U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Does society dislike and/or discriminate against introverts?
Yes 79 89.77%
No 9 10.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-15-2012, 03:23 PM

15,412 posts, read 11,660,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post

Don't you think there are different types of introverts though? Some are loners. Most I think are not loners. Do you think?
I would imagine so (as well as different types of extroverts).

Case in point:

Quote:
Introverts recharge by being alone. Extroverts recharge by being around people.
I'm both. Sometimes, being in good company is very restorative to me, sometimes, it's alone time that is restorative. Sometimes, being alone is the last thing in the world I want, and other times, I can't get away from people fast enough. There is definitely a spectrum.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-15-2012, 04:10 PM

14,756 posts, read 12,288,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Don't you think there are different types of introverts though? Some are loners. Most I think are not loners. Do you think?

At heart I'm an introvert, but I prefer being with people. The reason for that is that I love the safety and comfort and fun of a group, but I'm not at all boisterous, explosive, don't expect to be the center of attention, don't SEEK to be the focus of everything. Love hiding inside my group.
First and foremost, I can't believe this thread is running at 19 and 2, with people thinking introverts are discriminated against. There are criteria for discrimination. If the introvert is in a position best suited for extroverts, then they might have advancement problems, but NOT discrimination issues.

Introverts are not loners. I have a small group of friends, and always have. Within that group, I know that I can be obnoxious and shut down my filter...and so can my friends. But, yes, I like to recharge my batteries alone.

Unread 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM

503 posts, read 505,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
(speaking from an American perspective here)

If you are an introvert, do you feel like society dislikes and/or discriminates against introverts? By discriminate, I mean that introversion is seen as weird or deviant in some ways. This is not meant to be construed as an anti-extroversion thread.

Not all introverts have poor social skills, nor are they anti-social. For example, I deal with people all day as part of my job, but when I come home I like to relax and do my own thing instead of going out to bars, etc.
No, I don't feel like society has discriminated against or dislikes me for being an introvert, at least the society I have interacted with so far. I get along very well with nearly everyone I come into contact with (situations at work come readily to mind, and also the people I meet on my travels). For being socially awkward internally (and habitually anti-social), I somehow have managed to assimilate some workable social skills which perhaps goes quite some way in making many of my interactions affable. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

Unread 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM

14,756 posts, read 12,288,120 times
I was just thinking about this. While I was in college, I had a part-time job at one of the medium-sized hospitals about 5 miles from my university.

There was a room on the same floor as the office I worked in. It was for the pathologist. (Once the door was cracked open, and I say this yellowed body on the table - probably liver failure and jaundice - bleh). At any rate, I doubt that this physician, who performed the autopsies, would have his professional status jeopardized because he was probably an introvert and didn't do the mucky-muck thing. He seemed like a studious, short, middle-aged Hispanic man and had thick glasses.

Unread 06-15-2012, 06:49 PM

5,547 posts, read 1,353,041 times
I see what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
First and foremost, I can't believe this thread is running at 19 and 2, with people thinking introverts are discriminated against. There are criteria for discrimination. If the introvert is in a position best suited for extroverts, then they might have advancement problems, but NOT discrimination issues.

Introverts are not loners. I have a small group of friends, and always have. Within that group, I know that I can be obnoxious and shut down my filter...and so can my friends. But, yes, I like to recharge my batteries alone.

Unread 06-15-2012, 11:03 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,696,022 times
I think our society tends to prefer extroverts because let's face it... extroverts can be fun. It's easy to strike up a conversation with an extrovert because you don't have to give them much for them to go off on a soliloquy. I think the media and society in general seems to put a premium on highly extrovert personality types (and as the book Quiet mentions, we admire introverts if they are insanely rich (Bill Gates) or famous). If you are quiet you run the risk of being labeled a snob/b*tch/weird (plus it doesn't make for good tv). If you call yourself an introvert to someone, chances are they are going to think of it as something negative... (weird, meek, loner, antisocial, etc.). There's also surveys that state that people trust extroverts more than introverts (and I can't name the source).

I've never been one to have a bunch of friends but I have really good, wonderful people in my life who know me well. But I don't think that's the social holy grail though - I think our society presses for having a bunch of friends like merit badges... it gives you validation of sorts to your extroverted awesomeness... when really it's just superficial relationships. So I don't know if it's discrimination as it is just a societal petty preference of sorts.

In any case, I embrace my personality type (INFJ) - I like being an introvert because it's who I am.

Just my two cents.

Unread 06-16-2012, 01:47 AM

228 posts, read 171,902 times
I've felt that it was introverts who jealousy targeted happy-go-lucky social butterflies for ostracism and slander (usually committed secretly and discreetly behind closed doors). At least I've experienced that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
(speaking from an American perspective here)

If you are an introvert, do you feel like society dislikes and/or discriminates against introverts? By discriminate, I mean that introversion is seen as weird or deviant in some ways. This is not meant to be construed as an anti-extroversion thread.

Not all introverts have poor social skills, nor are they anti-social. For example, I deal with people all day as part of my job, but when I come home I like to relax and do my own thing instead of going out to bars, etc.

The reason why I asked is because I've noticed how society seems to prefer extroverted individuals as opposed to introverted individuals, if given a choice. You see this all the time on dating sites, job applications, etc.

Unread 06-16-2012, 01:58 AM

2,334 posts, read 701,694 times
I am a diehard extrovert, and I am perfectly fine with nice introverts. I have good friends that are nice introverts. The ones that may enjoy their alone time but won't cut people out of their lives, etc because they are too extroverted.

As for introverts who are also mean, I can't stand them. I'd rather be made fun of by 30 people than have 1 tell me not to talk to them for good.

3 years ago a girl told me not to talk to her. We went to the same high school. I wanted to be her friend, nothing more. I was 16, she was 17. I was very popular there and fell in with good crowds. Well I told my friends about this girl, how she was so smart, etc, and how we were becoming friends. She didn't like the attention, I guess, and told me not to talk to her on a very hot August day in 2009.

She graduated in 2010 and went to a university way down south, I graduated in 2011 and went to Tennessee Tech. I've not had another person like her in my life since. None have come along.

Unread 06-16-2012, 05:36 AM

1,892 posts, read 1,281,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I think our society tends to prefer extroverts because let's face it... extroverts can be fun. It's easy to strike up a conversation with an extrovert because you don't have to give them much for them to go off on a soliloquy. I think the media and society in general seems to put a premium on highly extrovert personality types (and as the book Quiet mentions, we admire introverts if they are insanely rich (Bill Gates) or famous). If you are quiet you run the risk of being labeled a snob/b*tch/weird (plus it doesn't make for good tv). If you call yourself an introvert to someone, chances are they are going to think of it as something negative... (weird, meek, loner, antisocial, etc.). There's also surveys that state that people trust extroverts more than introverts (and I can't name the source).

I've never been one to have a bunch of friends but I have really good, wonderful people in my life who know me well. But I don't think that's the social holy grail though - I think our society presses for having a bunch of friends like merit badges... it gives you validation of sorts to your extroverted awesomeness... when really it's just superficial relationships. So I don't know if it's discrimination as it is just a societal petty preference of sorts.

In any case, I embrace my personality type (INFJ) - I like being an introvert because it's who I am.

Just my two cents.
Very well said!

Unread 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM

2,249 posts, read 3,709,306 times
Please with the stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology