Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Well, okay, but why are Europeans not suffering from the mass obesity we are in the U.S.? There is as much food there (and more variety than here). So why the difference?
Culturally, I'd think we're different. I dislike statistics, but if I went into it, I'd wager that it's simply because Americans eat more, eat less healthily, and are more inactive.

That's a cultural difference.

Last edited by dub dub II; 07-10-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 05:43 PM

884 posts, read 1,171,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I wonder what this OP is going to do after he gets married and his wife gains weight in time ? Or...even himself ? hmmmm....
The OP is someone I would absolutely expect to bail if their SO or spouse gained weight, whether or not it was because of health reasons. I would not at all expect them to be there if things got really bad in that sense. And there are plenty of women who are that way as well, so that's probably who he would end up with. You end up with shallow relationships that way, but maybe that's what he wants, and as long as both people involved know that, I guess I can't fault him.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,302 times
Quote:
Well, okay, but why are Europeans not suffering from the mass obesity we are in the U.S.? There is as much food there (and more variety than here). So why the difference?
Actually, they appear to be. While the prevalence of obesity is Europe is certainly less than in the US, it's growing. The UK, Slovakia and Greece all have obesity prevalence rates over 20% (second link). And the WHO link (third below) specifically says that the prevalence of obesity in Europe has tripled since the 1980's.

Obesity In America Compared To Europe | LIVESTRONG.COM

Obesity statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

WHO/Europe | Obesity

Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I love how the assumption you don't even pick up on is how you think your respect is worthy of being wanted.
Who exactly are you again?
I got this far and instantly liked you. Well said, my friend.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
This is a good chance for you to explain why the U.S. has such mass obesity rates. The mike is yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
Actually, they appear to be. While the prevalence of obesity is Europe is certainly less than in the US, it's growing. The UK, Slovakia and Greece all have obesity prevalence rates over 20% (second link). And the WHO link (third below) specifically says that the prevalence of obesity in Europe has tripled since the 1980's.

Obesity In America Compared To Europe | LIVESTRONG.COM

Obesity statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

WHO/Europe | Obesity

Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Actually some countries in Europe had more obese people than the US, until this recent epidemic in the US. Germany, Greece, Russia have always had a relatively high percentage of obese people, but most of them were in the 50+ age range.

There are many reasons someone could be overweight or obese. As someone posted near the beginning of the thread, chemotherapy and other illness can do it. It can be beyond someone's control. Thyroid problems or other hormonal issues can cause the body to behave in unusual ways, and can make it difficult or impossible to control weight. Weight gain, or a gain in bulk, isn't always due to over-eating. It can be due to factors beyond the person's control. So there's no point in blaming people or hating them, because you never know what the cause might be. Why not view them compassionately? You could unexpectedly find yourself in their shoes someday.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,147 times
I remember when I was a kid I was a little chubby and my cousin used to make fun of me all the time. He's about 4 years older than me, about 31 right now.

He used to brag about being able to eat what he wanted without having to exercise. He really was a handsome man but a toothpick. He's 6ft 4 and used to weigh about 175 or so.

Fast forward 14 years later and he is close to 400 pounds.

Yup, Karma is a b itch!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,302 times
Quote:
This is a good chance for you to explain why the U.S. has such mass obesity rates. The mike is yours.
I never said I could explain why the US has such high obesity rates. I was simply refuting your assertion that Europe isn't experiencing high obesity rates like the US is.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,967,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I love how the assumption you don't even pick up on is how you think your respect is worthy of being wanted.
Who exactly are you again?

I think highly of myself because I have great self-respect. I hope others think their opinions mean something too. I suppose that makes me cocky but I prefer confident...its a thin line though.

So far, I've been insulted several times. The term overweight is extremely PC which no one ever uses minus on TV. People use fat, not overweight and I went the PC route for a reason. I purposely tried to avoid an insult war but so many of you can't fathom having a rational discussion. Review my posts in this thread, not a single insult or curse word unless stupid has magically become a curse word.

If so many of you get so angry over my post, there is something wrong with you needing to insult someone so freely. I already assumed my viewpoint makes me a prick so congrats on making yourself feel good for a few seconds.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,967,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
I never said I could explain why the US has such high obesity rates. I was simply refuting your assertion that Europe isn't experiencing high obesity rates like the US is.

As an American who walked around just about every major European country just six weeks ago, there are ALOT less overweight people...minus Greece.

Europeans get more time off work and the use of public transport is much more common which requires alot more walking than driving a car. Plus, fast food joints aren't around every corner like they are in the states. I'd say these are the main reasons why Europeans have less overweight people.

IMO and just mine, Europeans are more into good drinks than good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.