Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,796,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Alright, I have a good friend who is 22 years old, about to turn 23. From knowing him, he seems like a very competent, intelligent dude, who is also a very attractive jock type and has a way with the ladies. He is completely normal in every way when in public. He graduated from a prestigious college and works a very good job. He lives with his parents though and today I went over to his house and was quite surprised by what I saw.

Apparently when he's at home, he assumes the role of a 5 or 6 year old boy. He cries or throws a fit when he doesn't get his way. He runs around naked all the time, or "with his wee-wee showing" as he says it, and his room is full of toys and looks like a child's room. I got over to his house and found him in his room on the floor naked playing with legos. He asked me to play with him and reluctantly I did for a few minutes. He loves watching blue's clues and veggietales. He calls his mother "mommy" and tells her when he has to "go potty". Needless to say I am quite baffled by this and wonder what might cause him to act this way. I asked his mom and she said it started when he came back from college.

I ended up having to leave because it was time for his "nappie-pooh" (nap) haha.

What would cause a 22 year old man to act so childlike when at home? I did a google and discovered something called adult baby syndrome but that doesn't fit because he doesn't act like an infant but a very young boy and as far as I know it isn't a sexual fetish. He has a girlfriend and everything seems normal there. Anybody heard of anything like this?
BWAHAHAHA...AHAHAHAHA

I can understand having toys and playng with legos...even watching cartoons. I watch cartoons and anime, I collect hotwheels and have other toys...on display. But there is something wrong there...really wrong. You ddn't mention a dad in the picture, and with his mother exacerbating it, that could be a key. They'd both need help. One could assume it's a sort of sexual thing, fetish or kink, bu I wouldn't want to stick around long enogh to find out, as aparently they're very nonchelant about it with visitors[this is oddly hilarious] seeing as you were there in the house of crazy. He acts decent outside everywhere else, so maybe there could be some shame in it, and this dude has a girlfriend, who has probably been over there, you gotta give her credit for sticking with him, lol she may be his "one." I mean I'd question her sanity too, but in his defense; it's nice to find somebody who's just all on board. Yet, what about previous ones, he'd have to be a laughing stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 06:20 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,796,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I have a dog which get terrified if a smoke detector battery runs low and it starts that occasional chirping. The dog will run outside and hide. Or on the 4th of July and fireworks, she will hide under the bed.

These things will not harm the dog, but she thinks so! I don't force the dog to come out from under the bed or come inside and act "normal", rather I reassure her everything is OK. I let her come out from the bed on her own or come inside when she feels it is safe.

And something similar may be going on with your friend. He may be terrified of the real world out there or something which may have happened. Maybe he is "hiding"?

I would not be too quick to try to drag him away from his "safe place" or suggest he go to counseling right away. Rather I might allow him to be the way he wants for now - maybe play Legos with him a bit. Maybe over time slowly suggest playing with things older kids would play with from time to time.

If he realizes you are a safe person and non-threatening, then maybe he would feel safe venturing out with you or doing more grown up things. Then when you get his trust, perhaps suggest counseling.

Actually the real world can be terrifying. I sure would like to "run away and hide" sometimes myself!
If I was his friend, and maybe for academics sake I endured it...mind you I'm not straight...he'd better keep his clothes on. He's grown, running and hiding consist of having a drink, or hitting a blunt.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:03 PM

41 posts, read 32,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
If I was his friend, and maybe for academics sake I endured it...mind you I'm not straight...he'd better keep his clothes on. He's grown, running and hiding consist of having a drink, or hitting a blunt.
What doesn't being straight have to do with smoking weed or drinking? I'm straight and I bet my last dollar I pearl them much better than you, backwards, two dutches stuck together called oowops here and with a crutch too. Did you drink 3 forties in the past hour and type this good? I did. This kid OP is talking about is just sick in the head and his mother is more mentally ill than him. She fostered, created, and loves this weirdness. Leave them alone before you end up like the others, locked in the basement saying "the lotion goes on the skin".

Old 12-29-2016, 12:54 AM

866 posts, read 627,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Alright, I have a good friend who is 22 years old, about to turn 23. From knowing him, he seems like a very competent, intelligent dude, who is also a very attractive jock type and has a way with the ladies. He is completely normal in every way when in public. He graduated from a prestigious college and works a very good job. He lives with his parents though and today I went over to his house and was quite surprised by what I saw.

Apparently when he's at home, he assumes the role of a 5 or 6 year old boy. He cries or throws a fit when he doesn't get his way. He runs around naked all the time, or "with his wee-wee showing" as he says it, and his room is full of toys and looks like a child's room. I got over to his house and found him in his room on the floor naked playing with legos. He asked me to play with him and reluctantly I did for a few minutes. He loves watching blue's clues and veggietales. He calls his mother "mommy" and tells her when he has to "go potty". Needless to say I am quite baffled by this and wonder what might cause him to act this way. I asked his mom and she said it started when he came back from college.

I ended up having to leave because it was time for his "nappie-pooh" (nap) haha.

What would cause a 22 year old man to act so childlike when at home? I did a google and discovered something called adult baby syndrome but that doesn't fit because he doesn't act like an infant but a very young boy and as far as I know it isn't a sexual fetish. He has a girlfriend and everything seems normal there. Anybody heard of anything like this?
You'd have to examine his relationship with his parents to understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology