little tired. It effects the other women in my family terribly, though. My aunt sends weird e-mails and texts while sleep-walking on Ambien. A few weeks ago she actually applied for a job! Strangely enough, she was actually hired. My mom acts like a sloppy drunk when she takes Ambien. She'll stay in bed for about an hour, then she starts doing weird things. Last time, she drew a butterfly on the wall in permanent marker then went back to sleep on the kitchen counter. Once a few years ago, she went grocery shopping and spent $200.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,801,442 times
No effect whatsoever.

Lunesta on the other hand completely knocks me out in a not-too-unpleasant way. It doesn't work for long though. I build up an extreme resistance to sedatives very quickly.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 05-29-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or